Dan Lefevour

Quote from the Sporting News Feb 2, 2004 re Tom Brady

"...WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal quickness. Forces the ball into coverage at times and tries to make too much happen. Doesn't have ideal arm strength; some of his downfield passes sail. Doesn't get great velocity on his vertical passes...."

Would you take Brady for a Buffalo QB?

That is from the year 2004 when Brady was more of a short passer type of QB. Brady's perception of a lack of arm strength back in those days was due to the fact that the Pats* never asked him to throw deep that much. It wasn't until Moss got there that Brady showed his vertical passing ability.

So either Brady had the arm strength all along but didn't have the receivers and offensive system to showcase it or Brady took steroids or HGH to increase his arm strength. Either way both are totally possible.

And seeing as how accuracy being hugely important was the central theme of my post I would say yeah. I didn't say that any QB here would need to have a cannon NFL arm just that the weather and wind would require him to have a better then average arm to have optimal success.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is from the year 2004 when Brady was more of a short passer type of QB. Brady's perception of a lack of arm strength back in those days was due to the fact that the Pats* never asked him to throw deep that much. It wasn't until Moss got there that Brady showed his vertical passing ability.

So either Brady had the arm strength all along but didn't have the receivers and offensive system to showcase it or Brady took steroids or HGH to increase his arm strength. Either way both are totally possible.

And seeing as how accuracy being hugely important was the central theme of my post I would say yeah. I didn't say that any QB here would need to have a cannon NFL arm just that the weather and wind would require him to have a better then average arm to have optimal success.

I agree that Brady has a better arm now than this evaluation would indicate. I think most players get stronger as they mature into their NFL Prime. I think Arm strength is a factor but it's just one of many factors that need to be used in evaluating a QB. My opinion is that LeFevour has adequate arm strength to play here and it will be better two years from now than it is now.

If you watched the Senior Bowl Lefevour was the best QB on the field and it wasn't even close.

Yep, he'll never make it to the 3rd round. He might not even make it to pick 9 of the 2nd.

I'm glad he didn't play in the 2nd quarter. I was watching on a stream & it bombed at the end of the 1st quarter. I finally found another working stream with 9+ minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. Since Lefevour didn't play until the 2nd half I was able to catch all of his plays.

I love this time of the year, no player is good they all have too great of weaknesses to be successful, I always wonder why they were so good in college

Because you play such great competition every week in college, unlike the average players in NFL. And thier defenses are so complex unlike the simple coverages the NFL has.

Also, the majority of the yardage came from DOWNFIELD THROWS, so what was that BS you were talking before, thats ok, you dont have to say anything (egg on face)

from all accounts, Lefevour possesses a weak arm. Nix said he needs a strong armed QB. therefore Nix does not need Lefevour.

from all accounts, Lefevour possesses a weak arm. Nix said he needs a strong armed QB. therefore Nix does not need Lefevour.

All you people keep confusing weak with average, a good arm is NFL quality, a great arm is Elwayesque, Lefevour has a good arm, he didn't throw downfield a lot in college because they run the spread, but he CAN make all the throws. BTW how did JP losman and his "cannon" work out for us. Nix needs a Leader which is exactly what Lefevour is, and will continue to be. Lefevour drove the ball well today, had good release on passes and threw it DOWNFIELD, effectively. There is no arm problem with Lefevour, and as I have noted before, arm strength can be improved thru practice and the right workout regimen. He's my pick for Bills QB, easily the best QB at the Senior Bowl

LeFevour was clearly the best QB on the field at the senior bowl, playing mostly with receivers and rbs he hasn't played with before. IMO that is why the Senior Bowl game is a good environment to evaluate players. They are playing in unfamiliar confines with people they haven't played with before, but everyone is playing for something: the chance to increase their draft position and thus their money. There is big motivation to show up and play at the Senior Bowl. Tebow looked lost, but LeFevour looked poised, aware, and made all the throws they asked him to make. His throws did not "duck," or wobble, a sign of a weak armed toss over distance. And he sure can run. I'm not saying LeFevour is the best QB in the draft, or that he will necessarily be better than anyone else. I'm merely saying the guy has what it takes to be an NFL QB. And keep in mind, Tebow plays in Florida. Not a guy used to the cold. LeFevour played at Central Michigan in the MAC, a conference with a lot of schools that play in colder weather open air stadiums. Michigan gets cold, windy, and snowy in the winter time. LeFevour has great stats, played in a climate conducive to success in the colder weather of Buffalo and did look good today. If we take him in the second round, I would be very happy with that selection.

LeFevour was clearly the best QB on the field at the senior bowl, playing mostly with receivers and rbs he hasn't played with before. IMO that is why the Senior Bowl game is a good environment to evaluate players. They are playing in unfamiliar confines with people they haven't played with before, but everyone is playing for something: the chance to increase their draft position and thus their money. There is big motivation to show up and play at the Senior Bowl. Tebow looked lost, but LeFevour looked poised, aware, and made all the throws they asked him to make. His throws did not "duck," or wobble, a sign of a weak armed toss over distance. And he sure can run. I'm not saying LeFevour is the best QB in the draft, or that he will necessarily be better than anyone else. I'm merely saying the guy has what it takes to be an NFL QB. And keep in mind, Tebow plays in Florida. Not a guy used to the cold. LeFevour played at Central Michigan in the MAC, a conference with a lot of schools that play in colder weather open air stadiums. Michigan gets cold, windy, and snowy in the winter time. LeFevour has great stats, played in a climate conducive to success in the colder weather of Buffalo and did look good today. If we take him in the second round, I would be very happy with that selection.

+1

All you people keep confusing weak with average, a good arm is NFL quality, a great arm is Elwayesque, Lefevour has a good arm, he didn't throw downfield a lot in college because they run the spread, but he CAN make all the throws. BTW how did JP losman and his "cannon" work out for us. Nix needs a Leader which is exactly what Lefevour is, and will continue to be. Lefevour drove the ball well today, had good release on passes and threw it DOWNFIELD, effectively. There is no arm problem with Lefevour, and as I have noted before, arm strength can be improved thru practice and the right workout regimen. He's my pick for Bills QB, easily the best QB at the Senior Bowl

well you're certainly entitled to your "pick" but based on what I have read from people who matter in the decision process, I really doubt that the Bills will take him. I appreciate that you think you found some MAAC qb no one has seen like the Steelers found, right? But He is not Ben Roethelisburger or maybe you think he'll go in the top 15? See Chase Daniels, Colt Brennan, etc for comparable NFL prospect

well you're certainly entitled to your "pick" but based on what I have read from people who matter in the decision process, I really doubt that the Bills will take him. I appreciate that you think you found some MAAC qb no one has seen like the Steelers found, right? But He is not Ben Roethelisburger or maybe you think he'll go in the top 15? See Chase Daniels, Colt Brennan, etc for comparable NFL prospect

im pretty sure your getting your info from mike mayock or mel kiper, and i respect that, but to believe that the bills upper-management uses their info from scouts on espn in the deciding process of the draft...well thats just childish and you're living in a fantasy land. thats why the bills have pro scouts hired.

no, he's not a 1st rd pick, but he's not Chase daniels or Colt brennan either.

What makes a good pro qb, leadership, experience, arm strength, what exactly are the criteria?

Lefevour, is a smart, experienced player 6-3 222, he def has the measurables, put up awesome #'s, but forget that, in today's game, against the best seniors in the country, he was the best QB on the field, showed good velocity and touch, not elite by any means, but good. listen to mike mayock, he said that every NFL caliber throw Lefevour made, was NFL quality, he's by far not a finished product, but he's has a very good base, and can be a very good player, hopefully for buffalo.

Also, sam bradford played in the spread, so do you throw out his 50 td yr too, at some point you have to look at the production and results, Lefevour produced.

no, he's not a 1st rd pick, but he's not Chase daniels or Colt brennan either.

What makes a good pro qb, leadership, experience, arm strength, what exactly are the criteria?

Lefevour, is a smart, experienced player 6-3 222, he def has the measurables, put up awesome #'s, but forget that, in today's game, against the best seniors in the country, he was the best QB on the field, showed good velocity and touch, not elite by any means, but good. listen to mike mayock, he said that every NFL caliber throw Lefevour made, was NFL quality, he's by far not a finished product, but he's has a very good base, and can be a very good player, hopefully for buffalo.

Also, sam bradford played in the spread, so do you throw out his 50 td yr too, at some point you have to look at the production and results, Lefevour produced.

He's not a bad QB....but that doesn't make him a bankable NFL starter by any means. At best, he projects to a nice Sage Rosenfels/Charlie Frye.

He's not a bad QB....but that doesn't make him a bankable NFL starter by any means. At best, he projects to a nice Sage Rosenfels/Charlie Frye.

true, but a perfect candidate to be groomed, behind say a vet free agency or trade pick up.

nothing is guaranteed, thats for sure. However, his skill set is enough to where he has the chance to be a legit player. for all the great things tebow supposedly does, Lefevour does them all better, he just played at a small school. I think he projects just as well as bradford or clausen, its just a different skill set

nothing is guaranteed, thats for sure. However, his skill set is enough to where he has the chance to be a legit player. for all the great things tebow supposedly does, Lefevour does them all better, he just played at a small school. I think he projects just as well as bradford or clausen, its just a different skill set

No one with any credibility has ever projected him at this level. At best, he tops out at a low-level starter after 3-4 years or a backup.

I'll again reiterate that if this guy had never played UB, the love affair with him would have never started.