Great article on Gailey from his tenure in Dallas

jcblanco22

Here, through the power of archives, is some corroboration of what I'd mentioned in another thread about Gailey's time in Dallas often being largely misunderstood. The link reveals an article that depicts how much praise Gailey and his system were getting when the Cowboys were 2-0 early in 1999 and Irvin had yet to get hurt:

Chan Gailey's Offense and Chan Gailey Maintain Separate Identities

This is exactly what we were looking for in a head man. Someone who pounds the ball in order to open up the passing game. Someone who knows how to gameplan and enjoys the in game cat and mouse of reacting to the defenses he sees on the field. It's nice to see that a HC actually calls plays based on down and distance, field position and clock management because we have been sorely lacking in that department During the decade of Dick.

This is exactly what we were looking for in a head man. Someone who pounds the ball in order to open up the passing game. Someone who knows how to gameplan and enjoys the in game cat and mouse of reacting to the defenses he sees on the field. It's nice to see that a HC actually calls plays based on down and distance, field position and clock management because we have been sorely lacking in that department During the decade of Dick.

With the weapons the Bills have this should be a great fit. Here is hoping they get the QB in FA or the draft that can take it to the house or audible into the right play at the right time.

Its a nice article but its also 10 years old.

I heard Chan Gailey's 4th grade teacher told Chan's mom that she thought Chan could be President of the United States some day ;-)

Seriously, I am willing to give the guy a shot..he is starting from scratch in terms of discipline and work ethic with some of these guys--but the NFL is Not For Long if you don't produce W's pretty quickly. We need to see progress this season....

I heard Chan Gailey's 4th grade teacher told Chan's mom that she thought Chan could be President of the United States some day ;-)

Seriously, I am willing to give the guy a shot..he is starting from scratch in terms of discipline and work ethic with some of these guys--but the NFL is Not For Long if you don't produce W's pretty quickly. We need to see progress this season....

It shows he has done a good job before. The thing that keeps sticking out to me is Jerry Jones is quoted in a lot of articles that the firing of Chan was a huge mistake. I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised.

It shows he has done a good job before. The thing that keeps sticking out to me is Jerry Jones is quoted in a lot of articles that the firing of Chan was a huge mistake. I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised.

I am hoping and thinking right with you my friend. The guy probably feels like he got a major league screwing over by Nip and Tuck Jerry and wants to show everyone that Jones let a hall of fame coach go. The first major evaluation will be the assistants he hires. I am not looking for names but I am looking for coaches who have a track record with successful teams and are known for driving accountability.

Two things in the article I like:

1) Making other teams actually have to game plan against our offense--hasn't happened in a long, long time.

2) Adjustments..a coach who makes adjustments? What is this foreign concept?

Gailey will be fine if the Bills can finally get a good QB. With the right tools he can win, and I think he is capable of setting higher standards and expectations for the players (has any Bills coach ever set lower standards than Dick Jauron?).

I'm much more concerned about the drafting of players. The scouting/drafting ihas been weak. They need to raise the overall team talent level AND get 2 guys capable of making big plays in the Front Seven on defense.

You mean because Ralph won't fire a guy who doesn't win right away? :P

The best part of this article for me was

“The other part is the game-day adjustments, and I enjoy that, too. It involves figuring out what did they change, how do we adjust to it, and how quickly?”

We definitely need someone who can make adjustments during the game -- besides just curling up in a little ball and letting Belicheat run over us at will in the second half.

Anyone else find it interesting that the first three posters in this "rah, rah" thread all joined in the last few months--two of whom joined in the last few weeks, including the thread's author? Just sayin'......

Haha yeah i think the're Russ Brandon's kids. One of them called him "Champ" Dailey.