Funniest/Worst/Most Controversial Call You've Ever Seen

Brand J

Any sport. I'll start -

FUNNIEST:

It was the 98-99 season and the Philadelphia Eagles were a terrible team (season before McNabb). I kid you not and I remember it to this day - the Eagles were about to run a play, but the referee blew his whistle, threw his flag, and came running out to announce the call:

"False start, on the offense. The ENTIRE offensive line. 5 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down"

Hilarious! How does an entire offensive line false start?!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just give it to them"

I've never been able to find a replay of this game or incident anywhere. I recall this was a pretty good game and I think was Fluties first loss in Foxboro ever.

My vote goes however goes to Home Run throw forward.

Any sport. I'll start -

FUNNIEST:

It was the 98-99 season and the Philadelphia Eagles were a terrible team (season before McNabb). I kid you not and I remember it to this day - the Eagles were about to run a play, but the referee blew his whistle, threw his flag, and came running out to announce the call:

"False start, on the offense. The ENTIRE offensive line. 5 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down"

Hilarious! How does an entire offensive line false start?!

Easy,... Qb said on 1, and he meant on 2.

Gotta love the Pats* player getting knocked unconscious on the sidelines and fumbling the ball, but retaining possession because it was touching his lifeless, partially out of bounds body.

Oh, and while we're talking Pats*, might as well add the ridiculous Tuck Rule.

how about Colorado getting 5 downs to score the GW TD against Missouri back in the early 90s?

Agree that is the worst and most inexcusable call ever. How the hell do 7 refs miss the down count? And that call was made even worse when Colorado was subsequently annointed as National Champion despite that, another loss and a tie. And they were gifted the Orange bowl thanks to a cheap clipping call on Rocket Ismael's punt return TD.

Denkinger's World Series turning call is probably #2.

Gotta love the Pats* player getting knocked unconscious on the sidelines and fumbling the ball, but retaining possession because it was touching his lifeless, partially out of bounds body.

Oh, and while we're talking Pats*, might as well add the ridiculous Tuck Rule.

Wow, I remember that play. Ball was clearly inbounds, but touching a WR passed out on the sideline. Dead ball. BS call. Pats* get all the breaks and still complain!

My worst bad call: in the mid '80s, I used to get these betting tickets where you pick 3 games, you get 5-1 odds, 4 games, 10 to 1, 5 games, 20-1, etc. Anyway, I had picked all my games right with one left and was about to win $200; I only needed the Falcons to lose (I don't even remember who the other team was). The game had less than a minute left when Billy "White Shoes" Johnson catches a pass and dives toward the endzone and gets smashed at the goal line. No call. Then White Shoes extracts himself from the pile, hops up, and does the dance. Ref's arms go up. Replays later show White Shoes was WAY short of the goal line. This is about 25 years ago; no replay reviews. I'm out $200. And to this day, I want to kick Billy "White Shoes" Johnson in the cubes.