Mark Sanchez's 2009 vs. JaMarcus Russell's 2008

JaMarcus Russell, 2008, 23 years old: Started 15 games, 198-for-368, 53.8%, 2,423 yards, 13 TDs, 8 INTs.

Mark Sanchez, 2009, 23 years old: Started 15 games, 196-for-364, 53.8%, 2,444 yards, 12 TDs, 20 INTs.

I'm not one of the guys who takes the stats at face value. There's more to numbers than fantasy points, and I don't think Sanchez will be the incredible bust that Russell appears to be. However, there's no denying the eerie similarity of their rookie stats. Obviously, it can't be overstated that Sanchez is on a much better team, with a better coach, a better defense, a better run game, and a better OLine. Does that make his stats better or worse?

I think there's some hidden data in those numbers which would suggest Sanchez is a better QB. For example (I have no facts to back this up )I have to believe that Sanchez is much better on 3rd down than Russell. In the few games I've watched, he's seemed to have a knack for converting passes and keeping drives alive. And a TD pass to put your team up 14-10 is much different from a TD pass when your team is down 24-0.

Take it for what it's worth, I just found it interesting.

JaMarcus Russell, 2008, 23 years old: Started 15 games, 198-for-368, 53.8%, 2,423 yards, 13 TDs, 8 INTs.

Mark Sanchez, 2009, 23 years old: Started 15 games, 196-for-364, 53.8%, 2,444 yards, 12 TDs, 20 INTs.

I'm not one of the guys who takes the stats at face value. There's more to numbers than fantasy points, and I don't think Sanchez will be the incredible bust that Russell appears to be. However, there's no denying the eerie similarity of their rookie stats. Obviously, it can't be overstated that Sanchez is on a much better team, with a better coach, a better defense, a better run game, and a better OLine. Does that make his stats better or worse?

I think there's some hidden data in those numbers which would suggest Sanchez is a better QB. For example (I have no facts to back this up )I have to believe that Sanchez is much better on 3rd down than Russell. In the few games I've watched, he's seemed to have a knack for converting passes and keeping drives alive. And a TD pass to put your team up 14-10 is much different from a TD pass when your team is down 24-0.

Take it for what it's worth, I just found it interesting.

Sanchez has sucked bigtime when the Jets ask him to do anything more than turn around and handoff virtually every play while throwing only 15 passes per game. If the Jets have to rely on him to do anything more than that, they will get clobbered by the Colts, because Sanchez will be a turnover factory again. Sorry Rex, you can't hide your QB forever...

Sanchez has sucked bigtime when the Jets ask him to do anything more than turn around and handoff virtually every play while throwing only 15 passes per game. If the Jets have to rely on him to do anything more than that, they will get clobbered by the Colts, because Sanchez will be a turnover factory again. Sorry Rex, you can't hide your QB forever...

They ride that run game no doubt. But Sanchez hasn't been horrendous. The INTs look bad, but if you consider that 15 out of the 20 came in four Jets losses, he has played fairly well in 13 of his 17 career games. And he graduated from his up-and-down regular season with two road playoff wins and crucial TD passes in each game.

He's far from a field general and he's far from putting a team on his shoulders and winning. But he's proven to be capable of converting 3rd downs and making the necessary throws. 2500 yards for a season can be plenty, if they come in the right situations and you have that run support and defensive support.

I hope the Colts smoke them by 30.

Do people realize that JaMarcus Russell and Marshawn Lynch are cousins? Could you imagine both of them on the same team? That would be the icing on the cake for this franchise.

Russell could not study his playbook while riding around with Lynch who is busy running people over...

That's right. He held out forever, correct? Basically washed his '07 season down the drain before it began.

Bet the Raiders wish he was still holding out...maybe Davis will come up with some scheme to try and prove that Russell didn't actually sign his contract and that he doesn't owe him anymore money...