Tonawanda Coke

MarkyMannn

From everything I've read in the past, there have been issues related to their pollution, proven or unproven.

Any way, like a week ago the Feds raid their offices for documents, now they bust the environmental manager. I've know this guy off and on for like 15 years, what can he realisitcally expect under the law. He always seemed upright, but you never know either. I know TC's owner was determined to do his own thing. If I was Mark K, I would be ratting out everyone and everything to save my own hide. Still, this guy had a mission to follow hese standards for both the company and society too.

The bust #1

The bust#2

I know the environmental manager where I work is OBSESSED with being within the law. Guess you need to be.

Any and all comments appreciated

I worked at that place for a day and a half. They start you at $16.00 an hour! :thumbsup:

Many, many ways to die, either quickly (electrocution, falls from great heights, etc.) or slowly (benzene, ammonia, coal dust). It took several days for me to stop tasting the stuff I inhaled there.

From everything I've read in the past, there have been issues related to their pollution, proven or unproven.

Any way, like a week ago the Feds raid their offices for documents, now they bust the environmental manager. I've know this guy off and on for like 15 years, what can he realisitcally expect under the law. He always seemed upright, but you never know either. I know TC's owner was determined to do his own thing. If I was Mark K, I would be ratting out everyone and everything to save my own hide. Still, this guy had a mission to follow hese standards for both the company and society too.

The bust #1

The bust#2

I know the environmental manager where I work is OBSESSED with being within the law. Guess you need to be.

Any and all comments appreciated

I'm surprised they didn't market those coal tar distillates. That's black gold to the pharmaceutical and OTC industries that deal with helping folks with horrific skin diseases. This outfit is a crummy bunch, for sure. They have been all over the legit enviro news clipping services for some time.

Analytical results from the previous investigation indicate the presence of widespread

contamination on the site and the necessity of an expanded Remedial Investigation/Feasibility

Study. Additional Investigative work was completed in 2005 to clear up discrepencies in the

data. A report describing the addtional investigation work, the results and the conclusion was

submitted in April 2006 and a revised report was submitted in January 2008.

A PRAP was completed for the OU 1 and 2 and the proposed remedy is No Action with the

imposition of an Institution/Engineering control. OU 3 along with the river sediments will be

deferred for further investigation and evaluation for an appropriate remedial action. A public

meeting was held on March 18, 2008. The ROD was signed on March 31, 2008.

I am involved with the Clean Air Coalition that helped bring a lot of this to light. There is much more to come regarding JD Crane and Tonawanda Coke. Stay tuned.

Crane appears to be both arrogant and ignorant, a bad combination. How long did he expect to be able to just blow off everything related to their pollution with no accountability?

Where was the NYSDEC in all of this.

The DEC was a part of the raid. They conducted a year long air quality study and determined that Tonawanda COke was the major source of high benzene levels in the area. They are also responsible for writing TC's Title V permit - which has been up for renewal.

Officials from the EPA, U.S. Coast Guard, state Environmental Conservation Department and the state attorney general's office took part in the raid.

What took them so long to get access to the site. Somebody dropped the ball here.

I am involved with the Clean Air Coalition that helped bring a lot of this to light. There is much more to come regarding JD Crane and Tonawanda Coke. Stay tuned.

Then you should go to China, they need you there. That is where (and other places) all industry will end up anyway. You would have a field day there.

Don't get me wrong, I find nothing better than protecting the environment... But at what cost? Can't protection be done where as not to drive industry away and towards a place where TOTAL disrespect for the environment is achieved (China and other places). Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease... We all live on the same planet.

I don't now anything about this story or have read about it... So I will reserve final judgement.

IMO, we shouldn't let the whacky greenies and enviro-hysteria take over. I still believe common sense and can prevail between the economy and the environment.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about something else... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I know what you mean but I thought it was about a coke bottling plant. :D

Then you should go to China, they need you there. That is where (and other places) all industry will end up anyway. You would have a field day there.

Don't get me wrong, I find nothing better than protecting the environment... But at what cost? Can't protection be done where as not to drive industry away and towards a place where TOTAL disrespect for the environment is achieved (China and other places). Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease... We all live on the same planet.

I don't now anything about this story or have read about it... So I will reserve final judgement.

IMO, we shouldn't let the whacky greenies and enviro-hysteria take over. I still believe common sense and can prevail between the economy and the environment.

Just my 2 cents.

You're right. Kids with cancer is a reasonable cost to keep industry here.

While the charges against Kamholz do not all tie directly to emissions of benzene into the air, Heaney said, she believes they speak to the integrity of the company. Officials there had contended that the spike in benzene emissions was caused by cars in the area, not the plant.

“This makes those claims even less credible,” Heaney said.

Increased auto's in the area.??!! I bet a lot of people bought that line of BS too! :thumbsup:

<_< I know what you mean but I thought it was about a coke bottling plant. <_<

You're right. Kids with cancer is a reasonable cost to keep industry here.

Nice use of environmental hysteria.

That is not what I am saying... What I am saying is there should be a happy medium.

So we are all safe from cancer... But we are dieing because nobody has a job and can afford medical treatment when they become ill from other things.

What I am saying is that we should protect the enviroment EVERYwhere... Not just NIMBY. That includes not allowing goods and services that come from areas that don't meet the same requirements environmentally.

Environment is a universal word.

Right now there is a glaring loophole where protecting the environment means that you will be on the short end of the stick economically or at a disadvantage. And that shouldn't be.

Nice use of environmental hysteria.

That is not what I am saying... What I am saying is there should be a happy medium.

So we are all safe from cancer... But we are dieing because nobody has a job and can afford medical treatment when they become ill from other things.

What I am saying is that we should protect the enviroment EVERYwhere... Not just NIMBY. That includes not allowing goods and services that come from areas that don't meet the same requirements environmentally.

Environment is a universal word.

Right now there is a glaring loophole where protecting the environment means that you will be on the short end of the stick economically or at a disadvantage. And that shouldn't be.

This is not the case where you should be fighting this fight.

This is not the case where you should be fighting this fight.

I don't now much about the case. Yet, you are wrong... The "fight" that you see me as fighting should be fought... It implicates everyone. My brother used to drive for Tonawanda Coke... I never heard anything bad.

Yet... It may be enviro-hysteria as Steely put it:

"...Kids with cancer."

WTF is that supposed to mean? What about adults with cancer? Why just "kids"... Because it, IMO, that kind of wording tugs on the old heart strings.

Enviros would have a fit if they actually knew how much benzene moved around.

Still the argument can be made that if WE enforce the enviro regs strongly, why the hell do we import from countries that don't meet OR EXCEED our standards... In fact the exact opposite happens... All we do is chase the company to some other part of the world where they cause MORE enviro damage... Is that helping the planet?

And the original poster did say that they were open to all comments.