if we moving to 3-4...

If the Bills move to a 3-4 defense who will be the nose tackle? Williams and Stroud don't fit the bill, and we can't (won't bid) afford Wilfork. This is going to turn our draft upside down.

Why can't Williams be a NT? Explain..

He could be in the rotation... however, absolutely, no way would he hold up as a starter for a full season. He missed 5 games this year because he couldn't hold up. See Jeff Wright vs. real Bills nose tackles like Fred Smerlas, Ted Washington & Pat Williams (early years).

You'd like your nose tackle to be in the 325 lb. plus range to really cause problems. Casey Hampton, Kris Jenkins, Wilfork. Jay Ratliff of the Cowboys plays at a little above 300, is an exception. He is surrounded by 6 other guys that are all above average NFL players at their positions... the Bills definitely aren't in that situation.

I think Kyle Williams could be a two gapper, but I don't see him being a GOOD two gapper... He's strong and physical, but he's not very large, and has relatively short arms for an NFL DT... Ideally, you'd like a monster that is quick, strong, and has long arms. I just don't think that this player is on our roster.. Stroud sounds like it, but he's a pennetrating guy.. not a two gap guy... I'd like to see Spencer Johnson, and Stroud or Kelsay as the ends... Find a NT and move Poz outside with Maybin.. draft AND bring in an ILB... I love McClain, If they chose a 3-4 I don't know how he gets passed up unless one of those stud DTs is in play...

is stroud not big enough to be a nose tackle?

Stroud goes 6'6" 310. Too tall to be a NT and too light. You really don't want a NT to be taller than 6'4" (preferably in the 6'1 - 6'3 range and 325 and up. They need to be able to get under people and take the center out on every play. Most NFL centers are in the 295-305 lb. range. A 325-350 lb. NT constantly hammering on them for 60 plays is going to take it's toll.

The theory of the 3-4 is to have the 3 bigs up front occupy the OL so that on running plays they won't get to the second level and let the LBs make the plays. And if they do, the LBs in the 3-4 are usually 245 and up, are able to take on an OL much like a 4-3 DE does.

If the Bills move to a 3-4 defense who will be the nose tackle? Williams and Stroud don't fit the bill, and we can't (won't bid) afford Wilfork. This is going to turn our draft upside down.

Bottom line we have ONE 3-4 lineman right now and that is Stroud to play LDE. We need a RDE and a NT (plus big enough backups). You don't play skinny ass 225-260lb guys on the line of a 3-4

if we are going to a real 3-4 most of the guys on the team don't fit. just about all of them are undersized

exactly..for years this defense was built for speed/quickness...pretty much every single player at LB or DL is undersized for a 3-4. it would be a freaking disaster.

I am not an expert but there are different types of 3-4 defenses, some where the D-linemen mainly just hold up O-linemen and others that kind make it more like a 4-3 where the DE still might shoot gaps. Probably the latter is more suited to our personnel, especially Kyle Williams who is great at getting penetration for such a stout player.

well let's take a look at our players under contract and where they could play in a 3-4

NT

- Kyle Williams - could play it in a pinch but it would be a waste of his skills and he wouldn't be very good at it

- Lonnie Harvey -(huge 6'3, 340) but who is he?)

- Rashad Duncan - ( 6'2, 315 but who is he?)

DE 3-technique - ideally between 285 and 305 lbs, height not that important, but need good athlete

- Kyle Williams

- Spencer Johnson

- John McCargo

DE 5- technique - good size is about 6'5, 305 - taking on tackles and tight ends, need to be taller

- Marcus Stroud

- Marcus Smith

OLB - good size is 6'1 to 6'4 and around 260 lbs

- Aaron Maybin (needs to get heavier)

- Chris Ellis (actually has prototypical size for the position).

- Aaron Schobel (never done it, might retire, I'm not worried about his low weight, he knows how to play football)

- Chris Kelsay (right size, wrong kind of athlete)

- Jermaine McGhee (right size, but who is he?)

ILB - ideally over 6 foot and around 250 lbs

- Poz

- Mitchell

- Palmer (a bit undersized)

so lot of candidates for positions especially OLB, but who knows how they'll be in a 3-4.

NT is the biggest question mark to me. I think there are only two in the draft that could step in right away - Dan Williams and Mount Cody but the defensive line class as a whole is supposed to be excellent.

There are a lot of very good 3-4 OLB candidates in the draft this year as well.