The 3-4 Defense is Here

BB.com is reporting that the switch to 3-4 is official (but that Edwards plans to be flexible in his approach).

Assuming that's true, what does that mean for our current roster? Seems like a lot of changes are in store. Here are a few I can think of:

We need a NT. Williams (our best defensive player IMO) cannot man the nose in a 3-4. Spencer Johnson and Stroud probably can alternate at RDE, and I guess Schobel (or Schobel's replacement?) man the LDE spot, but we really don't have an ideal player there, either.

At linebacker, Maybin obviously takes his hand off of the ground. Poz and Mitchell man the MLB spots? Not so sure about that one...

Other changes/observations?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our outside linebacker corps is about to hit the bricks. Ellison will be a Giant. Nic Harris? I don't know.

we need a NT. Stroud, Williams, and Spencer Johnson are capable of playing end in a 34. Schobel can probably be a flex man the way Jason Taylor was in the later stages of his career.

Maybin and Chris Ellis can be pass rushing OLB's.

Kelsay, who knows. If he bulks up in the offseason to 280 or so he might able to play end.

I'm guessing Schobel is gone. retire, trade or cut. No way he wants to go through the change at this point in his career. he's already on the bubble.

I can't remember where I read it recently (probably here), but I recall Schobel saying he thinks he'd fit better as a 3-4 OLB than in the current 4-3 scheme. That said, he was still non-commital about coming back.