Mock Draft...11 results in one

Munch

Why is it so hard for people to understand we are not one draft away from winning we are 2 to 3 drafts away, I would go with QB we have now, unless we get a flyer in 3rd round or somehow trade down, we need value and picks. Good Teams are built from the Lines out both Defense and Offense go Linemen on both sides... This year while putting in good schemes and adding low cost solid Free Agents, has no one noticed the TEAMS that win in this LEAGUE, COME ON MAN

Umm, have you not noticed that aside from Brohm (whom we got off of a practice squad and MIGHT be ok) or QBs are terrible. Do we need a better O line? obviously. But fact is, YOU DO NOT WIN IN THE NFL WITHOUT A GOOD QB. Period. You could have the best Oline in the league and Fitzpatrick will still overthrow everybody, and Trent will still checkdown. We need to address the QB situation this year.

Clausen, Pike or LeFevour are the best QB prospects in this class.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To start with..this is NOT a good year for qb's. there are three or four good offensive tackles for the first round. We NEED two offensive linemen...tackles. It would be nice to have another center, but the one we have is serviceable. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Fix the offensive line, fix the defensive line, then next year find a qb, assuming none of them available to us now pan out with a serviceable offensive line. Drafting a qb right now would be the Joey Harrington David Carr route....only with a player not as talented as Joey Harrington or David Carr.

You draft Clausen this year if you think he has the tools to play in the Nfl.He rides the pine for a season while you fix your oline with the balance of this years draft and next years.Btw dont forget about Incognito,i think he can play.If they kick Levitre out to Left tackle ,let Incognito play guard,Handgartner at center,Wood at guard,Butler,or Meridith at right tackle,may work

If Clausen or Bradford is there at 9, you take him. Based on this collection of mocks, only the Skins and Seahawks are looking QB (though two mocks have the rams taking clausen #1 overall), so hopefully one of them goes another way. If both guys are gone, you take a LT unless you see under-rated LTs we can get in round 2 and are in love with a front seven defender at 9, e.g., McClain.

Which quarterback reads the defense the best? Goes through the progressions? That's really the key. Pro-style offense experience is an asset, but I remember guys like Cade McNown. He came from a pro-style offense at UCLA but if his first target wasn't open, he was doomed.

If Clausen or Bradford is there at 9, you take him. Based on this collection of mocks, only the Skins and Seahawks are looking QB (thought two mocks have the rams taking clausen #1 overall), so hopefully one of them goes another way. If both guys are gone, you take a LT unless you see a under-rated LTs we can get in round 2 and are in love with a front seven defender at 9, e.g., McClain.

Washington will be a telling sign with who they pick.If they bypass Bradford for Clausen i hope the Bills dont take Bradford...There is a story out that says a Bradfords surgon was no other than a doctor Andrews the Redskins team doctor.If the Skins pass on Bradford for Clausen i think theres a good chance he is damaged goods.I rather get Lefevor or Pike.jmo

Couldn't disagree more, I would 'take' him if there at 9 but only and only if Sam Bradford and Rolando McClain are off the board. Bradford is the guy at QB. He is the best QB in this class and someone that Tha Chan could build around. Yes the shoulder, but I think they were two separate freak injuries. He's 6'5'' and can read defenses. I want the QB that has a nickname like Matty Ice or something, NOT the one with all the tangibles. There is just something JP Losman-esque about Jimmy Clausen - and I'm talking solely about his leadership qualities. He was the biggest high school recruit and proclaimed he'd bring ND football back. Obviously did not happen and he did put up good numbers but I just get the feeling that he's gonna flame out in the NFL.

ok, bradford is 6-4 1st off, he played in the spread, weve never seen him throw on the run, he's never seen a passrush, and when he did, BOOM injury. Decent arm strength, but at a mere 197 lbs, needs to bulk up to stay healthy.

Clausen, did all he could to bring ND football back, statistically, you couldn't get much better, it can't be held against him the his defense was TERRIBLE, and couldn't stop a PeeWee team. He is a cocky kid, thats no secret.

I don't want either, I'll wait for Lefevour in the 2nd or 3rd. But between the 2 if I had to pick, its clausen, hands down.

To start with..this is NOT a good year for qb's. there are three or four good offensive tackles for the first round. We NEED two offensive linemen...tackles. It would be nice to have another center, but the one we have is serviceable. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Fix the offensive line, fix the defensive line, then next year find a qb, assuming none of them available to us now pan out with a serviceable offensive line. Drafting a qb right now would be the Joey Harrington David Carr route....only with a player not as talented as Joey Harrington or David Carr.

Maybe you missed my line when I said:

"you get your QB whenever you think you have the chance to get a good one."

The post wasn't that long, nor difficult to understand. I argued that building an oline and then praying you find a QB when you think you are already to go makes ZERO sense. In fact, think about this way, what if we had that oline built and were ready to go? Now we would be faced with finding that franchise QB this season - one in which you say may not contain and good QB's. See the problem with that game plan?

Nice discussion about football on this thread instead of the usual crap.

I know very little about the QBs available for this draft, so the only thing I might add is that picking a QB in the first round has about a 50-50 success rate. Which is why more teams are trying to trade out of the first round. If you roll the dice and hit, your team is set for a decade. If not, you just spent a pile of money, set your team back, and wasted a first round pick. So the question becomes: Are any of the QB's franchise material?

I know very little about the QBs available for this draft, so the only thing I might add is that picking a QB in the first round has about a 50-50 success rate. Which is why more teams are trying to trade out of the first round. If you roll the dice and hit, your team is set for a decade. If not, you just spent a pile of money, set your team back, and wasted a first round pick. So the question becomes: Are any of the QB's franchise material?

Bingo.................See Jarmacus Russell

Bingo.................See Jarmacus Russell

I think that one pick alone has completely blown the Raiders apart. Al thinks Russell is going to be a good QB. His coaches don't agree. Because of the $$ involved, a first round pick can screw things up for years. The more I think about it, I say trade down for more picks

Cutler and Rivers both have terrible attitudes too though (IMO). But they still win and their teammates play hard for them (at least that is my understanding).

So, being a cocky pr*ck doesn't appear to overtly performance. And Claussen has never given me the impression that he doesn't get along with teammates or anything. It is just the fans that he rubs the wrong way.

One Jim Kelly was pretty cocky also...............................

Cutler and Rivers both have terrible attitudes too though (IMO). But they still win and their teammates play hard for them (at least that is my understanding).

So, being a cocky pr*ck doesn't appear to overtly performance. And Claussen has never given me the impression that he doesn't get along with teammates or anything. It is just the fans that he rubs the wrong way.

Jim Kelly was pretty cocky until he grew up a little. But I think it can affect performance if a guy is so cocky that he tries to force passes.

The problem is that your timeline doesn't fit. How many years does it take to get a great oline? Minimum two if you make all the right moves. If year 3 you are satisfied then you suggest trying to fill the QB slot, even though you have no idea if anyone is available that year TO fill it out. Even if you did find someone that year - you are looking at year four until they are productive. So now you are 6-7 years into the process... IF you nail that QB 1st try AND if you nail down 5 oline spots in 2 years.

:doh:

you get your QB whenever you think you have the chance to get a good one. Anything less is foolish and wishful thinking about the future.

To an extent there is some validity to your point but ONLY if you let the guy sit. I don't care who our QB is we need a line first and foremost. [insert standard statement about QB not being able to throw the ball lying on his back]. The only way we go QB first round is if you think the guy we can get is a "DIFFERENCE MAKER". I'm not talking about an ok guy. I mean a difference maker. Unless that guy is on the board when you draft you fix the O-line. It will be a shame to waste a #9 on an LT just to finally admit that we didn't have anyone on the roster that could hold Jason Peters jock. But hey, we love to waste first round picks on filling holes because we won't pay fair market value for players we spend the time to develop and become good at what they do.

The answer is to build the line. How many examples do we need to see that that is the way to build a successful team? Falcons and Matt Ryan, Ravens and Joe Flacco, Jets and Mark Sanchez. I unfortunately have to agree with the Donte Whitner tweet I heard about. Troy Smith would be a pretty damn good idea for us in the short term with the possibility to surprise and become more than a stop gap measure. If it were not literally for some freak rare form of tonsillitis he got in preseason 2 years ago...HE WAS NAMED THE STARTER over Flacco in Baltimore. Look up the articles he actually had the overwhelming support of his team mates up to that point. Flacco got the nod because they had no one else and the rest is history.

The guy is decently mobile and I think was a good leader and winner at the college level. If I am not mistaken he has been in the league 4 years and should be PRIMED to make a name for himself and start in a place like Buffalo. If not Troy Smith...f' it...get Vick in here if he comes cheap. No way Philly keeps all 3 of those QBs on the roster with those salaries.

Umm, have you not noticed that aside from Brohm (whom we got off of a practice squad and MIGHT be ok) or QBs are terrible. Do we need a better O line? obviously. But fact is, YOU DO NOT WIN IN THE NFL WITHOUT A GOOD QB. Period. You could have the best Oline in the league and Fitzpatrick will still overthrow everybody, and Trent will still checkdown. We need to address the QB situation this year.

Clausen, Pike or LeFevour are the best QB prospects in this class.

Here is another fact..... GOOD QBS DON'T WIN WITHOUT A GOOD LINE. Double Period..

I agree with this - that drafting a QB rd 1 is a gamble and round 1 picks are often more trouble than they are worth - and I prefer to build the team from the inside/out, focusing on OL and D front 7, but an LT is no sure thing either, so I think it comes down, as you suggest, to the question of whether either of these QBs (or any other in the draft) is worth the rd 1 gamble, keeping in mind other strengths and weaknesses of our roster. In my (non-expert) view, both Claussen and Bradford are worth it, and you can probably find a solid OT in round 2, but let's hope the Bills are at least thinking along these lines when they put together the draft board.

Maybe you missed my line when I said:

"you get your QB whenever you think you have the chance to get a good one."

The post wasn't that long, nor difficult to understand. I argued that building an oline and then praying you find a QB when you think you are already to go makes ZERO sense. In fact, think about this way, what if we had that oline built and were ready to go? Now we would be faced with finding that franchise QB this season - one in which you say may not contain and good QB's. See the problem with that game plan?

i must have missed your point. If this were a year when we had Kelly, Marino, Elway and a few other hall of famers in the draft I'd say go for it. I suppose when you have THAT chance you go for it. for that matter if Suh or Okong came to us I'd go for them as well. However for the purposes of this draft neither Clausen nor Bradford are in future hall of fame or even top ten (for most years) categories.

If we had that o-line and were ready to go now Fitzpatrick would play better. The receivers would be much more productive. Jackson and Lynch would be running through defenses. We might make the playoffs. If we got a passable free agent or trade quarterback (even Michael Vick) we could be very good. We might draft a qb in round 3 (LeFevour looks good to me) who can sit and learn..but there will be good qb's in the next draft and we might want to get us a linebacker or defensive end to improve against the run. There isn't much qb talent out there and a rookie qb without an offensive line (D'Brick, Faneca, Mangold being drafted before Sanchez) isn't going to do much.

The problem is that your timeline doesn't fit. How many years does it take to get a great oline? Minimum two if you make all the right moves. If year 3 you are satisfied then you suggest trying to fill the QB slot, even though you have no idea if anyone is available that year TO fill it out. Even if you did find someone that year - you are looking at year four until they are productive. So now you are 6-7 years into the process... IF you nail that QB 1st try AND if you nail down 5 oline spots in 2 years.

:doh:

you get your QB whenever you think you have the chance to get a good one. Anything less is foolish and wishful thinking about the future.

Yeah, except IMO your timeline doesn't hold water with the Bills because I'm thinking that we're only 1 man and good health short of a fine OL. We have very fine Guards, C and RT; also we have experienced backups while the missing link is the LT. Get that guy in the fold and we're ready in 1 year (that is if the NFL has a playing season in 1 year). ;)

You draft Clausen this year if you think he has the tools to play in the Nfl.He rides the pine for a season while you fix your oline with the balance of this years draft and next years.Btw dont forget about Incognito,i think he can play.If they kick Levitre out to Left tackle ,let Incognito play guard,Handgartner at center,Wood at guard,Butler,or Meridith at right tackle,may work

I agree Clausen would have to sit at least a year ....but we know today's NFL. If you get paid ...you have to play. No way we draft a QB at 9 and he doesn't start given the crap we currently have at QB. He get's killed behind our Ralph Wilson/Russ Brandon bargain basement O-line and he is committed to a mental facility by years end with shell shock and constantly hearing footsteps.

Levitre to LT?...Don't mean to be a jerk but he's not even a great NFL guard right now. What makes you think he can even be an average LT with his short little alligator arms? The guy we need to play LT on our line is NOT anywhere on the current roster. If we get one and give our QB a fighting chance it's got to be a high priced free agent wanting a lot, if not, Peter's money or an unproven rookie in the draft burning our first round pick and paying $7 million a year to a guy that has never played a down in the NFL.