organizational failure

CatInJax

hey, we can argue all kinds of things about the last 10 years and whose fault is was. Bottom line results are proof points that the organization is weak. An organization has to be stronger than the select people. You need a plan including attracting and retaining good people. For example if we are hiring an old Gm why not get a young up and comer to work for Buddy and groom him? Why not get depth on your roster? Why not make a big move for a QB at some point? How about getting a strong leader on each side of the ball? A succession plan for the owner? A long range plan for a competitive stadium with some sponsorship money? We might make some good tactical moves here and there in the draft but it wont be enough to build and sustain a winning team. This is a failing business being targeted for acquisition.

The past month has been a continuation of what RW falls back on when things aren't going well. He insists on surrounding himself with people he knows, ergo Buddy Nix and the promotion of Smithers to CEO. And of course, those people can't be strong personalities who will challenge the owner.

Not interviewing an outside candidate for GM was a systemic failure, even though some believe that a man with the organization for 11 months isn't an inside hire. And that numerous other (and some highly successful) franchises missed the boat on their GM hire.

The NFL is a league in which the slow are left behind to suffer and draft high. And when the owner micromanages the organization, you get what Buffalo has become: a team with 10 straight non-playoff seasons in the salary cap era.

The past month has been a continuation of what RW falls back on when things aren't going well. He insists on surrounding himself with people he knows, ergo Buddy Nix and the promotion of Smithers to CEO. And of course, those people can't be strong personalities who will challenge the owner.

Not interviewing an outside candidate for GM was a systemic failure, even though some believe that a man with the organization for 11 months isn't an inside hire. And that numerous other (and some highly successful) franchises missed the boat on their GM hire.

The NFL is a league in which the slow are left behind to suffer and draft high. And when the owner micromanages the organization, you get what Buffalo has become: a team with 10 straight non-playoff seasons in the salary cap era.

Never mind the fact that the most successful GM in our history was hired in the exact same fashion--with the exact same fans like you bitching about it.

When Bill Polian was promoted to general manager of the Buffalo Bills on Dec. 30, 1985, the Bills were suffering from back to back 2-14 seasons and fan interest was at an all-time low. Polian had been with the Bills since August 2, 1984. He was originally hired as director of pro personnel, where he impressed Bills owner Ralph Wilson by telling then-coach Kay Stephenson, "We were 2-14 on merit--we have the worst personnel in the NFL." On February 7, 1985, Bills general manager Terry Bledsoe suffered a heart attack and Polian was named along with director of scouting Norm Pollom to handle contract negotiations in Bledsoe's absence. Polian was instrumental in the signing of Bruce Smith to his first NFL contract. This impressed the Bills' hierarchy enough to warrant a promotion to GM, after the firing of Bledsoe, in 1985. The fans were not impressed with the promotion of Polian however. Most observers considered the move business as usual, on a 2-14 team.

Right on. Ralph continues to embarrass himself and all Bills fans. When you assess all of his key decisons the last 10-15 years it's very scary to think that HE is the owner and head man of the franchise. I've finally convinced myself that we will not and can not contend for championships until this team is under new ownership. Ralph may technically "care" about winning, but he is a weak leader who doesn't know how to win in the NFL.

Right on. Ralph continues to embarrass himself and all Bills fans. When you assess all of his key decisons the last 10-15 years it's very scary to think that HE is the owner and head man of the franchise. I've finally convinced myself that we will not and can not contend for championships until this team is under new ownership. Ralph may technically "care" about winning, but he is a weak leader who doesn't know how to win in the NFL.

Tell that to the homers who sit there and compare a 70 year old first time GM to Bill Polian as a mid forties GM in 1985-86. RW got lucky that someone from within his organization (who was 25 years YOUNGER then than Nix is now) happened to be the best front office man of the past quarter century. That happens real frequently.

Luck only goes so far. If Buddy Nix is adept at being a GM, then why in sam hill wasn't he hired for the 15 or so GM positions since the turn of the decade?

Guess that's what I get for pointing out facts to the homers.

Tell that to the homers who sit there and compare a 70 year old first time GM to Bill Polian as a mid forties GM in 1985-86. RW got lucky that someone from within his organization (who was 25 years YOUNGER then than Nix is now) happened to be the best front office man of the past quarter century. That happens real frequently.

Luck only goes so far. If Buddy Nix is adept at being a GM, then why in sam hill wasn't he hired for the 15 or so GM positions since the turn of the decade?

Guess that's what I get for pointing out facts to the homers.

You don't think before you type do you? Or maybe you do.

The only facts you pointed out are age related. The rest is speculation. Bad speculation at that.

If your opinion is that a 70 year old cannot do the job of a 45 year old--you are either gravely misinformed or ignorant.

I know many men in their 70's who are still working, and making more money than they ever have in their lives. Men who know what they are doing and never have knee jerk reactions.

Personally after being in my current career for over 20 years-- I can tell you that I am much more than I was. I have made mistakes, like everyone has. The difference is now I have much more of a focused approach -- it is because I know what works and does not work. When I was younger I killed every task with hours -- now I kill them with a precise and streamlined approach. Experience.

Read Buddy's interview from Mobile--he does not sound like he is over his head to me.

Save your 'Homer' remarks for people who actually give a **** about your opinion.

For example if we are hiring an old Gm why not get a young up and comer to work for Buddy and groom him?

That is a good point. At the very least Buddy can scout, and we'll see how he does in this offseason without Dick Jauron ruining the draft. As far as the direction of the team, I can't tell if Ralph's problem is financial constraints, afraid of giving power to anyone, or if he thinks the current Bills plan is the best way to go.

You don't think before you type do you? Or maybe you do.

The only facts you pointed out are age related. The rest is speculation. Bad speculation at that.

If your opinion is that a 70 year old cannot do the job of a 45 year old--you are either gravely misinformed or ignorant.

I think his point was that by the time someone is 70 you "know who they are and what they can do". And if this 70 year-old was so great, how come no one else sees that but RW? When Polian was 45 no one yet knew what he would be or could do.

For me, all you need to know about Nix was on display at the Gailey press conference. He actually made Smithers (Brandon) look good that day... very hard to do.

Isn't it kind of obvious why Nix has been passed over several times for the "public face" position of an NFL franchise? Hint: most teams are highly anal about their public image.

That doesn't mean that Nix can't learn that part of his job.

Good point. But I ask you... why in the HECK would Buffalo want such a man? The Bills have the worst image in the NFL already, making it almost impossible to get good players (that have a choice) to come here. So we are going to ADD to that and hope he can "learn to change"?

Good point. But I ask you... why in the HECK would Buffalo want such a man? The Bills have the worst image in the NFL already, making it almost impossible to get good players (that have a choice) to come here. So we are going to ADD to that and hope he can "learn to change"?

He was a better choice than John Guy?

The Bills were in pretty bad shape as far as having someone that could properly assess and stockpile football talent and build a team that could compete on the field. Even the hucksters in the marketing area had to face the music that it is easier to sell a winner. It seems Buddy is viewed pretty much exactly as Ralph introduced him: the guy to lead the football side of the business. (The unspoken part is whether he will be handcuffed by the non-football side of the business into compromises galore or whether he can implement some of the strategic differences he touched upon.)

hey, we can argue all kinds of things about the last 10 years and whose fault is was. Bottom line results are proof points that the organization is weak. An organization has to be stronger than the select people. You need a plan including attracting and retaining good people. For example if we are hiring an old Gm why not get a young up and comer to work for Buddy and groom him? Why not get depth on your roster? Why not make a big move for a QB at some point? How about getting a strong leader on each side of the ball? A succession plan for the owner? A long range plan for a competitive stadium with some sponsorship money? We might make some good tactical moves here and there in the draft but it wont be enough to build and sustain a winning team. This is a failing business being targeted for acquisition.

From 1986 to 2000, the Buffalo Bills were a good organization, being led by Bill Polian and then John Butler. From 2001 - 2005, Ralph thought he had another good man running things in Tom Donahoe. Polian, Butler and Donahoe made up Ralph Wilsons' "plan" of running his organization for 20 years, and unfortunately the five years that included Donahoe sucked.

So it has only been these past five years, from 2006 to present, that the Bills have fallen off the "plan-wagon" so to speak. Ralph got cold feet after Donahoe and made a big mistake by not replacing him with another experienced GM. Ralph brought in Marv Levy and Russ Brandon and yes, your are right, those two did not create and follow a good plan.

But Ralph has now once again, brought in an experienced football guy as his GM in Buddy Nix. He has "promoted" Brandon out of the football operations, and has allowed Nix to hire his own coach, (at least after Shanahan and Cowher turned Ralph and Brandon down, anyway.) So it seems that Wilson is at least trying to go back to his plan that he followed for 20 years - allowing a GM to run things for him, after he stumbled around for 5 years with his Levy / Brandon experiment.

As for "a succession plan for the owner." - isn't that up to the owner, exclusively? We can B word about it, but no one has any control over how the owner of the team wants to leave things after he dies. And other communities or billionaires can "target" the Bills all they want. Wilson will not sell his team to them while he's alive.

While I totally agree with everything you said, just a little advice, when you speak honestly about the state of the Bills organization, alot of people who live in a fantasy world on this board don't like it. You will get several people saying you are too negaitive, not a fan, whining, etc.

Dude, settle down.

The dust has not even settled from Nix being promoted to GM.

John Guy is finally gone.

Gailey is still finalizing his staff.

Buffalo is rumored in 3 different QB scenarios (McNabb, Vick (please, NO!), and Smith), has the 9th overall selection in April, and has some dead weight currently on the roster that could be moved to free up some cash.

I have a better feeling about all of this than anything this past decade. Sure, I'm excited to see if they keep Modrak around, who they find to replace Guy, and if Overdorf and his miserly ways will be reigned in by Brandon as CEO. Sure, Edwards fell apart. Brohm does seem like someone to groom, and I don't want to give up on Edwards just yet. Especially with Gailey's reputed ability to squeeze the most out of his QB's.

Rome was not built in a day. These things take time.

With Nix as GM and Guy gone, I'm feeling a breath of fresh air at OBD.

Sure, 10 years of mediocrity may breed negativity. I don't blame you. But to write it all off before we've even drafted, found a defensive coordinator and strength coach, obtained a QB, etc is just plain premature on your part.

Now, I'm not advocating once again drinking from the kool-aid trough, but let's sit back and see what develops. :lol:

He was a better choice than John Guy?

The Bills were in pretty bad shape as far as having someone that could properly assess and stockpile football talent and build a team that could compete on the field. Even the hucksters in the marketing area had to face the music that it is easier to sell a winner. It seems Buddy is viewed pretty much exactly as Ralph introduced him: the guy to lead the football side of the business. (The unspoken part is whether he will be handcuffed by the non-football side of the business into compromises galore or whether he can implement some of the strategic differences he touched upon.)

Fair enough. I do agree that he may have been "the best of what was available to them for their needs". The sad thing is that image has had a lot to do with limiting those options in the first place, and I don't think Nix is going to help in that regard.

Fair enough. I do agree that he may have been "the best of what was available to them for their needs". The sad thing is that image has had a lot to do with limiting those options in the first place, and I don't think Nix is going to help in that regard.

I agree completely. In fact, I've posted several times that the Bills are in an image crisis. Their image is so poor that it deeply hampers their abilities to correct things (including probably who they could attract to the GM job). Image is a powerful reason that Mike Shanahan types would think that the Redskins "want to win more" than the Bills, for example. In truth, the Redskins have been at least as dysfunctional as the Bills and arguably more so.