Kyle Williams: We are a ''stupid'' team

I wonder if the fourth Qtr collapses have anything to do with being out of shape? :death::( Dickie coddled the little tykes instead of toughening them up just a little, maybe. :death:<_<

I think this is a really good point. Year after year under DJ, the Bills led the league in players on the IR. And it's clear we wear down in the trenches as the games drag on - both signs that this team has been out of shape.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams should have said this when they moved Scott to LB....

Rex Ryan said we are built to stop the pass instead of stopping the run.....which in today's NFL is stupid.

Not having depth at the LB position is stupid.

Not being able to stop the Jets run game when they ran the same plays is stupid.

Not having an QB that can move the chains....way past stupid. Semi insane.

Not have a front office that knows talent.....stupid.

If that was true then the Bills would have a far better pass rush. That's step 1 to stopping the passing game. Teams that are built to stop the pass don't allow NE to score twice in the final 3:30 of the game.

If that was true then the Bills would have a far better pass rush. That's step 1 to stopping the passing game. Teams that are built to stop the pass don't allow NE to score twice in the final 3:30 of the game.

Yeah, what Ryan actually said is that we were built to RUSH THE PASSER.

This team does not have a group of pass rushers like the Giants had a couple years ago, but they have the athleticism to be all over the QB as a group. Virtually every team in the league relies on blitzing to get pressure nowadays, the Bills blitz packages are completely ineffective. That is Perry Fewell. Give Dick LeBeau, or even Ryan, and this D would be getting a lot of heat on QB's.

Don't even know why I am going here but......The McKelvin kick return was not a stupid play, fighting for extra yards was the stupid part. He needed to bring it out to get to the 2 minute warning and allow the Bills to run down the clock and use up all of NE's timeouts. He just should have gone down and protected the ball as soon as he got to the 20. It's just bothered me all along that everyone (especially the MNF guys) piled on that it was wrong to bring it out.

after he fumbled the first one, it was stupid to bring out the 2nd one.

even more stupid that our coaches let him on the field for the 2nd one to have the chance to be stupid on his own

after he fumbled the first one, it was stupid to bring out the 2nd one.

even more stupid that our coaches let him on the field for the 2nd one to have the chance to be stupid on his own

Even if he brings it out, the dumbest aspect of the play is fighting for an extra yard with 4 tacklers on your back. Get the hell down when it's obvious you aren't going to break it for 6. That is why he got stripped. It's NOT a regular KO return situation. I'm not even saying they would have definitely still won the game, but risking a fumble there was a bonehead(dumb) play. I hope Leodis bounces back and turns into the shutdown corner he needs to be to justify his early first round status, but anyone who thinks he didn't make an enormous mental error there is nothing more than a Leodis apologist.

Yes, they are stupid for not putting in the time and effort to make themselves better football players and a better team in the offseason. Here's to the Bills hiring a coach who demands hard work, smart play and accountability. It's embarrassing watching these guys struggle with the basics while the better teams are playing the game with such precision.

Even if he brings it out, the dumbest aspect of the play is fighting for an extra yard with 4 tacklers on your back. Get the hell down when it's obvious you aren't going to break it for 6. That is why he got stripped. It's NOT a regular KO return situation. I'm not even saying they would have definitely still won the game, but risking a fumble there was a bonehead(dumb) play. I hope Leodis bounces back and turns into the shutdown corner he needs to be to justify his early first round status, but anyone who thinks he didn't make an enormous mental error there is nothing more than a Leodis apologist.

Dick, according to your first post on this and our subsequent discussion (BTW you never responded to my reply), you state that "not putting in the time and effort to make themselves better football players" is the reason that McKelvin made a "bonehead play."

You talked about the "staggering amount of mental mistakes." You said that "Jauron was a joke, but the amateurish performance by these players has been inexcusable." I agree with that but you stated that the cause of these mistakes was the players not working hard enough.

Wouldn't you say that not trying to fight for extra yardage in that situation is something that McKelvin should know? I would know it. You would know it. Do you really think "putting in extra time and effort" on McKelvin's part would have changed the outcome?

Don't you think maybe it has more to do with this organization selecting players with low football IQ and/or bad coaching as I suggested?

Was McKelvin/Roscoe supposed to study game tape of these infrequent situations or fabricate some sort of unconventional kick/punt return drills by themselves in order to prevent these sorts of things from happening?

Your original statement asserting that it's simply a matter of the player working harder and giving greater effort is off the mark. These sorts of mistakes are not a function of a player working harder. They are a function of either stupid players, or bad coaching.

Stupid is not seeing you would need to fire your offensive coordinator earlier than 6 days before the regular season.

Stupid is trying to improve pass rush with a one season wonder who is a lightweight DE tweener.

Stupid is Marshawn Lynch. Get a limo driver.

Stupid is drafting another California quarterback.

Stupid is having a history of not drafting linemen, and drafting Mike Williams when you do.

Stupid is not using bump coverage for years.

Stupid is drafting players, then switching their positions.

Stupid is letting Rusty Jones and Bill Polian get away.

Stupid is building a finesse team in a cold-weather climate.

Stupid is doing the same thing, and expecting different results.

As part of the list of stupid things add that it is stupid to give up a home game by playing one in Toronto, particularly when Rogers sets a ticket price and also goes for weekday evening games that make travel by many Bills fans in Buffalo prohibitive.

Yeah, what Ryan actually said is that we were built to RUSH THE PASSER.

This team does not have a group of pass rushers like the Giants had a couple years ago, but they have the athleticism to be all over the QB as a group. Virtually every team in the league relies on blitzing to get pressure nowadays, the Bills blitz packages are completely ineffective. That is Perry Fewell. Give Dick LeBeau, or even Ryan, and this D would be getting a lot of heat on QB's.

I stand corrected..

You make a good point....better coaching and we would have a better pass rush but if you cant stop the run you limit you chances of put heat on the QB.

When you give up almost 5 yds a pop on the ground your are always defending 3 and short instead of 3rd and long.

Dick, according to your first post on this and our subsequent discussion (BTW you never responded to my reply), you state that "not putting in the time and effort to make themselves better football players" is the reason that McKelvin made a "bonehead play."

You talked about the "staggering amount of mental mistakes." You said that "Jauron was a joke, but the amateurish performance by these players has been inexcusable." I agree with that but you stated that the cause of these mistakes was the players not working hard enough.

Wouldn't you say that not trying to fight for extra yardage in that situation is something that McKelvin should know? I would know it. You would know it. Do you really think "putting in extra time and effort" on McKelvin's part would have changed the outcome?

Don't you think maybe it has more to do with this organization selecting players with low football IQ and/or bad coaching as I suggested?

Was McKelvin/Roscoe supposed to study game tape of these infrequent situations or fabricate some sort of unconventional kick/punt return drills by themselves in order to prevent these sorts of things from happening?

Your original statement asserting that it's simply a matter of the player working harder and giving greater effort is off the mark. These sorts of mistakes are not a function of a player working harder. They are a function of either stupid players, or bad coaching.

Your trying to argue that it's just one problem. It's not. On the whole they don't work hard because they aren't made to. But as professionals they should do so anyway. That is incredibly dumb, especially if you enjoy not practicing in pads and not killing yourselves in camp. They got the golden goose with Jauron, and they are as responsible for his firing as he is.

You are preaching to the choir about management's role, I have long argued that a team of unprovens/proven losers does not deserve to be treated like self motivated winners in Indy or NE. In a sense, you are just arguing semantics, because I don't believe for a minute that this team is naturally "dumber" than most others. Every team has at least a few idiots, and there is a school of thought that players that are too intelligent don't necessarily make the best soldiers. Look at Parcells. He loved having a dim bulb like Vinnie Testaverde at QB because Vinnie would do exactly as he was told. Same with Bledsoe. Is there a bigger idiot in the NFL than Joey Porter? He thrives in Miami under the Parcells system.

But again, the subject of the thread was the players. And the McKelvin/Parrish examples are just glaring instances. The dumb, sloppy play extends much farther than that. The execution of the team has been so far below that of better teams, and that in fair part falls on the players for not working hard enough and smart enough at their craft.

I stand corrected..

You make a good point....better coaching and we would have a better pass rush but if you cant stop the run you limit you chances of put heat on the QB.

When you give up almost 5 yds a pop on the ground your are always defending 3 and short instead of 3rd and long.

I wasn't trying to correct you, just pointing out the actual statement, which to some may seem like a totally absurd thing for Ryan to say. But it's true.

And you are right in the regard that you can't rush the passer if you can't stop the run, but even when they have stopped the run they still can't get to the QB. That's because Fewell doesn't know how to find the weaknesses in offenses and take advantage of them. He just doesn't see the same game that the better DC's see.

Your trying to argue that it's just one problem. It's not. On the whole they don't work hard because they aren't made to. But as professionals they should do so anyway. That is incredibly dumb, especially if you enjoy not practicing in pads and not killing yourselves in camp. They got the golden goose with Jauron, and they are as responsible for his firing as he is.

You are preaching to the choir about management's role, I have long argued that a team of unprovens/proven losers does not deserve to be treated like self motivated winners in Indy or NE. In a sense, you are just arguing semantics, because I don't believe for a minute that this team is naturally "dumber" than most others. Every team has at least a few idiots, and there is a school of thought that players that are too intelligent don't necessarily make the best soldiers. Look at Parcells. He loved having a dim bulb like Vinnie Testaverde at QB because Vinnie would do exactly as he was told. Same with Bledsoe. Is there a bigger idiot in the NFL than Joey Porter? He thrives in Miami under the Parcells system.

But again, the subject of the thread was the players. And the McKelvin/Parrish examples are just glaring instances. The dumb, sloppy play extends much farther than that. The execution of the team has been so far below that of better teams, and that in fair part falls on the players for not working hard enough and smart enough at their craft.

I'm not sure we're understanding each other completely. But thanks for replying. Good post.