This whole Toronto thing is a debacle

zow2

My gosh, i'm watching with my parents last night (who hardly watch games anymore) and we are all harping on the Preseason-like atmosphere? I mean the game, even if exciting (which is wasn't) was totally lifeless since there are not enough Bills fans (or Jets fans) to make noise for either side. It's bad for local Bills fans for obvious reasons, plus the thousands of ex-Buffalonians that usually fly in for games in WNY. I've spoken to many Canadian friends who love coming to RWS for the tailgating and unique gameday experience in Orchard Park. They even hate this Toronto exhibition. All think that the Buffalo Bills are Buffalo's team and should remain there. The Bills players obviously don't get too jacked up for playing there since they are 0-2 with some abysmal offensive numbers up there. I realize they are raking in the cash but c'mon, they have to end this Canadian experiment when the agreement is done. It's just lousy all around.

Also, next year they really need to place one of the game against an NFC opponent up there. The AFC East games are too valuable. The Jets I'm sure to a man are glad they did not have to play in OP.

Maybe it's a blessing. The whole thing is such a lousy presentation, plus the football is boring that maybe Torontonians will just say the heck with NFL football. We don't want it or need it here..

I really could not agree any more. It's atrocious watching these games. And the fact that they give Toronto a division game is just incomprehensible. I suppose it would make the most sense to make it an NFC game, but it's nice when they visit the Ralph because it's so rare to see those teams in WNY.

Also, next year they really need to place one of the game against an NFC opponent up there. The AFC East games are too valuable. The Jets I'm sure to a man are glad they did not have to play in OP.

Good points. I don't know, but my guess is that folks in TOR and on the Niagara Peninsula get a good share of AFC East programming.

Perhaps a NFC opponent might increase the gate.

Im a big Bills fan and I love going to games in Buffalo.. But I live in Canada and I heard that they were pretty much giving tickets away for nothing (20 to 40 bucks...)

but when I got down to the game tickets were hard to come by, they were going for over face value even after the first quarter and there were tonnes of people who showed up with the intent of scalping so people were going crazy..

too bad it didnt translate into any atmosphere whatsoever. toronto nfl sucks and hopefully the bills never move.

there wasnt even tailgating - just ****ty expensive bars

I attended the game last night, the game against Miami last year and several other CFL and MLB games at Rogers Centre and can say hands down it is the worst stadium to watch a football game in. The atmosphere last night, although slightly better than the Miami game last year, sucks. People attending the game in my section for the most part were wearing shirts and ties and the noise level was about 1/3 that of the Ralph.

I didn't pay for the ticket, but the face value of the seats I had was $275 CDN. I could go see 3 games at the Ralph for that price. I am a Canadian and wish the Bills would just play in Buffalo. The atmosphere at the Ralph is sooooo much better.

KH

My gosh, i'm watching with my parents last night (who hardly watch games anymore) and we are all harping on the Preseason-like atmosphere? I mean the game, even if exciting (which is wasn't) was totally lifeless since there are not enough Bills fans (or Jets fans) to make noise for either side. It's bad for local Bills fans for obvious reasons, plus the thousands of ex-Buffalonians that usually fly in for games in WNY. I've spoken to many Canadian friends who love coming to RWS for the tailgating and unique gameday experience in Orchard Park. They even hate this Toronto exhibition. All think that the Buffalo Bills are Buffalo's team and should remain there. The Bills players obviously don't get too jacked up for playing there since they are 0-2 with some abysmal offensive numbers up there. I realize they are raking in the cash but c'mon, they have to end this Canadian experiment when the agreement is done. It's just lousy all around.

Maybe it's a blessing. The whole thing is such a lousy presentation, plus the football is boring that maybe Torontonians will just say the heck with NFL football. We don't want it or need it here..

The atmosphere was lousy you're right! You could even hear echo from the PA system.

But the biggest question I have : Why keep the roof closed ?? It's a football game and it wasn't even that cold in Toronto ? Heck snow would have been welcomed and would have made the game interesting.

The atmosphere was lousy you're right! You could even hear echo from the PA system.

But the biggest question I have : Why keep the roof closed ?? It's a football game and it wasn't even that cold in Toronto ? Heck snow would have been welcomed and would have made the game interesting.

It was hard enough to get people to go to the game. You want them to risk opening the roof and making the people who were there on a lark get cold .... or god forbid snowed or rained on ... and leave?

I really could not agree any more. It's atrocious watching these games. And the fact that they give Toronto a division game is just incomprehensible. I suppose it would make the most sense to make it an NFC game, but it's nice when they visit the Ralph because it's so rare to see those teams in WNY.

Either way its a lose-lose situation. We literally have to play nine road games a year.

I went to the International Bowl and 30,000+ UB fans made plenty of noise. The crowd has to care.

PTR

Good call, I was there too......it was loud! Well, at least it was in the first half :thumbsup:

It puts $78 million into our franchise and can be a big reason why our beloved team can stay in Buffalo rather than relocate to an LA or some other place.

Also the next 2 years from a Buffalo season tix holder perspective it eliminates a preseason game.

Ever wonder why we got such a spike in season tickets 2 years ago? The overall price dropped down because you only paid for 8 games rather than 10 games. (typically $500 ticket dropped to $400)...these are all positives.

The atmosphere and demand for tickets will improve when the Bills actually provide Toronto with a competitive team

It puts $78 million into our franchise and can be a big reason why our beloved team can stay in Buffalo rather than relocate to an LA or some other place.

Also the next 2 years from a Buffalo season tix holder perspective it eliminates a preseason game.

Ever wonder why we got such a spike in season tickets 2 years ago? The overall price dropped down because you only paid for 8 games rather than 10 games. (typically $500 ticket dropped to $400)...these are all positives.

The atmosphere and demand for tickets will improve when the Bills actually provide Toronto with a competitive team

That's actually a good point. Bills go to the trouble of being a good/exciting team and maybe the Canadians perk up a little. Who exactly would be cheering for that nonsense the other night?

I'm sure you understand WHY divisional games keep going north of the border- it's a slick marketing thing forcing us to pay attention because its a divisional opponent. In the formula, this forces us Bills fans to support it.

In normal cases of 2 competitive teams battling for an edge towards the playoffs, the formula makes sense. I think we can also agree, that from a marketing standpoint, it would be much harder to sell Lions vs Bills than Bills Dolphins, Patriots, etc. We can see that even the NFL has jumped on board now, by making this a "prime time" game on the NFL Network. All in attempt for more $$.

I don't pretend to know what the Bills bottom line is in relation to the rest of the league. In other words, if this is truly a move out of need or merely a power grab of greed.

All I can say is that there is something extremely hollow in playing these games in neutral territory (as close as Toronto is to the border, it ain't Buffalo!). Especially division games.

Again, I don't know if the region can support the Bills, but Toronto reeks of a sell-out (to Bills fans).