A Move We Should Make If It Can Be Done

H2o

It's not the kind of playing time or production you'd expect from a player who received a whopping contract the day of the trade. Coming off back-to-back seven-sack seasons as a tackle in Green Bay's 4-3 scheme, Williams received a 6-year, $38.6 million extension with $16.3 million guaranteed and more than $23 million over the first three years. He counts $8.83 million against the cap this season and will count $8.283 million next season -- if he's still around.

Williams made it clear this week that he doesn't like playing end and wants to get back inside, either in a 3-4 or 4-3. It wouldn't be surprising if he asks for a trade in the off-season.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...appy_since.html

I know this has been mentioned before, but it is an option that I believe the Bills should certainly explore. He's a better option than Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, and John McCargo. He's had proven success in a 4-3 scheme and would definitely help to sure up the middle of the defense. I think he and Stroud would be one of the better starting DT duos in the NFL. This would also allow us to have quality depth at the position with the other guys coming off the bench with Corey Williams and Stroud getting a majority of the snaps.

I really like the idea of doing this if we are indeed going to stick with the 4-3 next season, I'm just still kind of holding out hope that we will smarten up and make the transition to the 3-4.

Agreed, I wanted the Bills to get him at the dead line. His time in Cleveland has been awful, just not a fit in the 3-4 so his value should be down. If the Bills stay with a 4-3 there should be some reasonable free agents that could help the front seven get bigger and more physical. Derrick Johnson or Aaron Kampman come to mind.

That is a guy you would definitely want on your team.

That being said, we have more pressing needs. Besides, Kyle Williams has had a solid outing this year. He has 43 tackles and a sack. Admittedly, I would like to see more sacks out of him. But - he has played most of the year on a bad knee and with a bad shoulder... even missing a game or two... I have been very happy with his disruptive ability and tackle total so far...

No more 4-3 defense. We need to adapt to the 3-4. Most of the top defenses in the league are 3-4 and every other team in our division is 3-4. We need to find a top Noze Tackle in the draft and bring in a HC or DC that will install a 3-4. We already have some decent options to use as DE and as far as LB's go...Mitchell and Poz are good IL and I think we should be looking at Maybin for OL.

Well, just for the record, the discussion is about Corey Williams

Id rather have Shaun Rodgers though I guess not anymore. He had a "lower leg injury" which will require surgery....

Agreed. There is no telling how strongly Shaun Rodgers will be able to return.

No more 4-3 defense. We need to adapt to the 3-4. Most of the top defenses in the league are 3-4 and every other team in our division is 3-4. We need to find a top Noze Tackle in the draft and bring in a HC or DC that will install a 3-4. We already have some decent options to use as DE and as far as LB's go...Mitchell and Poz are good IL and I think we should be looking at Maybin for OL.

We should have never left the 3-4 defensive scheme. Honestly, I have always liked the 3-4 as a defense. But now that it is the "in" defense in the league, I am almost apprehensive to switch to it (Although I still want to). Since so many teams run it, opposing teams will be used to seeing/game planning for it.

We should have never left the 3-4 defensive scheme. Honestly, I have always liked the 3-4 as a defense. But now that it is the "in" defense in the league, I am almost apprehensive to switch to it (Although I still want to). Since so many teams run it, opposing teams will be used to seeing/game planning for it.

agreed. just like we were late to the dance in switching to the tampa 2.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...appy_since.html

I know this has been mentioned before, but it is an option that I believe the Bills should certainly explore. He's a better option than Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, and John McCargo. He's had proven success in a 4-3 scheme and would definitely help to sure up the middle of the defense. I think he and Stroud would be one of the better starting DT duos in the NFL. This would also allow us to have quality depth at the position with the other guys coming off the bench with Corey Williams and Stroud getting a majority of the snaps.

No thanks....to much of a contract to pick up, and the way Kyle is playing this year, no need. I'd rather draft a D-Lineman or pick up one of the 4 Big Name DL's that will be available in Free Agency (Wilfork, Seymour, Hampton, Jolly) :lol:

AFAIK, finding a NT in the college ranks good enough to make the pros is a problem.

If everyone is doing the 3-4 why do you want to do it?

I do not think the problem is the scheme as much as the talent in the front 7.

Another strong DT to go along with Stroud would go a long way into helping that problem.

I like Williams. Or what about Seymoore(SP) Him and Stroud back together would be great.

If everyone is doing the 3-4 why do you want to do it?

I do not think the problem is the scheme as much as the talent in the front 7.

Another strong DT to go along with Stroud would go a long way into helping that problem.

I like Williams. Or what about Seymoore(SP) Him and Stroud back together would be great.

As I said. I have always liked it as a defensive scheme. I think we have some good personnel in place to run it. But again, maybe its not in the teams best interest.

I know I am not a fan of the Tampa 2 style defense. Small fast players get hurt frequently.

I would think that if we switched to the 3-4 though we would be better prepared to face it on sunday. Last year we went 1-8 against 3-4 fronts and 6-1 against 4-3 fronts. Its obvious that we are not able to prepare successfully to go up against that kind of scheme.

I would think that if we switched to the 3-4 though we would be better prepared to face it on sunday. Last year we went 1-8 against 3-4 fronts and 6-1 against 4-3 fronts. Its obvious that we are not able to prepare successfully to go up against that kind of scheme.

This may have some validity. Honestly, though, I think that our biggest liability in facing the 3-4 has been Trent's ability to read it.

This may have some validity. Honestly, though, I think that our biggest liability in facing the 3-4 has been Trent's ability to read it.

That also might have some validity. I guess if Fitzpatrick goes 3-0 against the 3-4 schemes of our division oponents we will have an idea if it falls on whether the QB is able to read the defense and adjust

As I said. I have always liked it as a defensive scheme. I think we have some good personnel in place to run it. But again, maybe its not in the teams best interest.

I know I am not a fan of the Tampa 2 style defense. Small fast players get hurt frequently.

Dunno about that. The Browns thought that Corey Williams would make an excellent 3-4 DE, and that was a bust. The Raiders thought that Warren Sapp would be able to play DE in a 3-4, and that was a colossal bust. We have no NT on the active roster, and no proven 3-4 DE either. Stroud, Williams, and Spencer Johnson all are candidates to play end in a 3-4, but none of them have ever really done it, and history shows that not all 4-3 DTs can make that switch. Denney might be able to bulk up and play in a 3-4, but his contract expires this year, and he probably won't be back anyway.

As for LBs, there's no guarantee that Schobel would succeed at OLB -- look at Aaron Kampman this year. Schobel & Kampman are pretty similar players, and I tend to think Schobel would struggle about as much as Kampman did. Maybin looks like an OLB size-wise, but has never played the position, and hasn't shown anything on the field that suggests he can. Maybe he can, but that's a huge question mark.

In general, 3-4 LBs need to be bigger than 4-3 LBs, so we'd need to get some bigger LBs in there. But we need to do that anyway, so I don't think that's really a point for or against moving to a 3-4.

I'm not a fan of the Tampa 2 either, but there are plenty of good defenses we can run out of a 4-3 alignment. Getting bigger, faster, better players is the real key. If Mitchell comes back at full strength, we have probably 5 legit starters for a 4-3, 3 of whom would be major question marks in a 3-4.