Moorman All-decade

CazParker

While I'm happy for Brian, the fact that our PUNTER is our only All-Decade team member is a perfect microcosm of the last 10+ years for the Bills.

we have TWO players on that list.....you forgot T.O......i guess he's ours til march 5th.

gotta laugh tho, for a long time, whenever a friend asks me who i think is the bills best current player, i always answer Brian Moorman.....it's sad but true.

Well deserved. Not only do teams have to worry about being pinned down inside their 5 yard line after a 70 yard punt, but they also have to worry about the speed and the occassional touchdown pass to denney. Dude can take a hit like a champ too, I don't know any other punter who would have gotten up after a hit like Shawn Taylor put on him.

While I'm happy for Brian, the fact that our PUNTER is our only All-Decade team member is a perfect microcosm of the last 10+ years for the Bills.

I do not know if anyone who gets paid to spend the time it would take to figure this out (or some other charitable or fanatic soul who will volunteer the time to figure this out) I am curious what the distribution is among teams as to how many players they have on this list.

Looking at it off-hand, no surprisingly a team like Indy has multiple players (Manning, Harrison and Freeney for starters with a quick look) and NE has multiple players (Brady, Vinatieri, Seymour leap out) it would not surprise me if numerous teams (did Detroit luck into representation at all) have no representation be in punters or drive-bys like TO.

This does give us one rare thing to say about the FO, kudos to TD for identifying Moorman to pick him up and for having the smart to lock him up with a long term extension.

It is also interesting to me to consider who almost made this list but lost out to some other stud. There is to some degree an arbitrary nature to all all-decade team since if one stacked up your notable performances with half coming from 95-00 and half coming from 00-05 then a olayer might miss out on being a player of the decade in the 00s (and the 90s) as well.

My guess is that Ruben Brown is likely an all-decade guard in the 90s for kudos he received as reflected in multiple Pro Bowl berths (many of them undeserved in the eyes of many Bills fans) but I think he got plaudits in the 00s as well that brought him up short but likely got him considered for this list.

Lindell is also an interesting case, I agree with the picks of Vinatieri hands down at kicker. However, despite some initial problems here in crunch time and also Jauron being a short field goal playcalling type guy, it would not surprise me at all if there is a very good statistical case to be made for Lindell being the #2 choice for kicker of the decade. Particularly when one takes into account the difficult wind conditions he dealth with here (in fact less margin for error than even Moorman) and how he excelled as a part of Bobby April kick-off unit and also did a very nice job on some notable onsides, I think there is a strong case to be made for Lindell as the ALMOST player of the decade at kicker.

Does this get him into HOF? If not, what does it take for a punter to get into the Hall?

In order for a punter to get into hall of fame he needs to be able to part the seas or solve the national debt. Voters are so against them being in they ought to just state they are ineligible.

Actually it is quite difficult and has proven impossible in the past but, one of the cute things about HOF membership is that it is afterall the Hall of FAME and not the Hall of STATS.

The big problem that punters have is that they are not famous as far as teams go. Punting virtually defines the necessary but thankless job in the NFL (unfortunately this is true for all ST guys and one needs to be a special player like Tasker who really revolutionized thinking about the position and did things like force a rule change with his tactics to deal with an effort by him that only he was smart enough and quick enough to do).

Ray Guy was probably the best shot a punter had at making it into the HOF as his monstrous leg and talent forced a rule change. The fact he played for the bad boy Raiders also did not hurt him in terms of generating some FAME.

My guess is that it will take not only such an extraordinary convergence of game changing activity by an ST player or punter, but also overcoming some outside of the lines tragedy which will draw attention and sympathy in terms of getting in. For example, I really doubt Jimbo would have made it in so quickly (or possibly at all given his amazing accomplishment of QBing 4 SB losses) if it was not for the tragedy of Hunter Kelly neutralizing the fact that he was such a juvenile idiot as a player (reports of his various run-ins with women at bars and persistent reports of at least one of his SB losses happening because he partied so hard the night before the big game) or made it in if not for the outstanding off field work he did with Hunter's Hope.

However, great play, a good publicist and a little personal tragedy gives me the sense that even a punter getting in is doable under the right circumstances. It would probably be as a vet though.

Actually it is quite difficult and has proven impossible in the past but, one of the cute things about HOF membership is that it is afterall the Hall of FAME and not the Hall of STATS.

The big problem that punters have is that they are not famous as far as teams go. Punting virtually defines the necessary but thankless job in the NFL (unfortunately this is true for all ST guys and one needs to be a special player like Tasker who really revolutionized thinking about the position and did things like force a rule change with his tactics to deal with an effort by him that only he was smart enough and quick enough to do).

Ray Guy was probably the best shot a punter had at making it into the HOF as his monstrous leg and talent forced a rule change. The fact he played for the bad boy Raiders also did not hurt him in terms of generating some FAME.

My guess is that it will take not only such an extraordinary convergence of game changing activity by an ST player or punter, but also overcoming some outside of the lines tragedy which will draw attention and sympathy in terms of getting in. For example, I really doubt Jimbo would have made it in so quickly (or possibly at all given his amazing accomplishment of QBing 4 SB losses) if it was not for the tragedy of Hunter Kelly neutralizing the fact that he was such a juvenile idiot as a player (reports of his various run-ins with women at bars and persistent reports of at least one of his SB losses happening because he partied so hard the night before the big game) or made it in if not for the outstanding off field work he did with Hunter's Hope.

However, great play, a good publicist and a little personal tragedy gives me the sense that even a punter getting in is doable under the right circumstances. It would probably be as a vet though.

For a punter to get in, I think he'd have to be a freak of nature. Maybe a 50 yard average, or even a 50 yard net average for him to be considered. I always thought Tasker had a shot, especially since they did create a new pro bowl position for him, but I think if he does get in it won't be for a long time.