Penalties are way down since Fewell took over.

One tangible effect Perry Fewell has had on the Bills is reducing the number of penalties. In 3 games, the Bills had 10: 6 vs Jax, 3 vs Mia, and just one false start vs the Jets.

Compare that stat to Dick(less) Jauron: NE=6 TB=7 NO=12! Mia=5 Cle=13! NYJ=14! Car=9 Hou=4 Ten=8. That's 78 in 9 games.

So far Perry Fewell can motivate players and get them to play smarter.

PTR

One tangible effect Perry Fewell has had on the Bills is reducing the number of penalties. In 3 games, the Bills had 10: 6 vs Jax, 3 vs Mia, and just one false start vs the Jets.

Compare that stat to Dick(less) Jauron: NE=6 TB=7 NO=12! Mia=5 Cle=13! NYJ=14! Car=9 Hou=4 Ten=8. That's 78 in 9 games.

PTR

I wouldn't read too much into last night's game--I thought the refs were awful. I spotted like 5 or 6 penalties on both teams that weren't called (e.g., some dude ripped Jackson's facemask off on a KR and there was no call).

PTR

And NYJ had 3.

My guess is that this ref crew decided to keep their flags in their pockets, for reasons unknown.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/5...UF_Gamebook.pdf

PTR

Is that true? that's amazing! penalties have been losing games almost single handedly...just look at the Jax game. It's nice to know that may be a coaching issue as opposed to a straight up dumb linebacker issue

So what you are saying it doesn't matter if a team has one penalty or 14? Or if a team cuts it's per game penalty average by two-thirds? Is it a sign of a more focused prepared team or dumb luck?

PTR

Please...

I'm not going to dance attendance to your demands... :D

4 total penalties out of two podunk teams. Figure it out.

Look, Fewell may not be the second (or third) coming of Lou Saban, and, yes, they're 1-2 under his guidance, but fewer penalties is an improvement any way you cut it. It's not all dumb luck. It also seems as if they had fewer people limping off from injuries, which could be a coincidence (I didn't take the time to look up the statistics), but either way, it shows how bad Jauron truly was.

PTR

more likely it is that the one man penalty machine, Bell, has not been playing

more likely it is that the one man penalty machine, Bell, has not been playing

Are there penalty stats on individual players? I'd like to verify that claim. While you're at it, consider these stats as well:

Bills under Fewell:

Total offense up 91 yds/game (+43%)

Opp scoring down 6 pts/game (-37%)

Team penalties down by 5.8 penalties per game (-67%)

Team scoring up 4 pts/game (+26%)

PTR