Levitre, Byrd named to PFW/PFWA all rookie team

Beerball

Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while.

Or more likely this was the 1st draft that Buddy Nix was involved in...his track record at SD was pretty sweet as well....oh wait, he's too old. Sorry to interupt the negative whinefest on the board.

Or more likely this was the 1st draft that Buddy Nix was involved in...his track record at SD was pretty sweet as well....oh wait, he's too old. Sorry to interupt the negative whinefest on the board.

I don't see why anyone would have any reason to be upset or lack confidence in the team, I mean look at all the success the Bills have had in the last decade.

Nice that our 3rd and 4th picks performed as well as they did. Too bad our #1 could not find his way onto the field.

Link

This isn't new but I don't remember seeing it...sorry if a repeat.

Was Maybin a bad choice for 09?

Yep (now tell me something which is not obvious)

Is Maybin a career bust?

NO! An observer needs to be nuts to declare a player a total bust after one season.

My sense is that clearly the odds are against Maybin having a good career (though actually they are only a hair above 50/50 for any first round pick to be a starter after his first year based on what reality has been in the past).

The odds are actually a good bit higher for a top 10 pick so faulting the Bills for picking a choice who did not produce much as a rookie is quite reasonable.

However, even the thinnest analysis should be able to identify likely reasons for this first year error which are simply far more likely than the Bills simply picked an idiot with their top 10 choice last year.

More logical explanations include:

1. The mistake the Bills made in the 09 draft was in selecting a player whom they did not see from talking to him at the Combine and also their relationship with his agent that there was a pretty good chance they were not going to make him a contract offer which would bring him into camp on time. If the Bills had gauged correctly that they were not likely to make a contract offer to sign their #1 quickly then they should have selected a #1 whom they knew would be able to contribute without pre-season camp.

2. Maybin strikes me as showing little production in 09 because we always planned to utilize him at a position other than the one which attracted us to him in the first place. The Bills appear to have figured Maybin to be an OLB right from the start based on the LB jersey number they gave him. He certainly demonstrated the speed rusher chops with his achievement at RDE in college. In fact, since he was often lining up against the TE in college rather than the LT he has demonstrated the ability to take on such players and give him OLB duties to this athletic player was quite rational. However, he clearly was gonna need to practice as a Pro in a new position for him to be productive and by not getting him into camp immediately the Bills in essence committed to non-productivity in his first year.

It simply is dumb and shows a lack if football intellect for anyone to declare Maybin a bust right now.

A disappointment in 09, YES.

However, this fault likely falls more on DJ and the on-field braintrust than it does on the FO for picking a player not capable of becoming a solid pro. Maybin may already have lost the critical confidence in his game to become a very good player. However, what seems to strike me as a key to him becoming a success is for the Bills LB coaches and DC next year to construct a D which employs his better talents and for them to personally build his confidence so that he goes out and demonstrates the same speed and skills which got him double digit sacks as a youngster in college.

I believe Maybin can be a productive player with solid coaching.