Tom Donahue and Gregg Williams

In all honesty, their regime seems a hell of a lot better than what is going on currently and that is really saying something. TD could bring in a free agent or two and I'll take the blow-horn mentality of Greggo over the cupcake they are about to bring in. Frankly, I prefer to have Greggo in a second tour of duty then any of the current frontrunners in this deathmarch of a coaching search.

In all honesty, their regime seems a hell of a lot better than what is going on currently and that is really saying something. TD could bring in a free agent or two and I'll take the blow-horn mentality of Greggo over the cupcake they are about to bring in. Frankly, I prefer to have Greggo in a second tour of duty then any of the current frontrunners in this deathmarch of a coaching search.

TD and Greggo were a bit more organized. Sure they made mistakes but there was at least common sense at times and optimism even if it turned out to be false optimism. Greggo was a hot hire and a guy teams actually might have wanted unlike the last 3 head coaching hires (Including Gaily). TD got some free agents here although he drafted poorly.

TD and Greggo were a bit more organized. Sure they made mistakes but there was at least common sense at times and optimism even if it turned out to be false optimism. Greggo was a hot hire and a guy teams actually might have wanted unlike the last 3 head coaching hires (Including Gaily). TD got some free agents here although he drafted poorly.

Personally, I think Mularkey was the one that might have been a good hire...

btw- I got it from an "inside source" (I know how well that stuff goes over here, but take it FWIW) Tom Donohoe actually offered his assistance to Mr Wilson in helping to find a new GM for the team... strange I know. I wish Ralph had taken him up on it...

btw- I got it from an "inside source" (I know how well that stuff goes over here, but take it FWIW) Tom Donohoe actually offered his assistance to Mr Wilson in helping to find a new GM for the team... strange I know. I wish Ralph had taken him up on it...

That's pretty wild about TD... I wish he would've taken him up on it too. No doubt TD made many mistakes, but this organization has really looked Mickey Mouse since the day he left, I also think we'd be better off if he was still here.

That's pretty wild about TD... I wish he would've taken him up on it too. No doubt TD made many mistakes, but this organization has really looked Mickey Mouse since the day he left, I also think we'd be better off if he was still here.

I agree. But, Ralph is a big grudge holder. It sounds like he blames TD for most of the mess this team is in right now. Personally, I think this team is bad, close to the level they were in 1984-85, as opposed to just "not very good" as they were while Donohoe was in charge. Apparently, though, TD was a bit arrogant and didn't really endear himself to anyone at 1 Bills Drive.

I agree. But, Ralph is a big grudge holder. It sounds like he blames TD for most of the mess this team is in right now. Personally, I think this team is bad, close to the level they were in 1984-85, as opposed to just "not very good" as they were while Donohoe was in charge. Apparently, though, TD was a bit arrogant and didn't really endear himself to anyone at 1 Bills Drive.

I blame Marv for the singular mistake of hiring DJ for the state we are in now.

But now we have a new elderly idiot in charge about to make THE IDENTICAL ERROR, hiring the sub par, out of work coach Chan Gailey.

I would agree that talent-wise, this team is right down there with the 1984-85 teams. It just isn't that apparent in the final records with the present-day watered-down parity. I shudder to think what would happen to the remaining 4 teams this year if they had to play the 84 49ers or the 85 Bears. :thumbsup:

IMHO, the TD reign or error was defined by him being a football guy of a lot of skills (he showed a lot of football knowledge gained as GM in Pitts who made a great move for that football team in terms of hiring Cowher though it proved to be a disaster for him personally as Cowher ran TD out of town and added to that by taking his year after getting fired to work for a network and travel around and talk to lots of folks to bring updated intelligence to his next job)

Add to that he demonstrated great production here in Buffalo as a business guy where he led the Bills belatedly into the 20th century (I know it was the 21st century but the Bills only recently before TD's hire had been handling will call tickets at the stadium using a shoebox rather than a computer to sort and hold tickets so TDs job was to move a primitive corporation forward). He did this as seen in the new deal with St. John's Fisher, new partnerships with other corporations and generally improving the business side of the operation.

However, all this was more than balanced off and eventually sunk by my sense that TD had decided he was never going to get run over by a guy he hired as HC. He was blown away in his interview with GW because at the base of it he knew he could beat Greggo in a fight if it came down to it and GW with his lists and contacts was actually well suited to be a great Administrative Asst. to TD rather than be the HC we fans wanted.

He chose GW who had the clear weakness of being a great DC but really having no offensive credentials. He allowed GW to pick an offensive braintrust which had the same inexperience he had. He gained further power over GW by his first OC, Kragthorpe being so bad he got canned with a year left on his contract. The relationship proved to be so toxic that when GW told the press that Larry Centers would be a Bill as long as he chose, within a week TD had cut Centers (much to Larry's surprise) and signed Sam Gash.

TD always struck me as having an agenda of saying never again to getting fired like he did in the fight with Cowher. Bills fans paid the price for this.

I always take crap for it, but I was a fan of TD...I always felt that he'd get it right sooner or later, and I loved how he was able to bring in players who, at the time, were the talk of TBD and looked like great additions. Unfortunately several of his key decisions didn't pan out, but as I said, I'm confident they would have sooner or later. I think it was a huge mistake letting him get away.

I always take crap for it, but I was a fan of TD...I always felt that he'd get it right sooner or later, and I loved how he was able to bring in players who, at the time, were the talk of TBD and looked like great additions. Unfortunately several of his key decisions didn't pan out, but as I said, I'm confident they would have sooner or later. I think it was a huge mistake letting him get away.

What I liked about TD, he was very pro-active, and, as I recall, the Bills were in great shape, salary cap wise during his tenure.

The one place he screwed up, was with the O-line (a trend that continued after he left), picking up underachievers, and guys who had big reputations coming out of college, but never panned out. The difference though, he never overpayed for his free agent gambles. I believe had he stayed on, this team would be in far better shape than it is now.... does Willis McGahee look so bad now that he was replaced by the next GM, with Marshawn Lynch?

Stockholm syndrome? :thumbsup:

:cry:

I can't believe how bad things are with the Bills. People are actually having fond memories of TD? When he left everyone on the team was pissed and paranoid. Wilson hired Marv just to mend the fences that TD had broke down. I guess everything is relative and this tread is an indication of how bad the current management of the team is. I would suggest that we as fans lament the way this team has come apart at the seams without rewriting history.

On another note I am almost hoping for a lock out next year. Maybe then this organization will have time to repair the damage and get back to playing winning football.