LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, LOST didn't get any Emmy love last night, besides those in attendance who amped up the cheering during the respective nominee lists. It was #1 in a lot of people's hearts.

Apparently not the ones that matter, tho.... as they went toward more conventional drama. And I can at least understand that. Dramas involving the supernatural / sci-fi / spiritual historically don't win many awards from the academy (LOTR only won major categories in its final installment, a deferred testament to the work as a whole). Winning Best Drama for S1 was probably enough in most voters' minds. They'd rather vote for the conventional, where they do their work than usher in more sci-fi to their idiom.

There's the adage that "just to be nominated is validation enough." And I think that applies moreso for LOST than just about any other show. To all the people who grumbled about the finale and how it was executed, you can point to 12 nods among people who make TV for a living saying, 'This was one of the best of the year.'

I can understand them not winning, tho. It happens. Michael Emerson didn't have much screen-time or as juicy bits and Terry O'Quinn was hard to feel close to as MIB/FLocke. Matthew Fox's acting is a lot like how Theodore Dreiser's novels are described --- that brick by brick it's not really impressive, until the time when you step back a bit and view the completed structure, that's when the 'Wow' moment comes when you think about the totality of the work. Many shows come and go, many are confined to their era and forgotten... LOST will age well. And I hope that those viewers who were disappointed come back in 5 or 6 years and give it another turn.

Edited by UConn James

Just to add... probably the funniest part of the night was when Jorge Garcia joined in on the opening skit. Seemed like the place erupted at that moment. Then, there was Jimmy Fallon's farewell covers, which used "Time of Your Life" the song that I wrote a while back best summed up the LOST experience.

There were some good bits on the DarkUFO site, where a few of the best episode commentators were invited to answer some of the most burning "unresolved mystery" items from a poll on that site. I really recommend this. I really dig Robz888's answer on the question of Walt --- that Walt (and, probably all of the Island's protectors) always had certain powers that belong to the Island's protector. Case in point: How it stopped raining almost immediately when Michael said he's try to find Vincent when it stopped raining. And the argument that Walt will likely take over from Hurley. Full agreement here.

Also, another note I read last week... The intentions coming into the season apparently had been to reveal Ilana as Jacob's actual daughter. It was deemed that there was not really enough time to make this happen to any degree of satisfaction. So it was left that Ilana described Jacob as being "like a father to me."

Picked up the S6 DVDs today. It's probably the last TV show I will ever be doing this for. For me, tho, having this series on the bookshelf is like the need to have Shakespeare and a Merriam-Webster/ Don't know when I'm going to get to it. Still giving it some digestion and separation time. Also trying to work through several seasons of another show via online at the moment.

Still awaiting the promised Doc Jensen column....

Edited by UConn James

Just to add... probably the funniest part of the night was when Jorge Garcia joined in on the opening skit. Seemed like the place erupted at that moment. Then, there was Jimmy Fallon's farewell covers, which used "Time of Your Life" the song that I wrote a while back best summed up the LOST experience.

There were some good bits on the DarkUFO site, where a few of the best episode commentators were invited to answer some of the most burning "unresolved mystery" items from a poll on that site. I really recommend this. I really dig Robz888's answer on the question of Walt --- that Walt (and, probably all of the Island's protectors) always had certain powers that belong to the Island's protector. Case in point: How it stopped raining almost immediately when Michael said he's try to find Vincent when it stopped raining. And the argument that Walt will likely take over from Hurley. Full agreement here.

Also, another note I read last week... The intentions coming into the season apparently had been to reveal Ilana as Jacob's actual daughter. It was deemed that there was not really enough time to make this happen to any degree of satisfaction. So it was left that Ilana described Jacob as being "like a father to me."

Picked up the S6 DVDs today. It's probably the last TV show I will ever be doing this for. For me, tho, having this series on the bookshelf is like the need to have Shakespeare and a Merriam-Webster/ Don't know when I'm going to get to it. Still giving it some digestion and separation time. Also trying to work through several seasons of another show via online at the moment.

Still awaiting the promised Doc Jensen column....

ill check out the darkufo link, always good stuff on that site. im just sad i didnt know about it until the last season.

i just got back from Best Buy this morning where i picked up the Bluray boxset. had some gift cards and a store credit or else id be kicking myself for having spent almost $260 on it. i feel the same way. its simply a must-have for me, right up there with plenty of classic books on my shelf. waiting until lunch time to open it and dig through all the stuff...

Ah...its good to be back in my old Lostie haunt. Hope everyone had a great summer. It's odd being back in here and trying to get the brain back into a Lost-mode. I think I suffered a bit of Lost-analysis burnout a while back, but I think I'm ready to get back into it.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit to pick up the big Lost six pack. That's ok though...the time off will do me good, plus I'll probably start off from the very beginning and right it right on through to the end.

I do love Weezer's new album name and cover. :thumbsup: