What the hell has happened to our franchise?

buffalo mike

Actually it is the opposite. for over 4 years now we have been 'rebuilding'.  By now playoffs are in order.  No one should get 7 years as you suggest to turn around a franchise in this day and age.

And BTW...I really don't think anyone gives a stevestojan one way or the other if you respect them or not.

124131[/snapback]

Actually part of the reason our 'rebuilding plan' has gone so badly is John Butler's poor drafting in 2000. Everyone agrees that the two main needs on defense we have now is a lack of pass rush and a question mark at FS. Had Erik Flowers/Corey Moore and Travares Tillman lived up to their predraft billings and selections some of these question marks would be filled thusly making us a better team. Just imagine if we could replace the selection of Erik Flowers with Darren Howard. Howard would give us added pass rush and I'd imagine Tom Donahoe would have not traded up to get Ryan Denney allowing us to keep the 3rd and 4th we gave up for him. If so maybe we have Randy McMichael on this team.

I bring up the 2000 draft as they say it takes a good 3-4 years to show how well you did in a draft. Look no further then the Patriots, in that draft they landed Tom Brady and we all now how he's turned out to be.

Though we could even go so far as saying the drafting of Todd Collins in 1995 is another reason for our current struggles.

Guest Guest_dan_*

ya know what pisses me off is all this nonsense stevestojan about why we didn't take this player or that and the bottom line is this.... we have no offensive line. we haven't since the mid 90's. who gives a flying rats ass about getting a defensive end 4 years ago or a quaterback or any of that. our offensive line sucks ass and no matter who is out there they're gonna look like stevestojan. that in my opinion is the biggest problem here. everyone...from obd to the fans on this board are completely brainwashed and have forgotten the golden rule.... the game is won and lost in the trenches, and we haven't won stevestojan in the trenches in a damn long time.

ya know what pisses me off is all this nonsense stevestojan about why we didn't take this player or that and the bottom line is this.... we have no offensive line.  we haven't since the mid 90's. who gives a flying rats ass about getting a defensive end 4 years ago or a quaterback or any of that.  our offensive line sucks ass and no matter who is out there they're gonna look like stevestojan.  that in my opinion is the biggest problem here.  everyone...from obd to the fans on this board are completely brainwashed and have forgotten the golden rule.... the game is won and lost in the trenches,  and we haven't won stevestojan in the trenches in a damn long time.

124293[/snapback]

Excellent point except- Why does it take 7 years to develop the lines -which we still do not have?? The bottom line is TD is paid to bring this team back to contention, which he has not done. Not even close. Would your boss continue to pay you big bucks if you didn't do your job? We are still rebuilding year after year and are still 3-6!

The short answer is we have not had a decent GM since Bill Polian. And he got run out of town by Ralphie. Great teams start at the top. You gotta know how to shop for the groceries and what chef to hire. John Butler (R.I.P.) and Tom Donahoe simply aren't that good.

PTR

If you look at the Bills overall record and their playoff appearances since 1960, you will see that in their 45 seasons they have only made the post-season 17 times. During that span, they have gone through 15 coaches, of which maybe 3 were good. (Saban, Knox, Levy) Some will argue that Saban doesn't belong in that list and that Levy & Knox couldn't win the big one. We finally got a run going with Kelly & company, through the mid '90s. But, folks, that is the exception to the Bills' rule.

We should have been saying "What is wrong with the Buffalo Bills?" when we had a winning team. Status quo for this franchise is worse than .500. We have an overall season record of 316-345-8, not including playoffs. That averages out to about 7 wins a season. With that record, we have a profitable owner, a full, or nearly full stadium, and a real strong fan base. Always have. Always will.

If it looks like a Bill, and plays like a Bill... it will always be just another mediocre Bills season. Enjoy it while you can. We may even win 7 this season.