Sticking with the 4-3?

The retention of Bob Sanders on the staff seems to indicate that Gailey is planning on sticking with the 4-3. Sanders coached a 4-3 while he was with the Packers, and while here. He doesn't seem to fit the bill if Gailey is planning on switching to a 3-4, unless he reassigns Sanders to coach a different position (which seems unlikely)...

The retention of Bob Sanders on the staff seems to indicate that Gailey is planning on sticking with the 4-3. Sanders coached a 4-3 while he was with the Packers, and while here. He doesn't seem to fit the bill if Gailey is planning on switching to a 3-4, unless he reassigns Sanders to coach a different position (which seems unlikely)...

You got it.

Look to the Pats and copy them. Go hybrid, and game-plan for each team you face. You have, will draft, and will sign players; you've got to build your system around them.

I agree completely, but I'm not sure Gailey is smart enough to go hybrid. Remember, he said that most of the time what wins you football games is blocking and tackling. Everybody has the "bumble-ruski," after all...

I don't think Gailey is the sort of cutting-edge innovator that will design creative and versatile schemes, like Belichick always seems to do in New England. I predict the same old boring Tampa 2, because it's the easy choice.

Look to the Pats and copy them. Go hybrid, and game-plan for each team you face. You have, will draft, and will sign players; you've got to build your system around them.

Good post. I like this insight. Have we come to completely different defenses for every down & distance conceivable?

Maybe the Creep front will become the new 'normal' set..

I think a hybrid is as good as we can do next season without totally blowing up the defense. Get some guys that can play NT and maybe some OLB/DE types in the mix.

our DE situation is looking really bad if Schobel retires - it'll be Maybin, Kelsay and Ellis.

Hire Fangio and Sanders so you have a leader for each aspect of the hybrid--Fangio coaches ILB and is co-coordinator and Sanders coaches DL and is co-coordinator. Fangio takes lead on 3-4 and Sanders on 4-3.....hmmmmmm...two pretty good minds working right there....we already have some hybrids in Maybin, Schobel, Kelsay (DE/OLB) and in the secondary/LB in Scott, Corto

4-3 is the best defense for pressuring the quarterback, and in this division it's probably a good strategy.