Speaker Jack question

bartshan-83

So I got sort of a speaker question (relax AJ, don't push people out of the way... ;) ):

Wife and I are closing on our first house at the end of the month, pretty excited. Anyway, the living room and finished basement area both have several jack plates in the wall that appear to be for 1/4" jacks. And there are a lot. I'm talking each plate has 2-4 holes and there are probably 6 plates spread throughout each room. When I looked in the unfinished part of the basement (where there is access to the backs of these walls where the plates are) there seems to be a whole mess of wires (like a nest) and each hole is currently connected to something.

First off, maybe I'm retarded (can we still use this word?) when it comes to the workings of complex wiring, but I've never seen wall plates that contain 1/4" jack holes. Is this common? What is the purpose? I did some googling but I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions.

Second, if there is a cool purpose...what is it and is it something I should take advantage of? I'm sure this is not very answerable with the limited information I've given you, but I was probably just going to replace these things with solid plates. But if this strange configuration means someone else did the grunt work for a legit setup, I'd definitely not want to waste it without checking out what I could do.

Thanks!

So I got sort of a speaker question (relax AJ, don't push people out of the way... ;) ):

Wife and I are closing on our first house at the end of the month, pretty excited. Anyway, the living room and finished basement area both have several jack plates in the wall that appear to be for 1/4" jacks. And there are a lot. I'm talking each plate has 2-4 holes and there are probably 6 plates spread throughout each room. When I looked in the unfinished part of the basement (where there is access to the backs of these walls where the plates are) there seems to be a whole mess of wires (like a nest) and each hole is currently connected to something.

First off, maybe I'm retarded (can we still use this word?) when it comes to the workings of complex wiring, but I've never seen wall plates that contain 1/4" jack holes. Is this common? What is the purpose? I did some googling but I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions.

Second, if there is a cool purpose...what is it and is it something I should take advantage of? I'm sure this is not very answerable with the limited information I've given you, but I was probably just going to replace these things with solid plates. But if this strange configuration means someone else did the grunt work for a legit setup, I'd definitely not want to waste it without checking out what I could do.

Thanks!

Take a picture.

Then remove the wall plate and pull it out so we can see what the punch downs on the back of the plate are.

Take a picture.

Then remove the wall plate and pull it out so we can see what the punch downs on the back of the plate are.

I wish I had...I knew my description wouldn't be very helpful without more.

I'm in the the down-time period where we've done everything we need to do at the house before settlement. Probably won't be back inside for a little while. Whether or not people have thoughts now, I'll definitely take your suggestion and revisit this then.

Does it look like anything on this page....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bn6lLJzo0EQ/l...s_glossary.html

It looks sort of like this one:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.c...lMiniJacks.jpeg

But the holes are larger...like 1/4" jack would fit. When I first saw them, it reminded of something you'd plug a guitar or microphone into.

Maybe it's something else entirely...Darin's right...I need to get a picture.

Thanks, bud. We're pretty excited...been in the apartment for too long. I may have to revisit all of those audio/video/home theater threads now that I actually have some space.

Darn right ya do :thumbdown: This is a great time to be involved with home audio and home theater!