Thought On Bills/Cowher Meeting

Do you think they may have met with him before naming Nix as GM to see if Cowher would be ok with the hire?

Not exactly - I think they met with Shanahan and Cowher to ask generally what steps the organization would need to take in order to be able to hire top-tier coaches like them. I'm guessing they asked questions like, What do we need to do to put ourselves in position to hire someone like you? And the responses probably included, Hire a personnel evaluator to run the show, and, Show me a stable succession plan re: ownership. And that seems to be what the Bills are working on. Too little too late, I might add.

Do you think they may have met with him before naming Nix as GM to see if Cowher would be ok with the hire?

I think it's quite likely. I don't think they waste much time with formalities in a "stealth" meeting like that. It would be beneficial for both sides to be frank about where they stand. It has already been reported that one of Cowher's prerequisites was an ownership succession plan, and that such a plan is now in place. I don't see why Ralph would not also discuss GM candidates and get Cowher's thoughts on the matter too.

I think the Bills absolutely discussed the possible Nix hire with Cowher to gauge his (Cowher's) temperature of the move. Cowher and Nix were both employed by the Cleveland Browns in the mid 80's when Schottenhiemer was the coach. Both Cowher and Nix still have solid relationship's with Marty. Asking the question to Cowher "would you work with Nix or even Modrak????" I definitely believe has happened.

Yes. I see Nix as more of the head of the scouting/pro personnel departments, less of the

overall team GM. I could easily see Cowher stepping in as the HC with final say in all player

decisions with Nix assessing the talent.