Opinion time....what starting OT's will be available

Astrobot, I bow to your expertise on draft matters, especially this early in the process. Thanks for the research fodder.

But mocks that I have seen don't have Bruce Campbell falling to the second. Did you mean the first?

Gee, maybe that's why he'd be a 'real value' if he dropped to round 2? :oops:

(Isn't the title of this thread "Opinion time...what starting OTs will be available in the SECOND round? Hey Astrobot - are you sure you didn't mean the 5th round? :thumbsup: )

As long as we pick a left OT in the first round, I think we can go a long way toward solidifying the right tackle position with round 2. I might want to take a flyer on a great defensive lineman with the first and go to finding tackles in rounds 2 and 3, but that would be pretty risky. The problem that is crippling us is the offensive line.

Maybe we should just get a left-handed QB and focus on the right side of the line. Seems easier. Know any southpaws?

Seriously, though, the team has so many needs and is in such desperate need of real playmakers, I'm really pressed to draft for value and not need in the first round. And there have been solid hits in the 2nd round at tackle, even for rookies: Marcus McNeil and Phil Loadholt recently.

Our team is full of mediocre talent and you want to trade down and acquire more mediocre talent? We have a shot at a difference maker at 9. I don't want to give that up for 2 more middle of the road players.

I hear what you are saying but one difference maker surrounded by 52 dog doodoo players just won't make any difference (pun WAS intended).

What we need are a BUNCH of good players before we start worrying about that one or two "difference makers" that get us over the hump.

Only need to address a few positions? I thought we had an anemic offense with no QB and a swiss cheese line and one of the worst run defenses in the league this past year. Should be no problem passing the Patriots and Jets in the division with just a few hits in the draft. Guess the Pats with their 3 no. 1s and 4 no.2s, they acquired through DEALING in the next two draft s wont be getting any better.

Yeah, a few positions. QB, LT, LB. We need talent at those positions, not more mediocre players. If we're switching to a 3-4 then that obviously changes.

I don't think the Patriots have three number one's. I think they have just one. But they do have three two's. And they've been dealing picks for YEARS, it wasn't just a product of last year's draft. They've ruled the draft for years, but most speculation was that they were gunning for Harvin and outsmarted themselves. And we aren't exactly in the same position as the Patriots. As I said, they drafted for the future. We don't have that luxury. Think more of Cleveland's draft and what a disaster that was.

The only thing worse than your draft thoughts is your reading comprehension. The pats have those picks in the next 2 drafts. They traded Seymore and have Oaklands number 1 next year, plus their own no.1s this year and next. They got the extra 2s through trading down. Its what the Pats do, acquire more picks. Tell ya what, would ya trade Byrd and Levitre(2 second rounders) for Maybin???

Our team is full of mediocre talent and you want to trade down and acquire more mediocre talent? We have a shot at a difference maker at 9. I don't want to give that up for 2 more middle of the road players.

wow, do you actually pay attention to the draft?

Lots of great players go in rounds 2, 3 and 4!

I remember a guy we drafted at #4 that had NO MOTIVATION. Picking high mean big money and perhaps no reason wo work high

Amen. We only need to address a few positions, but we need to hit on those. People get so obsessed with trading down. If the right opportunity is there and the guy(s) we want aren't, then sure. But otherwise we should take a player of value there that fills one of top needs (LT, QB).

I completely agree. Right now the Bills don't have anyone at either QB or LT, unless you want to count Brohm. We need to use whatever draft picks it takes to get the right players at both those positions if we're going to be successful. If the right player at either position is there at #9, and if he's a good value, then trading down would be penny wise, pound foolish.

To give an example of this, take the 2004 draft. Eli Manning went first overall, Philip Rivers 4th overall, and Ben Roethlisberger 11th overall. The Bills took Losman 23rd overall. More recently, the Falcons took Matt Ryan 3rd overall, and now they don't have to worry about their QB position for the next 10+ years.

Earlier, someone made the argument that Levitre and Byrd were second round picks, and they've worked out well. But it's a lot easier to find good OGs or Ss in the 2nd round than it is to find good LTs or (especially!) QBs! People point to Tom Brady (6th round, 2000) or Drew Brees (2nd round, 2001) as examples of good quarterbacks drafted outside the first round. But how many guys like that have there been since then? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

A team's core consists of high level difference makers at key positions. Right now the Bills don't have much of a core at all. That's something that has to change if they're going to seriously challenge for the division title. Getting either the right QB or the right LT would be a very good place to start!

The Bills are in rebuilding mode. A successful rebuilding effort begins by getting the right core players in place. Guys who will be with you over the long term. While I'd also like to see some effort towards more quantity--for example on the second day of the draft--building the core has to take priority.

I remember a guy we drafted at #4 that had NO MOTIVATION. Picking high mean big money and perhaps no reason wo work high

Okay. But you can also have a bunch of non-first round picks, and come away with nothing. Take the 2005 draft for example. The Bills chose the following guys:

2. Roscoe Parrish, WR

3. Kevin Everett, TE

4. Duke Preston, C

5. Eric King, CB

6. Justin Geisinger, G

7. Lionel Gates, RB

Or consider the non-first round picks of the 2004 draft. Those were:

3. Tim Anderson, DT

4. Tim Euhus, TE

7. Dylan McFarland, T

7. Jonathan Smith, WR

That's two straight years in which TD achieved literally nothing at all on draft day, except for his first round picks. In fact, his only success story over those two drafts was Lee Evans. Chosen 13th overall.