Genesis: Better With or Without Gabriel?

truth on hold

In totality the band hit an artistic peak with Gabriel culminating in the LLDOB. Foxtrot, and Selling England by the Pound were also prog rock materpieces. I thought the first 2 post Gabriel era albums Trick of the Tale and Wind and Wuthering were excellent albums in their own right and compare very favorably with the Gabriel era material.

Things went downhill for me as a fan after guitarist Steve Hackket left the band. The followup album And then there were Three is not bad at all, very heavy in Tony Banks keyboards and overall melancholy feel. The single Follow You, Follow Me was preview of the popier sound the band would take in subsequent years. Duke is alright but Abacab to me was a fiasco and I lost interest them afterwards.

some nice work from Hackett on "Dance With the Moonlit Knight" and to a lesser extent "Firth of Fifth"

but do you really think he drove the progressive side of the band?

i would have thought lyrically that came from Gabriel and musically from Banks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some nice work from Hackett on "Dance With the Moonlit Knight" and to a lesser extent "Firth of Fifth"

but do you really think he drove the progressive side of the band?

i would have thought lyrically that came from Gabriel and musically from Banks

He was the best guitarist in the band and IMO all you have to do is listen to Horizon's to understand what I mean.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

:ph34r:

How in the hell did Phil make it on to a Bills message board?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/quotes

What, no credit to Ameerican Psyco??

[laughs]

<A href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000288/">Patrick Bateman: Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your !@#$. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

He said he can't do it because of his schedule. If he can work it out he'll do it. Hopefully, he can work it out.

I didn't know he had a covers album coming out. That should be interesting.

The group is actually more likely to collaborate on a possible movie project, Gabriel says. “The only thing that might happen is that some people talk about a film of the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. If it is to happen, we might work together on that. We’ll see.”

It would be awesome to see that get off the ground. :doh: