Need some laptop input

Ramius

Mods, if you could leave this here for a day or 2 before banishing it to the consumer digest, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was wondering some opinions on getting a smaller ultrathin laptop versus one of the bigger standard laptops. I'm not too keen on the fact that most laptops made now are monstrous, with 15" screens and larger. I've been looking at the smaller setups (not a netbook), like the 11-13" models with crazy battery life, but my only qualm with those is that they lack an optical drive. I'd have to pick up an external USB DVD drive. My current setup in an old HP with a 14" screen, and since i've been looking in stores, the 15.6" screens just seem too big to comfortably sit in your lap.

So, any thoughts on one setup versus another? Has anyone used the smaller ultrathins? I dont mid getting the external drive, but then you have to lug it along when you travel. But, this may be a better alternative to having to carry a giant laptop everywhere.

For what its worth, since i'm out of school, i'm looking for an all-around laptop. It'd be used for net surfing, bill paying, MS office, music, pictures, and some gaming (not hardcore, and not really any crazy online gaming, just the simpler DVD based 1 player games). I travel a couple times per year via air and then a bunch of other times by car.

Thanks in advance!

If you want a super thin, portable laptop that can reasonably run productivity software, you should consider a macbook air. It's thin, lightweight, and it will suit your needs if you can make the jump from windows to os x. You did mention a dvd player though, which the air does not have. You'd have to get an external dvd player, or use your home network to your advantage (i.e. using a dvd player on another computer on your home network). The macbooks and macbook pros are AWESOME laptops. I have the 15" MBP. You get the dvd superdrive, but it becomes a little thicker, although not as thick as a run-of-the-mill sub $1000 laptop you can buy at a big box store. Obviously price is a drawback for macs. You pay a premium for the apple brand, but you get what you pay for in this instance. I've never had a problem... Hell, the last time i even restarted my computer was when i was forced to due to a software update, about 3 months ago.

Mods, if you could leave this here for a day or 2 before banishing it to the consumer digest, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was wondering some opinions on getting a smaller ultrathin laptop versus one of the bigger standard laptops. I'm not too keen on the fact that most laptops made now are monstrous, with 15" screens and larger. I've been looking at the smaller setups (not a netbook), like the 11-13" models with crazy battery life, but my only qualm with those is that they lack an optical drive. I'd have to pick up an external USB DVD drive. My current setup in an old HP with a 14" screen, and since i've been looking in stores, the 15.6" screens just seem too big to comfortably sit in your lap.

So, any thoughts on one setup versus another? Has anyone used the smaller ultrathins? I dont mid getting the external drive, but then you have to lug it along when you travel. But, this may be a better alternative to having to carry a giant laptop everywhere.

For what its worth, since i'm out of school, i'm looking for an all-around laptop. It'd be used for net surfing, bill paying, MS office, music, pictures, and some gaming (not hardcore, and not really any crazy online gaming, just the simpler DVD based 1 player games). I travel a couple times per year via air and then a bunch of other times by car.

Thanks in advance!

I purchased an ASUS Eee netbook a while back. $289 with shipping/tax/free case. The same is branded by HP, Acer, and several others at different price points.

I spent 45 bucks total from newegg for a UBS ext. dvd/cd because that was the thing to do.

It is an xp home device, with "rights" to download" a skinny Win7 version. No thanks.

So fa, so good. I've been successful in s/w loading, including the security stuff.

My wife has no need to lug an ext. drive around, she being the user. I bought it for s/w installation and in case the operating system went blooey.

The purchased device doesn't have the spiff batt. pack that runs 6+ hours, but it says it will go for 3+. It's Li-Ion, so I don't push it. It does show 3+ batt life with its' tray chicklet, though.

Well, that's my story. Anxiously awaiting you telling me how effing stupid I was for buying that Eee :blink:

Just had a little laptop discussion a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a Lenovo IdeaPad for $629. Although, when I just clicked on the link in Deano's post, the same laptop is pricing at $999! I guess the cost of ginger in China is driving the prices up.. :blink: Oh well.

It's the first Lenovo I've ever purchased and was very pleased with it. I only had it in my possession for about 2 days before I got it set up and shipped out; but it was a nice machine.

I completely agree. I don't like the larger 15+ inch laptops. Why? The idea is supposed to be to have a portable computer. I have a friend with a 19" laptop... holy crap! It's like lugging a full desktop pc around. But, at the same time I don't like the small 10" displays. For my taste, that's getting too small to see a decent page of text. So, I try to stick to the 13-14" range.

But, I'd give the Lenovo's a good look. Like I said, I was very pleased with it's look and feel. Of course, it'll be another year before I know how they hold up. I would suggest looking around the interwebs for some online coupons. I found one when I bought that machine and it saved me $70. Not bad.

I was hopeful the new iPad would break all the laptop rules... but alas they made a 10" iPod Touch. Oh well. I really like the MacBooks if you can swing that way but otherwise, I'm finding the Macs as just too high priced to justify. As much as I like them, it's just tough to spend that kinda cash.

Just had a little laptop discussion a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a Lenovo IdeaPad for $629. Although, when I just clicked on the link in Deano's post, the same laptop is pricing at $999! I guess the cost of ginger in China is driving the prices up.. :blink: Oh well.

It's the first Lenovo I've ever purchased and was very pleased with it. I only had it in my possession for about 2 days before I got it set up and shipped out; but it was a nice machine.

I completely agree. I don't like the larger 15+ inch laptops. Why? The idea is supposed to be to have a portable computer. I have a friend with a 19" laptop... holy crap! It's like lugging a full desktop pc around. But, at the same time I don't like the small 10" displays. For my taste, that's getting too small to see a decent page of text. So, I try to stick to the 13-14" range.

But, I'd give the Lenovo's a good look. Like I said, I was very pleased with it's look and feel. Of course, it'll be another year before I know how they hold up. I would suggest looking around the interwebs for some online coupons. I found one when I bought that machine and it saved me $70. Not bad.

I was hopeful the new iPad would break all the laptop rules... but alas they made a 10" iPod Touch. Oh well. I really like the MacBooks if you can swing that way but otherwise, I'm finding the Macs as just too high priced to justify. As much as I like them, it's just tough to spend that kinda cash.

I second all of this. I purchased a lenovo over the summer for about $500-600 and it has worked like a dream. I use it primarily for writing, research, dvd watching and complaining about the Bills on the internet--it covers those needs beautifully. I can honestly say that in 10 years of using laptops this is the best I have owned. My finacee bought herself a macbook around the same time for $1000. From playing around with her laptop I can safely claim it is not any more impressive than what I am running, only twice as expensive.

IMHO Apple computers are the way to go. It is a misconception that they cost considerably more, this is why. My Macbook cost me $999 in 2006, which included a $100 student discount. So for the sake of this argument, let’s go with $1099. I upgraded the 60 GB HD and 2 Gb of memory for $150.00, for a total outlay of 1,249.00. It is a 2.0 MHz, core duo laptop with 2Gb mem and 500 Gb HD.

Now, my wife’s Toshiba cost $600, plus $90 for Norton antivirus, with a recurring charge of $80/yr for antivirus subscription for a 3 year total of $300. Grand total, over 4 years would be $900.00. Now, toss in an upgrade to a 500 Gb HD and you are talking $1000.00 (the PC has 3Gb mem). That makes in only $250 less than the Mac.

Just based on the fact that at this time Mac's are not susceptible to adware, spyware and viruses, the $250 difference makes it worthwhile. If you need to run Microsoft software (gaming), you can run Vista/windows 7 using boot camp as they both need Intel processors. You can purchase MS Office for Mac if you need to, or you can get open-office or neo-office that work fine for every day stuff.

Why do I love Mac? It's the ease of use. I have hooked up 3 digital cameras, 1 camcorder, and 3 different printers to the machine without a problem. Never had to search for a driver, it just worked. The Mac boots up in less than 30 seconds when it takes the Toshiba a few minutes...Norton is a resource hog. Mac OS X comes with iLife – Safari, Mail, iTunes, iMovie, all are great programs. My Mac surfs the web faster than any other compute I’ve ever used. Mail is an intuitive email program much nicer than outlook, easier interface. iTunes is the best program I have used for .mp3’s and music, incredibly intuitive/easy when it comes to managing my iPod. Macs are intuitive, easy to learn, and just work.

I just can’t say enough good things about Mac. They are so easy to use. My suggestion to anyone who is considering buying a laptop is to look at a Mac. If you have one in the area, go to an Apple Store (apple.com to locate) and get some hands on. You may be surprised at how intuitive and easy Macs are to learn. You can also get discounts if you are a student and the online store has nice pricing on refurbs. The refurbs are machines that did not pass testing off the manufacturing line. As with all computers, you can find decent deals on eBay.

I don't thing you can go wrong with either Lenovo or Dell. I've had Latitudes for the last 12 years or so and I've never had any problems (my wife once accidentally spilled coffee in it but the Complete Care warranty covered it - no questions asked).

We used to buy Thinkpads at work - absolutely bulletproof with the best software in the business. The big problem was once they were outfitted like the execs liked the price point was about 50% higher than the Dells. We just couldn't justify it any more.