Do not draft LT in the first round, we don't need one there.

DarthICE

I'm back JohnC, I've seen a lot of both Cody and Dan Williams. Both would be awesome 2nd round picks for us and if I had my choice I would give a slight edge to Cody because this team really blew vs. the run this year and I think right now (when he's on the field) Cody would have a little bigger impact. Both players will need to dedicate themselves to improving their conditioning though and that is something nobody ever knows how much a player is willing to work for. At the same time, both could easily go in the 20's and be gone before we pick. Armchair QB, I know you asked for astros logic on Black but I'll throw in mine anyways..... not by what I've read but what I've seen: This guy will get killed playing tackle in the NFL because he cannot handle the speed of college DE's, not to mention the guys playing on Sundays. As I said before if we needed a guard maybe in the 3rd round but we don't. Finally JPS, I agree the Colts will draft a LT as well because they missed on Ugoh and Johnson is the next best option they had. Having a rare QB like Manning masks this usually glaring hole. The Colts will not put their faith in the 6th round stud long term. Write it down.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DL is available in FA, and the later rounds. There is no stud D lineman available in the first round at #9. Obvisouly, if Shu or McCoy are available at 9, take them. But since they won't be, the best player who may be available at 9, and that fits a position of need is McClain. Your post implies that the Bills were correct in drafting Maybin last year over a LB like Chusing just because Maybin is a DL. It's much better to not reach for a DL at #9,; THAT is what Donahoe/Levy would do. Take Arthur Jones or Wootton in a later round.

Modrak is claiming that he favored Cushing over Maybin. Some Buffalo News reporters are stating that leaks out of the organization are blaming Jauron for the pick. There is no surprise that when a pick goes bad fingers starting pointing outwards. What is even more revealing about this abnormal football organization is that there didn't seem to be a clear line of authority when making picks. Making draft decisions by consensus clearly doesn't work, at least the way the Bills do it.

Now with the installation of Buddy Nix as the GM it appears they have a real football person making football decisions. It sure beats having a marketing guru involved in evaluating talent.

Exactly and if this team takes a friggin linebacker before addressing the DL, it is a horrible move that counters all football common sense.

as usual, this conclusion is flawed without knowing the defense that will be deployed.

Any LB that can create havoc is worth taking if the coaching is smart enough to know how to mazimize that skill set. the bills have missed out on premium talent and playmakers because they have passed over studs to fill holes (that were generally self-inflicted).

as usual, this conclusion is flawed without knowing the defense that will be deployed.

Any LB that can create havoc is worth taking if the coaching is smart enough to know how to mazimize that skill set. the bills have missed out on premium talent and playmakers because they have passed over studs to fill holes (that were generally self-inflicted).

Bull ****. 4-3 or 3-4 you need LINEMEN. We need a QB above all things first on this team. Then DL and a LT. THEN linebackers.

BTW if you are trying to sit there and claim we need a stud at OLB in the 3-4, you better start with the NOSE TACKLE, because without a pure stud there, the whole defense goes to ****.

Bull ****. 4-3 or 3-4 you need LINEMEN. We need a QB above all things first on this team. Then DL and a LT. THEN linebackers.

BTW if you are trying to sit there and claim we need a stud at OLB in the 3-4, you better start with the NOSE TACKLE, because without a pure stud there, the whole defense goes to ****.

C'MON GUYS.....YOU NEED BOTH!!! Whatever scheme your running, your front 7 has to be solid. And right now we have Kyle Williams, Poz and maybe Schobel. The rest is garbage. Whatever round you draft them in or street corner you pick them off, we need players. 7 of them. Just becase they, for example, pick McClain in the 1st and a DT in the 3rd, doesn't mean LB is more or less important. DL holds position, LB fills gaps. How about a Pat Williams (free agent), Damato Peko (3rd round), Brett Keisel (7th round). Enough of this DL/LB debate.

I would love to hear your logic on Ciron Black...(serously, I've heard nothing bad about this kid and I don't know why his stock isn't risisng) :blink:

Because he sucks at playing NFL T and will not be considered a LT by a single team. His best chance is a second round pick to be this years Loadholt. Even still Im not a fan of his.

Wrong! Could not disagree with you more. We need a stud LT more than other teams becasue we don't have a franchise QB. I saw in another post on Rumblings the thought of moving down to #15 to get Buluga and picking up another 1st or 2nd by trading picks. I like that idea of moving down a bit to get our LT. Unless we can get the best 1 or 2 QB's, we have to take a LT with our first pick. Give me a Jake Long, Dbrickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas and we will be set for 10 years at the most important line position.

I don't understand why we "don't need one there." Maybe you missed the last season and all of the sacks. NEWSFLASH We need one there. And the way the game is played we need a good one. As a general rule players chosen with the first pick tend to be somewhat better than players chosen with the second pick, the second one generally better than the third, etc.

Now we can get one of the top three tackles in this draft at nine. No quarterback is looking to be a franchise player in this years draft, and even if one were, we'd still have to fix the o-line. We would improve this team by choosing two tackles with our first three choices and the best defensive end or linebacker available with the the other. I don't see a quarterback in the mix.

Modrak is claiming that he favored Cushing over Maybin. Some Buffalo News reporters are stating that leaks out of the organization are blaming Jauron for the pick. There is no surprise that when a pick goes bad fingers starting pointing outwards. What is even more revealing about this abnormal football organization is that there didn't seem to be a clear line of authority when making picks. Making draft decisions by consensus clearly doesn't work, at least the way the Bills do it.

Now with the installation of Buddy Nix as the GM it appears they have a real football person making football decisions. It sure beats having a marketing guru involved in evaluating talent.

Wow...how did Maybin get picked if nobody wanted him?

Here are the teams in the playoffs and also listed are the rounds the LT's for those teams have been drafted...

Indy 6th round pick

NO 4th Round pick

Jets 1st round

Vikings 1st Round

Eagles Undrafted FA TE

Cowboys 2nd Round

Bengals 2nd Round

New England 2nd Round

Baltimore 5th round supplemental draft

Green Bay 2nd round

Arizona 6th Round.

Chargers 2nd round (*)

(*) Was drafted in 06 meaning he was a Nix pick.

If Nix can do it right, we can find a quality LT later on in the draft. IMHO beyond Okung there isn't a guy worth a first round pick.

Time to pick a QB.

Well, we have options at this pick and I am not opposed to taking a qb, however the one guy besides Okung who is an excellent football player is Iupoti. If he can make the switch from left guard to left tackle, I am all for taking this as our first round pick. I really think he is going to be an all pro for a lot of his career in the NFL.

I don't understand why we "don't need one there." Maybe you missed the last season and all of the sacks. NEWSFLASH We need one there. And the way the game is played we need a good one. As a general rule players chosen with the first pick tend to be somewhat better than players chosen with the second pick, the second one generally better than the third, etc.

Now we can get one of the top three tackles in this draft at nine. No quarterback is looking to be a franchise player in this years draft, and even if one were, we'd still have to fix the o-line. We would improve this team by choosing two tackles with our first three choices and the best defensive end or linebacker available with the the other. I don't see a quarterback in the mix.

What part of most of the teams listed didnt' have a first round pick for a LT did you miss?

You guys B word about horrible Tom donahoe/ Marv Levy moves and you want to make one that they would make! :blink: Christ sakes people, learn about football then post. You NEVER take a LB when you need a QB, then DL, then OL. you address linebackers AFTER you put a line worth a damn in front of them. Where did we rank in Run defense? You think McClain is going to do jack **** with a 300lb guard pushing his ass 20 yards downfield because our weak ass DL couldn't keep the fat ass off of him?

come on folks....

Where do you come up with this? Did you ever think that our run defense was so poor because of the linebackers?

After offensive tackle, LB is our weakest postion.

Take the best on the board, if it is McClain then take him, we need LBs very badly. McClain looks like an impact player. I would not complain if we got him at #9.

You just summed up the problem that we have had for 10 years. Donohoe, Levy, Brandon and Jauron have all had a hand in this.