Free Agents

Wizard

Knowing the Bills philosophy with Buddy Nix now at GM, the Bills obviously won't spend a lot of money or garner interest from the top free agents; however, there are some guys who are potential upgrades in our weakest spots...QB, OL, DL, TE, and LB.

Which two free agents do you think would be the best fit for Buffalo or the most likely to join our team?

QB Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins (28)

New coach and GM. Campbell isn't the long-term solution in Washington, but he is probably a better overall QB talent than anyone currently at the position.

QB Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos (27)

He dinks and dunks...sounds familiar. And, the Broncos did collapse, but Orton has been a starter with a winning record for both the Bears and Broncos.

WR Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)

Started in the last six games for Chargers in regular season. He is 6'5. Unlike James Hardy, he has stats to show that he can be a #2 type receiver.

WR Kevin Walter, Houston Texans (29)

A frequently mentioned guy in past board discussions on free agents. He is coming off an injury. He has size and is a #2 or #3 type guy.

TE Tony Scheffler, Denver Broncos (27)

He is used primarily for blocking, but he has had some better numbers in the past.

TE Bo Scaife, Tennessee Titans (29)

He isn't flashy or overly athletic...typical Bills type player. But, he makes a lot of short catches and has led the Titans in the past in number of receptions.

RT/OG Marcus McNeill, San Diego Chargers (26)

Has had neck and back problems, but he is a starter for San Diego and often plays LT. He isn't as talented as Jason Peters, but he would come much cheaper He might be a solid RT option.

OL Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints (27)

Good run-blocker. Buffalo needs to focus more on running the ball with Jackson and using Lynch despite being overrated. He's a natural guard. If we got him, I would put Eric Wood at starting center.

DE Johnny Jolly, Green Bay Packers (27)

His strength is stopping the run, but he isn't much of a pass rusher. He occasionally has lined up as a DT for the Packers.

DE Ray Edwards, Minnesota Vikings (25)

Obviously, when you have the Williams guys and Jared Allen, you will look good. But, Edwards had about 7 sacks this year. He's a good pass rusher and young.

DT Tony Brown, Tennessee Titans (29)

More of a pass rushing DT. He is known for being quick.

LB Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders (28)

Yes...he plays for the Raiders which means the LB's get all the tackles because the defensive line doesn't do much, but he plays inside linebacker and has 100+ tackles year in and year out. May be a good if we go 3-4.

LB D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns (26)

Inside linebacker that is young. He reminds me of a young London Fletcher. Nose on the ball kind of guy.

None of these guys will overwhelm you, but in my opinion, any of these guys would be mid-priced free agents that have shown more production at positions that the Bills need.

Fire away with thoughts.

Wizard

I say Richard Seymour to play DT beside Stroud and give up our 1st for McNeil (he'll likely receive a 1st Round tender) if we're going to draft a LT at #9 anyway.

edit: I still hope we take McClain at #9. :wallbash:

How Nix said he wants FA to go, here is my 2 guys from that list.

WR-Kevin Walter, he isn't anything great but he is a soild #2 WR. Something we really need.

TE-Bo Scaife, nothing great but a soild TE. Nelson, Scaife, Fine/Sho. Would be a nice TE set.

Kyle Orton

Not sure if he'd be a mid priced FA. I'm thinking probably more high priced since he's really the only good FA QB available. I'd also consider Tavaris Jackson. I didn't see him on your list and would take him way over Jason Campbell. I wouldn't take him if he offered to play for free. With Kyle Orton and better OLIne and we're playoff bound next year.

I know he's not the young franchise QB that will lead us to multiple SB wins. But since none of those are out there, let's try to get a guy who can help us get our first winning season in 6 years.

Don't know too much about the other guys.

If I'm taking two, then Ray Edwards DE is first because he's a better run defender than Kelsay and will probably get an extra sack or two over Kelsay as well, The second player I'd take would depend on how much I like the OTs in the draft- Russell Okung is not going to be there- so the question becomes how much do I like Campbell, Bulaga, Davis if I'm pretty sure I'm taking a OT with the first pick then I'd want Johnny Jolly as a free agent- if I think I'm going McClain or someone else I'd take a chance on Alex Barron OT.