a completely speculative theory about Nix and AJ Smith

Smith said that his last few months with the Chargers were rough, but that before then the situation was good. What happened in those last few months (in 2008)? Ted Cottrell (a true AJ guy) was ultimately forced out after the defense played poorly and then Ron Rivera was promoted.

Now Rivera is being discussed as the Bills next coach.

Just a theory.

EDIT: Whoops - he left after the 08 draft and wasn't around for the shift from Cottrell to Rivera as DC. Since he said the last 6 months were bad, I suspect it had something to do with Marty's firing in 07.

Smith said that his last few months with the Chargers were rough, but that before then the situation was good. What happened in those last few months (in 2008)? Ted Cottrell (a true AJ guy) was ultimately forced out after the defense played poorly and then Ron Rivera was promoted.

Now Rivera is being discussed as the Bills next coach.

Just a theory.

EDIT: Whoops - he left after the 08 draft and wasn't around for the shift from Cottrell to Rivera as DC. Since he said the last 6 months were bad, I suspect it had something to do with Marty's firing in 07.

If Nix thinks Ted Cottrell is a good coach, then the Bills will be in deep trouble when he applies that skill set to the new Bills HC.

If Nix thinks Ted Cottrell is a good coach, then the Bills will be in deep trouble when he applies that skill set to the new Bills HC.

Cottell WAS a good coach, in his Buffalo Tenure. Top ranked defenses consistantly.

I think your off base here. I think the problem is working for the Spanos clan in SD.

Look who SD has as their director of college scouting. A Spanos punk who was promoted

after serving 2 yrs as a scout. Nix had to work for the snotty nosed Spanos boy who had

family pull some strings. Ever stop to think that maybe AJ Smith liked having Nix around?

Nix probably wants a strong defensive minded coach and Rivera is just that. He can run the

4-3 as well as the 3-4, he is well connected around the league, and I think he would be a good

fit in Buffalo.

Cottell WAS a good coach, in his Buffalo Tenure. Top ranked defenses consistantly.

He may have been a good LBs coach under Wade

anything past that was way past his capabilities

fired from 4 teams as a DC is not a resume to build on.

but past success in some lower capacity seems to be the criteria for hiring in Buffalo