Is WR also a need in the draft???

Pretty much. We don't need to acquire a starting RB, OG, CB, or S. That covers 7 of 22 starters.

Even at RB and OG, I can see us drafting there. What if we draft a great guard like Iupati and move Levitre out to T? He did well there last year. And at RB - big fan of Freddie - but that's really all we have there. Probably need to draft / pickup a RB too.

So again, to me, the only places completely not worthy of a pick are CB and S

We have a very talented Lee Evans and one of the all time great WRs WENT TO WASTE this year because of bad O-Line and QB play. Why waste even a 5th rounder on Jordan Shipley (who will be a 2nd rounder) when we can't get him the ball.

FIX THE LINES!!! I'd like to see 2 OTs, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 LBs and maybe a QB.

By the looks of things, all signs are pointing to Owens not being here next year, making Lee Evans the number one again, although he was the number one last year (technically). Josh Reed is a free-agent, and I'm officially declaring Hardy a bust. Steve Johnson showed some upside two years ago, and never really got a shot this year with T.O. here, so do the Bills go after another WR either in the draft, or preferably(IMO) free-agency?

TO filled the hole this year and yes there will be another hole when he leaves. The Bills have more holes than one draft can fill. They are handicapped in getting an established receiver because of the lack of a QB. They are handicapped in getting an established QB because of the lack of a LT. If they trade for McNabb I expect him to veto the trade which his status as a vet gives him the right to do. The Bills most effective strategy would be to plan a 2-3 year rebuild through the draft strategy. When they improve they will be more attractive to free agents and players will be more receptive to trades. Our role as fans is to suck it up and realize that they are undermanned and only time and great drafts by Buddy Nix will cure that. We have proven in the past that recruiting mercenary free agents is a formula for disaster.

Evans, Johnson, Hardy, Nelson are a group that isn't totally proven but you could do a lot worst in this league than that group. Next to defensive back and probably running back, receiver is the last thing we need to worry about.

Isn't totally proven? :thumbsup: James Hardy and Steve Johnson have 22 catches combined over two seasons. Shawn Nelson had a decent rookie season as a tightend but counting on him as WR next year is foolish. Lee Evans is not a number 1 in this league.

The Bills are woefully thin at the position and if Reed is gone, they will aquire someone else.

Isn't totally proven? :thumbsup: James Hardy and Steve Johnson have 22 catches combined over two seasons. Shawn Nelson had a decent rookie season as a tightend but counting on him as WR next year is foolish. Lee Evans is not a number 1 in this league.

The Bills are woefully thin at the position and if Reed is gone, they will aquire someone else.

Manning won't shine with that group? Obviously there's not a Manning out there but these receivers could play in in this league. Get a real Qb and the receivers will improve. And I put Nelson in the group because tight ends are considered part of the group of receivers. :devil:

With Owens, Reed and Parrish possibly all on their way out, WR certainly is a need, both in terms of a starter and for depth. My guess is that they'll be in the market for a decent veteran, possibly re-signing Josh Reed, plus will add a rookie in the middle rounds to provide some quality longer term competition for James Hardy and Steve Johnson

I'm one of the few Josh Reed fans on the board but I think a better idea would be replacing him. One UFA that I saw that is interesting is Bobby Wade, who played in KC last year. So there's an immediate connection to Gailey so perhaps he can pass on some of his knowledge of it to are other players. He's a decent 3rd WR having averaged 2.4 catches per game compared to Reed's 2.7. He's also averaged 28.8 yards per game compared to Reed's 31.1. In terms of yards per catch Wade's at 11.7 vs Reed's 11.5. In terms of YAC both are at 3.9. Both are 5-10 but Wade's a little smaller at 196 lbs vs Reed's 210. Wade's a year younger then Reed. I know people are asking me why would you replace Reed with "another Reed", easily Wade is also a punt returner and he averaged a better than Parrish. Wade at 7.6 and Parrish was at 5.5. Of course Parrish does top him for career numbers but to be honest if we could find a guy that could replace both Reed and Parrish I'm all for it because it could allow us to keep another young WR or possible another position.

Manning won't shine with that group? Obviously there's not a Manning out there but these receivers could play in in this league. Get a real Qb and the receivers will improve. And I put Nelson in the group because tight ends are considered part of the group of receivers. :thumbsup:

Manning or one of our bums aside, that group of WRs is putrid. It might not be the top need but it certainly is a need. The good news is, we have many picks and there are many FAs. Do you think we are going to aquire 7 OTs, 6 LBS, and 4 DTs?

By the looks of things, all signs are pointing to Owens not being here next year, making Lee Evans the number one again, although he was the number one last year (technically). Josh Reed is a free-agent, and I'm officially declaring Hardy a bust. Steve Johnson showed some upside two years ago, and never really got a shot this year with T.O. here, so do the Bills go after another WR either in the draft, or preferably(IMO) free-agency?

maybe round 6 if we see a steal...otherwise QB,LINES and LB

Pretty much. We don't need to acquire a starting RB, OG, CB, or S. That covers 7 of 22 starters.

I think you can go deeper than that.

They may not be superstars, but we aren't going to be looking for replacements for:

Poz (whether he's inside or out)

Evans (we could use a better #1, but if there are 3 starters, we could use 2)

Hangartner (yes we could upgrade, but he's nowhere near the priority)

DT (assuming we stay in 4-3, at least 1 DT starter is safe. We need another for rotation)

Nelson (Jury is of course still out, but you certainly aren't going to draft another one after some good looks his rookie season)

Maybin (you don't give up on a 1st round draft pick after 1 season, no matter how bad it was)

I'd also say that considering the holes elsewhere, they wouldn't be looking to upgrade Mitchell's spot. I know a lot of people hate him, but he's a vet on a team full of youngsters. Again, just doesn't stack up to the other needs.

That brings it up to 14 positions.

So if you break it down:

1 DE

1 DT

1 LB

2 OT

2 WR

1 QB

And that's assuming Schobel retires. If he doesn't, we still need an upgrade, but I think he falls into the same category as Mitchell. I would also say that with whatever potential Hardy and Johnson have, the WR position is only realistically looking at 1 new player.

(sorry, this was more for me than anything else. Just thinking it out as I type.)

There are a lot of positions that need upgrades on this team and it's going to take years of good drafting and smart FA acquisitions to figure it all out. But for this season, I think the glaring holes are too big to ignore for positions with serviceable players in them.

I think you can go deeper than that.

They may not be superstars, but we aren't going to be looking for replacements for:

Poz (whether he's inside or out)

Evans (we could use a better #1, but if there are 3 starters, we could use 2)

Hangartner (yes we could upgrade, but he's nowhere near the priority)

DT (assuming we stay in 4-3, at least 1 DT starter is safe. We need another for rotation)

Nelson (Jury is of course still out, but you certainly aren't going to draft another one after some good looks his rookie season)

Maybin (you don't give up on a 1st round draft pick after 1 season, no matter how bad it was)

I'd also say that considering the holes elsewhere, they wouldn't be looking to upgrade Mitchell's spot. I know a lot of people hate him, but he's a vet on a team full of youngsters. Again, just doesn't stack up to the other needs.

That brings it up to 14 positions.

So if you break it down:

1 DE

1 DT

1 LB

2 OT

2 WR

1 QB

And that's assuming Schobel retires. If he doesn't, we still need an upgrade, but I think he falls into the same category as Mitchell. I would also say that with whatever potential Hardy and Johnson have, the WR position is only realistically looking at 1 new player.

(sorry, this was more for me than anything else. Just thinking it out as I type.)

There are a lot of positions that need upgrades on this team and it's going to take years of good drafting and smart FA acquisitions to figure it all out. But for this season, I think the glaring holes are too big to ignore for positions with serviceable players in them.

Nice post. Your thinking out loud gives a nice perspective to this offseason.