Bills likely to end KC's 19-year sellout streak

Tortured Soul

So, after the Chiefs get blown out in SD and then sell out their very next game at home, the fans didn't yet realize (at 3-8, headed to 3-9) that their beloved Chiefs sucked?

What you're suggesting is....it suddenly dawned on them, headed into the Bills game, that the Chiefs (2-14 last year, 4-12 2007---all sellouts), have sucked for a long time?? It's just a coincindence that the Bills are coming to town when they had their epiphany?

I'm suggesting that the Chiefs fans are fed up watching their CRAPPY team. It would not matter how good or how bad the Bills are, they do not want to Watch the Chiefs in DECEMBER when the weather is not so nice. Yes it is just a coincidence the Bills are playing them in December. If the Billls played them in September the game would have sold out. The article even attributed the Chiefs poor record as the reason the game may not sell out. It made no mention of the Bills other than they would be the team the Chiefs were playing. More like loss after loss when they already made changes LAST offseason being the straw that broke the Camels back than an epiphany.

And that is something that I find so interesting about the NFL.

Since, as an organization (or collective of owners posing as an organization), they have proven themselves to be nothing if not worshippers of the almighty dollar, why the NFL tolerates losing franchises of multiple years.

For instance, the KC ticket issue is something, but how about our attempts to stretch to Toronto? Its painfully obvious that a substandard/ mediocre product does not sell tickets anywhere, outside of Buffalo.

I wonder why the NFL does not issue "closed door" ultimatums to losing franchises and their respective owners demanding fielding a more competitive product or risk some sort of colossal penalty (financial, draft, or otherwise). The effects of horrible teams, especially for a decade or longer, do more damage to the image of the NFL than a legion of players that resemble the Predator.

The Bills sure could use some pressure...

Every year, the average team in the NFL will go 8-8. Some teams will win more than eight games, which forces other teams into the position of soaking up a lot of losses. There's literally nothing the NFL can possibly do to increase the average winning percentage of teams.

Your point, however, was about teams that are chronic losers of games. I gather that if a team went 4-12 for a couple times, you'd be okay with it, but if they had records along those lines for a more protracted length of time, you'd want them punished in some way.

To a degree, the NFL does this already in the form of a salary floor: a minimum amount each team is required to spend on its players. If your plan is to save money by cutting corners on players, at least there's a limit to how much money you can save! But maybe the NFL could go further in that direction by raising the salary floor (while lowering the salary cap); thus further reducing the financial incentive to go the cheap players/lousy team route. But if an owner is willing to open his pocketbook, and gets stuck with a lousy team anyway, what can you really do to punish the guy? In a case like that, the lousy team is likely the result of the owner's incompetence (at selecting a GM, for example). I don't really see how the threat of punishment could cause owners to develop a better knack for selecting good GMs.

+234,976.3333333

Thank you.

I have said it before. Ralph is from the depression era...that means a lot about how he is going to spend his money. He is a successful business man. You don't become a successful businessman by just spending the top dollar on everything. I am sure there is a great argument against that, or should I say an exception to the rule.

He has picked up what he thought was a "deal" as of late, without blowing the whole dough-ball. I believe what he said when he got his ring. I sincerely feel he is as frustrated as we are. Successful business owners are not satisfied with incompetence. Ralph does want a Super Bowl.

Ralph IS THE REASON THERE IS A FOOTBALL TEAM HERE. I know many posters like to believe it is their god-given right, but he started the team and kept them here. Does that mean he hasn't made mistakes? He is not a poster on TBD, he is just a mere mortal, and has made poor choices. We can't all be perfect.

In relation to the big conspiracy...if you are on TBD, you obviously follow the Bills pretty closely, and would fall under the umbrella of "idiots" that continues to support this team. Good news is, when we turn it around, you will not confuse us with the fair-weather Patriots fans. What we have gone through for the last ten (or 50) years, will only make it feel that much better when we win the big one.

Not to burst your bubble, but when Ralph bought the franchise, Buffalo is not where he wanted to put the team. It is what he had to settle for.

Do you honestly believe the Bills want to lose? Do you think Ralph hired TD, one of the most respected GMs on the market, and gave him full control to lose?

I'm so sick of Ralph doesn't want to win. We haven't been winners but it's more that Ralph has trusted the wrong guy, got burned, and then decided to trust people he respected. The results obviously have been terrible but I think it's complete Bs to say Ralph doesn't care about winning. At this point, he simply is struggling to figure out how.

I THINK YOUR RIGHT. RALPH WANTS TO WIN BUT DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO. UNFORTUNATELY FOR US FANS HE SEEMS SENILE. AFTER 50 YEARS OF LOSING EVERY YEAR, I THINK THAT CONSTITUTES A HABIT THATS HARD TO BREAK.

Not to burst your bubble, but when Ralph bought the franchise, Buffalo is not where he wanted to put the team. It is what he had to settle for.

I'm not as concerned with the first choice as I am the last choice.

Well, and therein lies my point.

How the Bills continue to sell out, despite their losing ways this past decade, is beyond me. I think that it has more to do with the small market- minded nature of the fan base, who have been too scared of losing the Bills for too long now that mediocrity is accepted, as long as their is a team to root for. There exists some sort of imagined threat of moving that scares most into continuing to subscribe to losers.

Defies logic.

Obviously, in cities outside of WNY and southern Ontario, a terrible football team means empty seats. Empty seats, means blackouts. Blackouts mean less local exposure. In other words, less exposure means less money for advertising, etc.

No one outside of Buffalo pays for a losing franchise like this one.

The league should care because to have all teams be competitive (hence free agency, salary cap, etc- all geared for greater parity and competitiveness- thus more $$) spells an increase in the bottom line. Creating a rabid fan base with rabid competition amongst teams is a huge money maker.

Tolerating mediocrity hurts that premise.

I am convinced the tailgate is half the experience for Bills fans. the tickets are very cheap. Its a cheap day . Raise the ticket prices to the NFL average and see how many fans show up. they are there for the party, the game tkt is cheap enough... their the only game in town... what else is there to do..? you can only go to the Frank Lloyd Wright house so many times...

I am convinced the tailgate is half the experience for Bills fans. the tickets are very cheap. Its a cheap day . Raise the ticket prices to the NFL average and see how many fans show up. they are there for the party, the game tkt is cheap enough... their the only game in town... what else is there to do..? you can only go to the Frank Lloyd Wright house so many times...

Outside of NYC, Chicago & maybe one or two more cities, there is as much to do in Buffalo as anywhere else. Tickets may be a little cheaper, but I would bet they could raise the price & fans would still go, & yes the tailgate is part of the experience, as it is in ANY good NFL City.

Tickets may be a little cheaper, but I would bet they could raise the price & fans would still go,

The average ticket price for the Bills this season is $51.24.

The average ticket price for the NFL this season is $72.20.

That's a 41% increase.

That's a pretty big jump for a blue collar town like Buffalo. But I suspect the hard core Bills fans would find a way.

I went to a Grateful dead concert at the rich once for the nitrous, but what does that prove? at some point there Has to to be a reason to bring you there beyond the party