Tax Time Again !

TSNBDSC

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't have enough competent professionals at the time, they schedule the client to come in at a time when they do have proper staffing... Did you skip the part about the 69 hours of required tax classes you have to take to work there? (89 hours in Oregon I believe). And the required continuing education you have to take to work there for a second year? It's not like they take the people with the 69 hours of classroom instruction and have them do a farmer's return (where every piece of livestock is an asset).

Honestly, how many times are you going to repeat this stupidity? 69 hours in a classroom is supposed to be some impressive feat? That's about equal to one semester.

The minimum requirement for a licensed accountant in most states is a 4 year degree (w/ minimum credit requirements in Accounting and Business, so in effect an Accounting or Finance degree), 2+ years of practical experience supervised by a practicing CPA, and passing the 14 hour CPA exam (which used to be 19 hours so that's what most current professionals passed).

And that's just to get the license. To maintain it also requires CPE credits every year. And most people who are actually running or working in a tax practice got their license in their 20s and have been practicing for years; meaning your average tax practitioner has probably been practicing for 15-20 years.

Please just stop. I'm sure HR Block is great for people who are too clueless to fill out a 1040-EZ form, but to suggest that the quality of tax service is equal to or better than an experienced CPA is simply laughable.

Before you blow off having a professional do your taxes ask Turbotax if converting all or part of your IRA to a Roth makes sense and if it does what would the tax ramifications be of converting. Let me know what Turbotax tells you.

Do you think most Americans have any retirement (let alone individual) left?

:D

:huh:

Do you think most Americans have any retirement (let alone individual) left?

:D

:huh:

Those Americans who didn't panic and left everything in their 401(k)s and IRAs should be mostly recovered by now -- I know I have, anyway....

Those Americans who didn't panic and left everything in their 401(k)s and IRAs should be mostly recovered by now -- I know I have, anyway....

Me too!

That being said... I remember my wife telling me an advisor telling her that she should be ahead of the curve: "You wouldn't believe how many people haven't even thought about socking money away... Anywhere."