Bills should draft 5th this year if we

oregonbbfan

lose the remainder of our games. Looking at the remaining games, we move ahead of KC because of a head to head loss. It looks like Oakland and Washington should each win at least one more game (root for them as difficult as it might be). That leaves just Detroit, Cleveland, TB and St. Louis ahead of us. A draft with number 5 will give us many options and should get us some good talent if we have a FO that will know what to do with it.

lose the remainder of our games. Looking at the remaining games, we move ahead of KC because of a head to head loss. It looks like Oakland and Washington should each win at least one more game (root for them as difficult as it might be). That leaves just Detroit, Cleveland, TB and St. Louis ahead of us. A draft with number 5 will give us many options and should get us some good talent if we have a FO that will know what to do with it.

Face it-- we'll finish 7-9 and be drafting 11th again. We're mediocre, not terrible.

But if we could get the 5th pick behind those teams, it would put us in a good position to get the QB of our choice depending on how everything falls into place. Det and TB won't draft a QB. Cleveland and St. Louis won't if they have the chance to get that Suh.

Face it-- we'll finish 7-9 and be drafting 11th again. We're mediocre, not terrible.

But if we could get the 5th pick behind those teams, it would put us in a good position to get the QB of our choice depending on how everything falls into place. Det and TB won't draft a QB. Cleveland and St. Louis won't if they have the chance to get that Suh.

We are far from mediocre. Mediocre teams are like Miami and the Jets. They may lose close games to terrible teams like ours but dominate us in the other game. We are not better than the Browns, KC, Det or TB, we would split a home and away series with these teams. The Browns beat us and KC will beat us. We don't even belong on the field against other mediocre teams like Houston and Tennessee. Oakland is better than us, that is how bad we are.

You forgot strength or schedule, which is the first tie breaker - even before head to head. The Bills currently ranks sixth hardest in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503

Teams with the same winning % are ranked by easiest SOS to hardest. Assuming the SOS rankings stay the same, that means we draft last of all the 4-12 teams. Our only hope is to lose out AND be the only 4-12 team. My bet is we finish 5-12 beating either KC or Indys back ups. That means we pick last of all the 5 win teams, or second to last if Carolina has 5 wins. That could move us as far back as 12-14.

The NFL policy for determining draft order screws us every year. We have the same record as the 49ers 2 years in a row, lose to them two years in a row, and draft behind them two years in a row. Its going to screw us again this year.

we move ahead of KC because of a head to head loss.

Not necessarily... Remember that the tiebreaker goes to easier strength of schedule in the draft. E.g., last year BUF lost to SF and both finished 7-9, but they drafted before us because they had easier strength of schedule in 2008.

We will beat KC next week though!

Our offensive line is in shambles, that dropped us from barely mediocre to terrible.

StL has used 2 of its last 3 first picks on DL, so not likely to go for Suh. Cleveland plays a 3-4, so Suh may not fit.

Not even sure if we could beat Indy's backups. I could see us beating KC though. But, that isn't a sure thing either.

All likelihood is 5-11 and drafting something like 8th. Which sucks, but what can you do?

Also, if Indy is undefeated going into the last game of the season, I'm not so sure they will take the game lightly.

Thoner, you are correct. I cannot for the life of me understand why strength of schedule takes precident over a face to face loss. But by my estimates, if we lose to KC and out, we will both end up with 4-12 records and the only ones with that record. KC could go behind us at 5-11 if they beat Cleveland leaving us alone at 4-12 and in the 5th slot. Add KC to that hope they win list.

Some of the fringe teams at our level are not going to be cruising for a QB, that bodes well. Detroit, KC, Oakland, Wash, TB..they're set. St. Louis, Cleveland and Buff are going after the first QBs...but one of them will probably grab Suh. This is working out pretty well for us. A mildly entertaining season, at times, and the chance to pick up a possible franchise QB.

Of course this all really means they draft like a kicker or something--or do some other weird thing that keeps us mired in 7-9 hell.

Some of the fringe teams at our level are not going to be cruising for a QB, that bodes well. Detroit, KC, Oakland, Wash, TB..they're set. St. Louis, Cleveland and Buff are going after the first QBs...but one of them will probably grab Suh. This is working out pretty well for us. A mildly entertaining season, at times, and the chance to pick up a possible franchise QB.

Of course this all really means they draft like a kicker or something--or do some other weird thing that keeps us mired in 7-9 hell.

Oakland? Washington? I didn't realize that those teams were set at QB with Gradkowski and Campbell.

Oakland? Washington? I didn't realize that those teams were set at QB with Gradkowski and Campbell.

Those two aren't bad enough (esp Gradkowski) to warrant a first round QB pick, in my opinion. They are decent players who are able to produce--maybe they just need some time to mature. Both teams may grab a QB out of free agency, but they have much bigger problems to deal with.

Those two aren't bad enough (esp Gradkowski) to warrant a first round QB pick, in my opinion. They are decent players who are able to produce--maybe they just need some time to mature. Both teams may grab a QB out of free agency, but they have much bigger problems to deal with.

Perhaps Oakland waits since they still have Jamarcus on their roster as well, but I think a new coach in Wash will want a new QB and therefore Campbell is finished. There really isn't a QB in free agency this upcoming offseason that would warrant a team signing to be their starter and therefore if a team is looking for a new QB, the first round in the draft is probably their best option.

Perhaps Oakland waits since they still have Jamarcus on their roster as well, but I think a new coach in Wash will want a new QB and therefore Campbell is finished. There really isn't a QB in free agency this upcoming offseason that would warrant a team signing to be their starter and therefore if a team is looking for a new QB, the first round in the draft is probably their best option.

Maybe, Skins still have Collins, right? Not that that's any kind of answer. And Campbell is weird in that he absolutely kills it sometimes and is barely competent others. Personally I'd be surprised if Washington wanted to deal with another rookie QB right away.

Thanks...I was going to tell Thoner that our schedule is quite a bit easier than before the season...

Mmmm there is no way the bills are getting a really good (on paper) QB.

Rams and Browns will def pick before the bills and def will get locker or clausen.

Bucs will absolutely pick Suh. I believe they went back to their tampa-2/43 defense.

You are not going to reach (hopefully they wont reach) for McCoy,Bradford, Mallet, TEBOW in the 1st round.

Bills will be looking at OL/DL/LB I think where they will pick around 6-11.

Mcclain LB from bama, Okung T from Okstate or the T from Oklahoma, and the DL Cody from bama or DL kid from Oklahoma.

Mmmm there is no way the bills are getting a really good (on paper) QB.

Rams and Browns will def pick before the bills and def will get locker or clausen.

Bucs will absolutely pick Suh. I believe they went back to their tampa-2/43 defense.

You are not going to reach (hopefully they wont reach) for McCoy,Bradford, Mallet, TEBOW in the 1st round.

Bills will be looking at OL/DL/LB I think where they will pick around 6-11.

Mcclain LB from bama, Okung T from Okstate or the T from Oklahoma, and the DL Cody from bama or DL kid from Oklahoma.

I don't think the Browns would be so quick to give up on Brady Quinn...yet. He's only in his 3rd year and he has shown some flashes in the last few games of possibly developing into a serviceable QB in the NFL.

In his last 3 games, he has thrown for 675 yards 7 TDs and 0 INTS while completing 55% of his passes, and he's doing it without his starting RB and his #1 WR being a rookie in Mohammad Massoquoi.

If he continues to perform admirably for the remainder of the season, I could see the Browns taking Suh with the first pick in the draft. TB wouldn't take a QB because they just drafted Freeman so this leaves St Louis as the first team to select a QB. If the Redskins pick next at #4, I could see them taking a LT to replace Pro Bowler Chris Samuels who was forced to retire in the middle of this season due to a neck injury, which should leave the Bills (assuming they pick 5th) to select 1 of the top 3 QBs in the draft.

You actually think we are going to win 3 out of our last 5 games? <_<