Flutie curse lifted

major

Somebody here asks the question, why is this still going on? Here's an answer: Johnson's fans, much like Edwards' fans today, have a litany of excuses why their man doesn't do better. Which is fine. Until they forget that the guy they don't like is winning with the same bad O-line, the same dumb coaches, etc.

Actually I think it's the opposite, Flutopians can't let go of the myth, because the little guy got a raw deal. Perhaps. But it's not like he was going to win against top teams which was the crux of the debate at the time.

I think that even the hardest RJ supporters of the time can admit that the guy just didn't have the full package to succeed in the game. However, back then it was obvious to most observers that Flutie's game had topped out and he had serious issues playing against top teams. By 1999 he was shot and didn't look much better in 2000. So realistically it always made more sense to go with the younger guy to see if he would amount to anything. Unfortunately, the RJ experiment failed, but it's not like things would have been rosy if Flutie was retained. By his second year in SD, he lost his job to a rookie.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think it's the opposite, Flutopians can't let go of the myth, because the little guy got a raw deal. Perhaps. But it's not like he was going to win against top teams which was the crux of the debate at the time.

I think that even the hardest RJ supporters of the time can admit that the guy just didn't have the full package to succeed in the game. However, back then it was obvious to most observers that Flutie's game had topped out and he had serious issues playing against top teams. By 1999 he was shot and didn't look much better in 2000. So realistically it always made more sense to go with the younger guy to see if he would amount to anything. Unfortunately, the RJ experiment failed, but it's not like things would have been rosy if Flutie was retained. By his second year in SD, he lost his job to a rookie.

Hmmm. Almost sounds fair, if you can overlook the patronizing use of the term "Flutopians". But then you pretty much ignored what I wrote, and then added something that is utter nonsense about 2000.

Hmmm. Sounds nice, and conciliatory. If you ignore the patronizing use of the term "Flutopians". But you pretty much ignored what I wrote, and then added something that is utter nonsense about 2000.

I ignored it because everything you wrote had nothing to do with your claim that RJ's supporters are the ones who keep dragging things up. I think that 99% of RJ's supporters at the time fully realize his abilities by now.

If you're referring specifically to his performance in that one game, then everyone also forgets that Wade decided to play Fina with a bad leg in the first quarter against one of the better pass rushers that year, which led to Titans' early points. Take that, and a few questionable calls that went against Buffalo in the first half and I think that Johnson played very well in the second half to put his team in a position to win. The way Flutie finished the second part of '99 doesn't give me much confidence that the result would have been much different.

I ignored it because everything you wrote had nothing to do with your claim that RJ's supporters are the ones who keep dragging things up. I think that 99% of RJ's supporters at the time fully realize his abilities by now.

If you're referring specifically to his performance in that one game, then everyone also forgets that Wade decided to play Fina with a bad leg in the first quarter against one of the better pass rushers that year, which led to Titans' early points. Take that, and a few questionable calls that went against Buffalo in the first half and I think that Johnson played very well in the second half to put his team in a position to win. The way Flutie finished the second part of '99 doesn't give me much confidence that the result would have been much different.

I guess you misunderstood something I typed in a prior post, and I have no idea why. I never said anything bad about Johnson's performance in the Tennessee game. But once again, you prove my initial point; you have excuses out your wazoo about why Johnson didn't leave that game with a 158 passer rating, but you just won't concede that the same reasons why he didn't could possibly account for why Flutie had a few ragged games in '99. One game that was quite similar was the Baltimore game. It was obvious that the Ravens were building a top D (see: the following season), but winning the game wasn't enough. The AZ game, which I was at, a Cards DB who never made a good play his entire pro career made a circus catch INT. The two losses in the middle of the season against the Raiders and Seahawks...no defense those two days, and the Bills had to chuck and chuck and chuck the whole game. See what I mean? Excuses are easy to come by, and I could say the same thing you did...how would those games be different with Johnson? And there is an obvious answer....Rob would eventually have fallen on the ball again, and Doug would have been back out of necessity.

And on that note, I'm outta here.

Here's a fact

Johnson and Flutie both sucked...as QBs and as teammates. Neither could do the job onfield and neither was mature enough to put the team first because they both brought the QB controversy to the media in a childish manner

anyone who doesn't realize that is living in a fantasy world

Johnson's performance in the 49ers game is kind of overstated. The 49ers just didn't mentally show up for the game. They had something like 25 penalties that day. And eventually they did wake up and almost came back to win it.

I agree with you that RJ did a heckuva job against the Titans; I don't think that winning the game would have altered the future for him. He was just a fragile guy (his wikipedia entry describes his elbow tendon before Tommy John surgery as being frayed from overuse; if I were him, I'd edit that myself, because that's just embarrassing), and he reacted horribly to defensive pressure.

Somebody here asks the question, why is this still going on? Here's an answer: Johnson's fans, much like Edwards' fans today, have a litany of excuses why their man doesn't do better. Which is fine. Until they forget that the guy they don't like is winning with the same bad O-line, the same dumb coaches, etc.

The poster that chewed my a$$ and said I was a RJ homer and made him sick stated that Flutie turned around the season. I pointed out that the turnaround actually started w/Johnson under center. My thought was would it have given him more confidence, would the split locker room decided to follow him? My thought was that would have been his defining moment...he never came close to anything else. I think Flutie should have played the game. Everybody complained about his lack of production but he just found ways to win.

Johnson's performance in the 49ers game is kind of overstated. The 49ers just didn't mentally show up for the game. They had something like 25 penalties that day. And eventually they did wake up and almost came back to win it.

22 penalties..and don't say it's just because the 49ers didn't mentally show up that day. I've had seasons for 14 years and that day was the loudest I've seen that stadium on a consistent basis in that time. Their LT was frazzled because it was his first start, he was facing BRUCE, and he couldn't hear the snap count. We even had Steve Young so frazzled that he lined up behind the G at first on one play

I thought that sack came against a banged up Hicks, not Fina.

I thought that sack came against a banged up Hicks, not Fina.

possible...but Fina started the game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...00001080oti.htm

As I recall though, Fina went out in that game and they moved Dusty Zeigler over to LT and brought Jamie Nails in off the bench to play RG

possible...but Fina started the game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...00001080oti.htm

As I recall though, Fina went out in that game and they moved Dusty Zeigler over to LT and brought Jamie Nails in off the bench to play RG

That's my recollection. Fina played for the first two series, and Kearse had a field day that put Buffalo in an early hole. Ziegler did admirable as LT for the rest of the game.

Where do they find you people? Rob Johnson was the worst quarterback ever to play in the NFL. If you remember it was Flutie who came in and turned around the Bills '98 season after Johnson screwed it up showing his ineptitude as a quarterback. Flutie came in and instantly made everyone around him better and carried the team to the playoffs. Then he did the same thing the following season until they put Johnson in in the playoffs. That game never would have come down to a music city miracle if Flutie had started over Johnson IMO because Johnson routinely missed receivers on third downs, stalling drives and doing what he did best, get sacked! Starting Johnson over Flutie that game and running Flutie out of town was the WORST WORST WORST thing this franchise has ever done and listening to all you RJ homers is making me sick! :ph34r:

Go eat what is left of your Flutie flakes and be happy. Flutie was the proverbal team recker that year. This is why he was run out of town.

That's my recollection. Fina played for the first two series, and Kearse had a field day that put Buffalo in an early hole. Ziegler did admirable as LT for the rest of the game.

They both started the game, but my dim recollection is that Kearse (a LDE, not a RDE) got the sack against the RT (Hicks) on that play, not the LT. They were both hobbled - Hicks had been suffering from a high ankle sprain most of the year, and he was a stiff player anyway.

22 penalties..and don't say it's just because the 49ers didn't mentally show up that day. I've had seasons for 14 years and that day was the loudest I've seen that stadium on a consistent basis in that time. Their LT was frazzled because it was his first start, he was facing BRUCE, and he couldn't hear the snap count. We even had Steve Young so frazzled that he lined up behind the G at first on one play

The points you make are fair, but my recollection is there were several pass interference penalties on SF early in the game. These types of penalties wouldn't have much to do with crowd noise (other than to increase it afterwords). I readily admit that I am going solely on memory here, because complete historical boxscores and game reports are hard to find. And whether it was 25 or 22 is not exactly turning my argument on it's ear.

Meanwhile, the Pats are getting punked, and I'm sure we agree that's a good thing.

The points you make are fair, but my recollection is there were several pass interference penalties on SF early in the game. These types of penalties wouldn't have much to do with crowd noise (other than to increase it afterwords). I readily admit that I am going solely on memory here, because complete historical boxscores and game reports are hard to find. And whether it was 25 or 22 is not exactly turning my argument on it's ear.

Meanwhile, the Pats are getting punked, and I'm sure we agree that's a good thing.

Yeah...there were a bunch of pass interference penalties...on both sides, though. He's retired now and I can't recall the name, but the referee for that game was known as someone who generally threw a lot of flags...we had 12 penalties ourselves. Luckily, that was back when our fans were smart enough to shut up when the offense was on the field so getting false starts at home were rare. They got a lot of false start penalties, though...maybe 4 by their LT on his own

10 - 5. Man, whoever the QB is next year, I hope he sucks on ice.

Defense had something to do with that.

Being ranked #1 in the league...the fact that Flutie played awful that year...the defense was easily the biggest reason for the 10-5 record