Bill Polian

buffalo_bills

Hey, it sounds dumb to ask, but i wasnt around to watch the bills in the 90's unfortunately. I know he was the GM in the glory days, but how did he get out of buffalo? Was he fired, or did he leave himself?

Called Wilson's daughter a !@#$. That didn't go over so well with Ralph.

/thread.

Called Wilson's daughter a !@#$. That didn't go over so well with Ralph.

/thread.

And I love how people blame Ralph for firing the guy. they would have had to pull me off him if he ever said that to my daughter, thoguh I don't doubt she was a huge pain (RIP).

For all the talk of Polian, AJ Smith is the guy we should have kept. He's drafted 2 top 5 QBs and for all the credit BP gets (and he is a HOFer), is that Colt team any better than the Bills without Manning?

And I love how people blame Ralph for firing the guy. they would have had to pull me off him if he ever said that to my daughter, thoguh I don't doubt she was a huge pain (RIP).

For all the talk of Polian, AJ Smith is the guy we should have kept. He's drafted 2 top 5 QBs and for all the credit BP gets (and he is a HOFer), is that Colt team any better than the Bills without Manning?

yep

I've got a lot of respect for Polian. He put together an expansion team in Carolina that went to the NFC Championship game in their second season. Also, when he selected Manning, all of the pre-draft hype was centered around Manning or Ryan Leaf. I think Polian may have made the right choice there.

yep

I guess you didn't watch yesterday's game. They looked very similar to the Bills when Manning was on the bench: suspect oline, struggle to run the ball, and couldn't get the ball to it's playmakers. Switch Peyton and our crapfest at QB, we are the playoff team and the Colts are the ones who are 5-9. It's that simple.

I've got a lot of respect for Polian. He put together an expansion team in Carolina that went to the NFC Championship game in their second season. Also, when he selected Manning, all of the pre-draft hype was centered around Manning or Ryan Leaf. I think Polian may have made the right choice there.

Don't get wrong. i have a lot of respect for Polian too. But he has been very smart about picking his spots. He has gotten the #1 overall pick twice and had a bunch of high picks with the Panthers.

Personally, i think AJ Smith is the best in the business but his ego gets involved. The guy picked 2 of the best QBs in the NFL and constantly makes great trades (the Rivers deal).

who were the 2 Top 5 QBs?

**** happens in a high-stress work environment. I doubt that the worst thing uttered by someone in the Inner Circle ( :thumbsup: )

I guess you didn't watch yesterday's game. They looked very similar to the Bills when Manning was on the bench: suspect oline, struggle to run the ball, and couldn't get the ball to it's playmakers. Switch Peyton and our crapfest at QB, we are the playoff team and the Colts are the ones who are 5-9. It's that simple.

They kind of built that team around Manning, so, yes - the Colts didn't look good without him.

who were the 2 Top 5 QBs?

**** happens in a high-stress work environment. I doubt that the worst thing uttered by someone in the Inner Circle ( :thumbsup: )

Rivers and Brees. And I get that stress happens, but insulting a family member (much less his little girl) is over the line. And if we kept AJ Smith, no one is still stressing Polian 15 years after the fact.

Rivers and Brees. And I get that stress happens, but insulting a family member (much less his little girl) is over the line. And if we kept AJ Smith, no one is still stressing Polian 15 years after the fact.

Technically, I think that Butler was the GM when SD drafted Brees, and SD actually drafted Eli Manning :thumbsup:

Technically, I think that Butler was the GM when SD drafted Brees, and SD actually drafted Eli Manning :thumbsup:
Eli Manning, they guy who won a SB with the Giants?

I keep hearing that story about Polian calling Wilson's daughter a name, yet have never seen an actual quote from a named source about it.

During the time surrounding 91 SB in Minnesota, I heard a rumor about Polian's brother selling a playbook or something to that effect.

I tend to believe that Polian lost a power struggle in the front office and to save money Wilson fired him.

Did u miss the part about all the rest of the starters on the sidelines? Agreed Indy's backups are as bad as the Bills starters though.

You'd have to switch Peyton AND the Colts' offensive line in order to be close to the Bills. Peyton wouldn't be as great with our line protecting him.

I'll agree with that statement.

To bad so many on this board think that Payton Manning or other great QBs can do it without a decent O line.

I'll agree with that statement.

To bad so many on this board think that Payton Manning or other great QBs can do it without a decent O line.

I would hazard a guess that if you put an electric fence in front of Fitzy he would still have trouble making throws. Manning would be good with any line in front of him. I am sure that this will get twisted to the extreme, so let me clarify, any line in the NFL...so an OL that consists of 5 Gary Coleman clones does now count in this example.

Rodgers is good with a line that is suspect, as is, I hate to say this, Ben. Guys that know how to escape danger, and make throws....and if there is nothing, throw it away. This is different than what we are seeing. I am struggling to really think of a good thrown this year, let alone a throw outside of the pocket. Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with the "roll up and take the sack" position that our QB's go into. When we have gone with a moving pocket, we have had at least a little success...now, it the QB would realize that when the ship is sinking, you have to swim.

I do not, by any means, think that our line is ready for prime time, nor do I discount the importance of an OL. I am just stating that a QB like Peyton is good...period. Good QBs make their lines look better, and vice versa, but to say that Peyton wouldn't be a good QB without a line is, in my opinion, incorrect.

I sincerely hope that we can AVP. I like Pitt, I respect all of AVP's time with the organization, but let's call a spade a spade. I am not fine with him being returned to QB's coach either, we are obviously far behind the curve in QB development. AVP, gentleman, nice guy, not cut-out for the NFL.

So what? You don't fire the best GM of our time because your daughter had no business being involved with an NFL team esp as a scout. She got called a !@#$ because she acted like one. Business is Business.