Blow up the organizatioin....yes or no?

OnTheRocks

I don't know who wrote the article on the front page of TBD - titled "Blow Up This Roster" - but that is close to my sentiments.

I like so little about this roster and organization right now.

What I barely like:

RB - Jackson & Lynch. These two are similar to one another - and I am ok with them both returning. And if Lynch were traded tomorrow, for a 2nd rounder...I would be ok with it. He is one bone headed offseason move away from a year long suspension.

TE - I like Nelson a lot and I can see him developing into a top 10 NFL TE. Maybe not quite a Jason Witten or Antonio Gates - but certainly equal with a Chris Cooley - type TE.

OL - The middle parts of this unit are young, solid and developing...but both Tackle positions need a major upgrade.

What I don't like at all:

The front office is really what needs to be blown up and and erased from the history of the Buffalo Bills.

I would fire the whole lot of them. Coaches, and scouts and the ball boy and the guy that turns the lights on and off. I think there are a couple of good coaches...but no one that can't be replaced.

QB - I will admit, I wanted to give Edwards a shot to prove himself this year, but he failed miserably - and it is time to cut him loose. I would be ok with keeping Fitzy as a backup - but they MUST get a QB that can lead this team.

WR - I don't like any of them. I have really soured on Lee Evans. Maybe with a quality QB he would play better, but in my opinion, he quit playing midway through last season. Reed - although that drop yesterday was a killer - I still think he is a perfect #3 slot guy...but again, he hasn't shown anything that makes me think he shouldn't be replaced. I think TO is a great player...but not this year and not likely ever with this organization...and there is no way he will be back next year.

DB - Major problem letting Greer go last season, and the injury to Leodis leaves the CB position tough to grade. At Safety Byrd is the only one I like. I like Scott as solid back up...but he is starting AT LB!. Whitner on defense = Evans on Offencs in my opinion.

DL: I like Kyle Williams as an ok #2 DT...but Stroud, Schobel and the other clowns all clocked out a month ago.

Take 'em or leave em:

ST: Lindell and Moorman are ok....but the rest of this group has cose the Bills too many games over the past couple of years.

LB - I am on the fence on POZ. Sometimes I think he is ok...other games he is overmatched from top to bottom. The rest of them are all Free Agent material.

The team needs a quarterback who will lead them.

They also need OLine depth and a starting LT.

And assuming they don't switch to a 3-4, they need a terrifying SOLB.

With these changes, the rest of the roster is set.

A shiny new DT would be a luxury, Stroud and Williams are good enough and the DE's are far from the problem. IMO, there is very little need on defense outside of LB.

The offense is the problem.

The team needs a quarterback who will lead them.

They also need OLine depth and a starting LT.

And assuming they don't switch to a 3-4, they need a terrifying SOLB.

With these changes, the rest of the roster is set.

A shiny new DT would be a luxury, Stroud and Williams are good enough and the DE's are far from the problem. IMO, there is very little need on defense outside of LB.

The offense is the problem.

I very much agree. As I see it, the absolute worst thing that could happen is they bring someone in that blows up the entire roster just for the sake of making moves. This team has alot more talent than most give them credit for. IMO:

First and foremost, bring in a new coaching staff that knows how to properly develop and implement game plans especially for teams within our division, that knows how to motivate players, and that knows how toughen up the players.

BTW, a new GM and scouting statff should be givens.

Second, find a damn QB! We're currently don't have anyone at the single most important position in the game.

Otherwise, we have decent talent all over the roster; if they can stay healthy. Yes, Oline help is needed - but we don't need 5 new guys. Yes, we need help on the Dline, but we don't need 4 new guys. Yes, we need help at LB, but we don't need 3 new ones.

So, shore up the line with a top LT pick. Bring in a solid LB either through FA or draft. And shore up the DLine. Do that, with a good coaching staff, and this team is much improved and competing within the division.

The wrong thing to do is to start by creating holes on the roster. The FO needs to get the "live with who you got until you can upgrade the position" message pounded into their skulls with a ball-peen hammer. Creating holes just means you are placing your team squarely in the rut of drafting strictly for need and other teams can paint you into a corner in the draft. It hasn't worked yet.

I very much agree. As I see it, the absolute worst thing that could happen is they bring someone in that blows up the entire roster just for the sake of making moves. This team has alot more talent than most give them credit for. IMO:

First and foremost, bring in a new coaching staff that knows how to properly develop and implement game plans especially for teams within our division, that knows how to motivate players, and that knows how toughen up the players.

BTW, a new GM and scouting statff should be givens.

Second, find a damn QB! We're currently don't have anyone at the single most important position in the game.

Otherwise, we have decent talent all over the roster; if they can stay healthy. Yes, Oline help is needed - but we don't need 5 new guys. Yes, we need help on the Dline, but we don't need 4 new guys. Yes, we need help at LB, but we don't need 3 new ones.

So, shore up the line with a top LT pick. Bring in a solid LB either through FA or draft. And shore up the DLine. Do that, with a good coaching staff, and this team is much improved and competing within the division.

We will definitely need to. But sadly, looking at Sanchize's recent struggles with NYJ, and Flacco's sophmore slump (notwithstanding his big game against the Bears last night), and disappointments (busts?) like Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, finding a durable, consistent franchise QB who can make an immediate impact will be a challenge.

Here's a thought:

If they do in fact blow up the pro-player personel and college scouting departments, are we behind heading into the 2010 offseason?

IF we get guys from other teams, would they have been scouting for their previous team's needs?

If we get guys not already scouting, were they scouting of their own volition?

Or is everyone (our current guys and the like) looking at the same crop of players, in spite of the needs of their respective organizations?

I don't know who wrote the article on the front page of TBD - titled "Blow Up This Roster" - but that is close to my sentiments.

I like so little about this roster and organization right now.

What I barely like:

RB - Jackson & Lynch. These two are similar to one another - and I am ok with them both returning. And if Lynch were traded tomorrow, for a 2nd rounder...I would be ok with it. He is one bone headed offseason move away from a year long suspension.

TE - I like Nelson a lot and I can see him developing into a top 10 NFL TE. Maybe not quite a Jason Witten or Antonio Gates - but certainly equal with a Chris Cooley - type TE.

OL - The middle parts of this unit are young, solid and developing...but both Tackle positions need a major upgrade.

What I don't like at all:

The front office is really what needs to be blown up and and erased from the history of the Buffalo Bills.

I would fire the whole lot of them. Coaches, and scouts and the ball boy and the guy that turns the lights on and off. I think there are a couple of good coaches...but no one that can't be replaced.

QB - I will admit, I wanted to give Edwards a shot to prove himself this year, but he failed miserably - and it is time to cut him loose. I would be ok with keeping Fitzy as a backup - but they MUST get a QB that can lead this team.

WR - I don't like any of them. I have really soured on Lee Evans. Maybe with a quality QB he would play better, but in my opinion, he quit playing midway through last season. Reed - although that drop yesterday was a killer - I still think he is a perfect #3 slot guy...but again, he hasn't shown anything that makes me think he shouldn't be replaced. I think TO is a great player...but not this year and not likely ever with this organization...and there is no way he will be back next year.

DB - Major problem letting Greer go last season, and the injury to Leodis leaves the CB position tough to grade. At Safety Byrd is the only one I like. I like Scott as solid back up...but he is starting AT LB!. Whitner on defense = Evans on Offencs in my opinion.

DL: I like Kyle Williams as an ok #2 DT...but Stroud, Schobel and the other clowns all clocked out a month ago.

Take 'em or leave em:

ST: Lindell and Moorman are ok....but the rest of this group has cose the Bills too many games over the past couple of years.

LB - I am on the fence on POZ. Sometimes I think he is ok...other games he is overmatched from top to bottom. The rest of them are all Free Agent material.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Lee Evans. I felt that another big receiver would compliment him and allow him to make the big plays we were accustomed to, when we had a QB that could sling the rock 50yds. We have two QBs that couldn't get the ball downfied,and when they did, on a rare occasion, a lot of balls had to go TO's way. He is the outspoken superstar.

I feel that at the end of yesterdays game, we go a little bigger sample of what Lee is capable of doing. He goes after the ball and makes great catches. He makes plays. You need to throw the ball towards him...in his general vicinity, and he will make a play. Fitzy didn't throw on good pass to him yesterday, and he was going after it. I don't think he is getting enough looks. Sadly enough the Harvard man, and the Stanford man couldn't figure out what the Tulane man figured out....throw the ball to Lee. If he was on the Colts or Saints, it would be game over.

I was about to call fan services and report AVP and Fitzy for ruining my fan experience. A QB worth a damn on this roster with a real NFL OC, and we are in the AFC Playoff hunt. I know that will be blasted and we can blame Whitner, Poz, Lynch, but let's be honest those guys at least have talent, and with some more talent around them, you may see some synergism. I am not interested in getting rid of our proven talent, only to see them be perennial Pro-Bowlers in another city.

I think we should draft a big defender, best front 7 guy around in the 1st round, then grab OT in 2nd. Our OL blows, no secret, but our front 4 on defense are embarrassment. Kelsay/Denney, Schobel, Stroud and Williams....KW is the only one I would miss.

We will definitely need to. But sadly, looking at Sanchize's recent struggles with NYJ, and Flacco's sophmore slump (notwithstanding his big game against the Bears last night), and disappointments (busts?) like Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, finding a durable, consistent franchise QB who can make an immediate impact will be a challenge.

The single hardest thing to do in the NFL.

It is such a roll of the dice every single time.

Think about how teams had to spend time considering between Manning and Leaf.

And Bledsoe and Mier. I wouldn't want the pressure of making the decision of choosing a QB in the first round.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Lee Evans. I felt that another big receiver would compliment him and allow him to make the big plays we were accustomed to, when we had a QB that could sling the rock 50yds. We have two QBs that couldn't get the ball downfied,and when they did, on a rare occasion, a lot of balls had to go TO's way. He is the outspoken superstar.

I feel that at the end of yesterdays game, we go a little bigger sample of what Lee is capable of doing. He goes after the ball and makes great catches. He makes plays. You need to throw the ball towards him...in his general vicinity, and he will make a play. Fitzy didn't throw on good pass to him yesterday, and he was going after it. I don't think he is getting enough looks. Sadly enough the Harvard man, and the Stanford man couldn't figure out what the Tulane man figured out....throw the ball to Lee. If he was on the Colts or Saints, it would be game over.

I was about to call fan services and report AVP and Fitzy for ruining my fan experience. A QB worth a damn on this roster with a real NFL OC, and we are in the AFC Playoff hunt. I know that will be blasted and we can blame Whitner, Poz, Lynch, but let's be honest those guys at least have talent, and with some more talent around them, you may see some synergism. I am not interested in getting rid of our proven talent, only to see them be perennial Pro-Bowlers in another city.

I think we should draft a big defender, best front 7 guy around in the 1st round, then grab OT in 2nd. Our OL blows, no secret, but our front 4 on defense are embarrassment. Kelsay/Denney, Schobel, Stroud and Williams....KW is the only one I would miss.

I admit I have overstated my displeasure with this organization.

However there are a TON of problems with this front office and roster - and as a long time fan for more than 35 years...I am sick of watching a poor product.

It wasn't my intent that the entire team should be replaced - nor the spots that need to be upgraded be changed all at one time.

The single hardest thing to do in the NFL.

It is such a roll of the dice every single time.

Think about how teams had to spend time considering between Manning and Leaf.

And Bledsoe and Mier. I wouldn't want the pressure of making the decision of choosing a QB in the first round.

Good point. We may have to get a free agent QB to cover the position for a year or two. Kerry Collins will probably be available, or someone else who is an average QB. The offensive line and defensive front seven MUST be the priority in the draft and free agent market.

Some of our young guys on the OL may be great in another year or two, but even if we have to carry nine guys, that O-line needs to be strengthened.

On defense, we really need to switch to a 3-4, and get bigger in the middle and at linebacker. I don't know if Maybin can be a factor, but the QBs in our division will continue to eat our lunch if we do not get some real pass rushers.

Still, I believe we have such an anemic offensive strategy, that a better coaching staff might actually have our present roster much more competitive than they have looked. Enough with the rookie offensive coordinators and cast off head coaches. They would may the pro bowl team look bad.

On defense, we really need to switch to a 3-4, and get bigger in the middle and at linebacker. I don't know if Maybin can be a factor, but the QBs in our division will continue to eat our lunch if we do not get some real pass rushers.

Why?

1. There's no evidence to suggest the 3-4's of the league are any more succesful when it comes to winning.
  2. QB's continue to "eat our lunch?" Are you kidding me? We OWNED the QB's of our division this year, due in some measure to our pass rash.