Do not draft LT in the first round, we don't need one there.

DarthICE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Draft big, nasty, vicious linemen. Start with Bryan Bulaga. Come back and draft Adam Ulatoski in round 5 or 6. Then watch your QB magically improve.

Amen to that Senator :censored:

Gives us more mean, nasty and mangy looking beasts like Incognito...

Several of the playoff teams don't have 1st round QBs, either including:

Arizona (Warner - undrafted)

Minn (Favre - 2nd rnd)

Pats (Brady 6th)

Saints (Brees 2nd - I think this is right).

The same could be said for ANY position. Logically, since teams really only get 1 1st round pick/year (unless there

is a trade involved) and there are 22 starting positions, it would take 22 years of #1 picks to fill every starting

position. Most players don't even play 10 years, so it is clear that teams must get significant contributions from players other than #1 picks.

I agree that some positions are more important than others (QB. LT, DE are probably the most important - but that is debatable and dependent on a team's scheme and other strengths/weaknesses). But, there are a multitude of ways

to build a successful team and there will always be tradeoffs to consider.

I think that the most important thing for the Bills in rounds 1-3 this year is to get players that will make significant

contributions for several years. That does not mean that they MUST start from day 1, but that would help. They need to get 3 good long-term starters out of rounds 1-3.

I think reaching for a position of need is a disaster and a way to ensure that they won't get those 3 good starters. So, if they think there is a legitimate good/very good LT or QB at 9 this year, then by all means take him. But, don't reach for a LT or QB and hope that they'll be the answer. We've been there before.

Misses happen in the draft all the time to every team. But there are approaches to minimize the risk of this. I think picking players like the Bills did in Wood and Levitre works along those lines. Those guys were low-risk solid selections. Maybe they didn't have quite as high a ceiling as some other players (like Maybin), but their floor was also much higher than Maybin's. You knew much more of what you were getting with Wood and Levitre.

Your wise view of having early picks being less risky and more solid makes a lot of sense. That is the philosophy that Buddy Nix follows. In fact, in a fairly direct criticism of the Maybin pick he pointed out that he isn't interested in drafting one year wonders (college performance) as opposed to favoring prospects who have a longer track record on the field.

The Bills will not be serious playoff contenders next year or possibly the year after. They need to build a solid foundation on both lines. As you indicated with their first pick they have to get a player who is not risky. There is no such thing as a no risk selection, but there are ways to minimize making the big flop. As an example, the Raiders under Al Davis have a tendency to get too infatuated with physical combine skills rather than focusing on football performances. Al's first pick last year was outright foolish. Howard Bey was the fastest reciever in the draft. But even in college at Maryland he was a low productive receiver who wasn't adept at catching the ball or running pass routes.

No one questions the fact that the qb position is the most important position in football. But it makes no sense to have that asset be wasted because it is constantly being pummeled by a porous line. Get the OL upgraded and then you can move on from there.

Just to add to astro...... Ciron Black is a stiff, even as a RT. If we had a need a G, I'd take a look, but fortunately we have 3 guys more than capable to play that position. If Okung or Bradford/Clausen isn't available at #9, it's time to bring back the great LB tradition Buffalo used to have and it starts with ROLANDO McCLAIN!!!

Your wise view of having early picks being less risky and more solid makes a lot of sense. That is the philosophy that Buddy Nix follows. In fact, in a fairly direct criticism of the Maybin pick he pointed out that he isn't interested in drafting one year wonders (college performance) as opposed to favoring prospects who have a longer track record on the field.

The Bills will not be serious playoff contenders next year or possibly the year after. They need to build a solid foundation on both lines. As you indicated with their first pick they have to get a player who is not risky. There is no such thing as a no risk selection, but there are ways to minimize making the big flop. As an example, the Raiders under Al Davis have a tendency to get too infatuated with physical combine skills rather than focusing on football performances. Al's first pick last year was outright foolish. Howard Bey was the fastest reciever in the draft. But even in college at Maryland he was a low productive receiver who wasn't adept at catching the ball or running pass routes.

No one questions the fact that the qb position is the most important position in football. But it makes no sense to have that asset be wasted because it is constantly being pummeled by a porous line. Get the OL upgraded and then you can move on from there.

I agree, but to underscore your point that every pick has some risk, take the Raider's selection of OL Robert Gallery a few years ago. He would have been considered a very low risk pick at the time, yet he bombed as an OT in the NFL and hasn't exactly been great even inside at OG. There are many others, but another that comes to mind is KC's selection of Glen Dorsey. He has not played anywhere near the level that most thought he would and there were no particular red-flags on him (at least that I knew about).

Still, I think we are both saying the same thing: spend picks (at least the early ones) on as close to sure-thing good starters as you can. While completely ignoring positions of need would be foolish, too, it is more important to get good long-term starters out of this draft.

As you said (and everyone here knows), the Bills are not going to be a playoff team next year. Build a sound defense and try to fix the OL further and the Bills could be reasonably competitive next year. Good defense and a good running game may be boring, but if they can accomplish that, they'll be in most every game even without a top QB.

Agreed, unless we get the top linebacker in free agency like a karlos dansby, the pick has to be mcclain. We need a identity and a star on defense, not to mention poz has had an injury every year and mitchell is coming off a knee injury. If we stick with the 4-3 we have mcclain at mlb and poz on one side and mitchell on the other along with maybin(depending on where they put him). I'd like to see him more at both de and lb like a terrel suggs type of role. The second round if we don't trade for mcnabb we use to for the best left tackle available. I think in free agency we go after a left tackle as well as a big dt. Might as well have a free agent left tackle and a 2nd rd pick compete for the job . I think the 3rd round pick should be either jermaine gresham tight end from oklahoma or a breakaway speed type of running back. If we don't trade for a veteran qb I say we take a qb. Its all gonna depend on our free agency approach.

You guys B word about horrible Tom donahoe/ Marv Levy moves and you want to make one that they would make! :censored: Christ sakes people, learn about football then post. You NEVER take a LB when you need a QB, then DL, then OL. you address linebackers AFTER you put a line worth a damn in front of them. Where did we rank in Run defense? You think McClain is going to do jack **** with a 300lb guard pushing his ass 20 yards downfield because our weak ass DL couldn't keep the fat ass off of him?

come on folks....

My point being, Nix has found a stud in SD in the 2nd round, Polian in the 6th etc. We now have a top 5 talent evaluator, this isn't friggin TD or Levy making the picks. If anyone can find us a quality LT in later rounds it is Nix. On that note, if he decides to pass up QB in the first then, although I don't like it, I will accept his opinion that there wasn't one worth picking. Why? Because he has proven himself as a top evaluator.

I do agree QB should come first but both Bradford (I'm just not buying the panic button response on all the injury prone talk or him being too skinny, there is a thing known as the strength and conditioning program) or Clausen will both be gone and who knows how much it would take to get one of em' (probably more than 99% of this board would be willing to do) so I just don't see anything more than a stopgap at best situation at QB for the Bills next season. I hate it, but it looks that way. I live in Tennessee currently and while I like Dan Williams NO WAY at #9 and Suh and McCoy are both long gone as well....We need to have a solid free agency so we don't reach for any certain positions........

You guys B word about horrible Tom donahoe/ Marv Levy moves and you want to make one that they would make! :blink: Christ sakes people, learn about football then post. You NEVER take a LB when you need a QB, then DL, then OL. you address linebackers AFTER you put a line worth a damn in front of them. Where did we rank in Run defense? You think McClain is going to do jack **** with a 300lb guard pushing his ass 20 yards downfield because our weak ass DL couldn't keep the fat ass off of him?

come on folks....

Just think the Marv Levy braintrust took safety Donte Whitner over all-pro DT Ngata in their first draft. Stupidity piled on top of stupidity. It seems every year this comical organization has to go back and correct drafting mistakes made in prior years. :wallbash:

My point being, Nix has found a stud in SD in the 2nd round, Polian in the 6th etc. We now have a top 5 talent evaluator, this isn't friggin TD or Levy making the picks. If anyone can find us a quality LT in later rounds it is Nix. On that note, if he decides to pass up QB in the first then, although I don't like it, I will accept his opinion that there wasn't one worth picking. Why? Because he has proven himself as a top evaluator.

The problem with your scenario of getting a LT in a lower round is that there is a premium placed on LTs in the draft. It is not unusual to have a run of tackles taken off of the board in the first round. I would love to be able to move down in the first round and still get a quality OT such as Bulaga. But it is difficult consummating a deal to move down because there are so many other teams also desiring to move down.

I, along with you, am more confident with Buddy Nix being the primary person making the draft selections. I just hope that our clown owner doesn't get the itch and order the drafting of a particular player as he did with Lynch.

I do agree QB should come first but both Bradford (I'm just not buying the panic button response on all the injury prone talk or him being too skinny, there is a thing known as the strength and conditioning program) or Clausen will both be gone and who knows how much it would take to get one of em' (probably more than 99% of this board would be willing to do) so I just don't see anything more than a stopgap at best situation at QB for the Bills next season. I hate it, but it looks that way. I live in Tennessee currently and while I like Dan Williams NO WAY at #9 and Suh and McCoy are both long gone as well....We need to have a solid free agency so we don't reach for any certain positions........

As you noted Dan Williams is not a #9 talent. But he certainly would be good value for us in the second round if he is still on the board. Since you have seen Dan Williams play how would you rank him compared to Alabama's Cody? The gargantuan Crimson Tide DT is a big time plugger but his insational eating habits scare me. I am very reluctant to take a player in a draft who has bigger breasts than Dolly Pardon.

Just think the Marv Levy braintrust took safety Donte Whitner over all-pro DT Ngata in their first draft. Stupidity piled on top of stupidity. It seems every year this comical organization has to go back and correct drafting mistakes made in prior years. :blink:

Exactly and if this team takes a friggin linebacker before addressing the DL, it is a horrible move that counters all football common sense.

One more thing about Polian's genius 6th rounder. The Colts left tackle is actually a guard that is covering for a rare Polian draft miss, LT Tony Ugoh. When the Colts draft another OT this year, it'll tell you what they think of their 6th round "Stud".

I like what Mayock said, there is Okung then everyone else is a distant second. Let nix find us one in later rounds like he did in SD

On the same note, there is Clausen and Bradford then everyone else (both of which have much higher bust rates than an LT because of the nature of the position). So when both are gone, who do you want at 9; Pike/Tebow/McCoy/Lefevour?

Id take the 2nd best tackle over the 3rd best QB.

You guys B word about horrible Tom donahoe/ Marv Levy moves and you want to make one that they would make! :blink: Christ sakes people, learn about football then post. You NEVER take a LB when you need a QB, then DL, then OL. you address linebackers AFTER you put a line worth a damn in front of them. Where did we rank in Run defense? You think McClain is going to do jack **** with a 300lb guard pushing his ass 20 yards downfield because our weak ass DL couldn't keep the fat ass off of him?

come on folks....

DL is available in FA, and the later rounds. There is no stud D lineman available in the first round at #9. Obvisouly, if Shu or McCoy are available at 9, take them. But since they won't be, the best player who may be available at 9, and that fits a position of need is McClain. Your post implies that the Bills were correct in drafting Maybin last year over a LB like Chusing just because Maybin is a DL. It's much better to not reach for a DL at #9,; THAT is what Donahoe/Levy would do. Take Arthur Jones or Wootton in a later round.

We have only 4 tackles available by the Bills' second pick, and all of them reaches:

---Vladimir Ducasse (going to Dallas at #59 in our next draft, and more likely a Guard)

---Mike Johnson from Alabama (going to Chargers at #60)

---Mike Fox from Miami (going early in RD#3 to KC)

Ciron Black would be a major reach, more likely a Guard, and likely there in RD#3.

I would love to hear your logic on Ciron Black...(serously, I've heard nothing bad about this kid and I don't know why his stock isn't risisng) :blink: