Time Warner-NFL Network Bills-Jets Game

cuse

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, perhaps Cox lost its #3 ranking, but you're splitting hairs here. How about no sports tier and get rid of about 30 or so garbage channels that TW gives me. I don't want them, and neither do many other customers. Sports are popular, and nothing is more popular than the NFL. And don't use the excuse that rates will go up, they go up every freakin' year (sometimes twice in a year) anyway. It's about giving the customers what they want. We'll pay, just give us what we want, not schlock channels. NFLN wants to be on basic for ratings, I get that. It makes sense. A sports tier would hit many less viewers. :cry:

There a many hard core Football fans that would pay extra for NFL network, there are MANY MORE CASUAL fans that would watch the channel if it were available for FREE. It should be on Basic as a service to ALL football fans hard core & casual alike. Football & the NFL is the most popular sport in AMERICA there is no arguing that. The VAST MAJORITY of the Cable Companys customers would like to have that channel.

Look, perhaps Cox lost its #3 ranking, but you're splitting hairs here. How about no sports tier and get rid of about 30 or so garbage channels that TW gives me. I don't want them, and neither do many other customers. Sports are popular, and nothing is more popular than the NFL. And don't use the excuse that rates will go up, they go up every freakin' year (sometimes twice in a year) anyway. It's about giving the customers what they want. We'll pay, just give us what we want, not schlock channels. NFLN wants to be on basic for ratings, I get that. It makes sense. A sports tier would hit many less viewers. :cry:
The point is, for 350+ days a year, NFLN is a schlock channel with nothing that 99% of their customers would want to watch. They're trying to strong-arm Time Warner into putting them on their basic tier at a pretty steep price, only because they carry about 8 NFL games a year, plus draft/combine coverage.

For what it's worth, I heard a co-worker of mine say that this game is supposed to be on in the Albany area, since we're considered a Jets market. WPIX in New York (the CW network) is carrying it, according to their web site...

WPIX

I believe the Albany CW affiliate is channel 15. I won't hold my breath, but I will be looking for it.

The game is being shown by WPIX, not by CW. It's not on in the Albany area; I just checked the TV guide listings, which are usually pretty reliable.

This policy goes all the way back to when ESPN first started carrying regular season games. Every Bills game shown on ESPN has always been shown on a local channel. The basic concept is that people who live in the local market shouldn't be required to purchase a cable package to watch a game that's sold out and being aired locally.

So in this case, WKBW and WPIX put in the highest bids in their respective markets, and those are the only two channels other than NFLN which will be showing the game.

The blackout policy is set by the NFL, not TW. Channel 8 would have broadcast the game (which would have been on TW cable) if the NFL had allowed them to pay money to do so.
That's more/less correct. If the NFL had allowed them to, and no other local channel outbid them, then they would have been able to show the game.

According to titan tv dish network listings, WPIX out of NYC is carrying the game. Maybe you can get that in Albany?

Probably on WPIX cable as well?

If your cable package includes WPIX (not another CW affiliate, but the WPIX channel itself) then you will get the game.

TV used to be free. Telephone service used to be available for under 40 bucks a month. Gas used to be affordable. Have you looked at the price of hamburger lately? It's got to end somewhere. Start taking your business elsewhere and make them compete for your business where you can.

The point is, for 350+ days a year, NFLN is a schlock channel with nothing that 99% of their customers would want to watch. They're trying to strong-arm Time Warner into putting them on their basic tier at a pretty steep price, only because they carry about 8 NFL games a year, plus draft/combine coverage.

The game is being shown by WPIX, not by CW. It's not on in the Albany area; I just checked the TV guide listings, which are usually pretty reliable.

This policy goes all the way back to when ESPN first started carrying regular season games. Every Bills game shown on ESPN has always been shown on a local channel. The basic concept is that people who live in the local market shouldn't be required to purchase a cable package to watch a game that's sold out and being aired locally.

So in this case, WKBW and WPIX put in the highest bids in their respective markets, and those are the only two channels other than NFLN which will be showing the game.

That's more/less correct. If the NFL had allowed them to, and no other local channel outbid them, then they would have been able to show the game.

If your cable package includes WPIX (not another CW affiliate, but the WPIX channel itself) then you will get the game.

Not true, they replay games & I would bet more than 1% would be interested in that. As for the price HOW MUCH is the NFL asking for? How much does TW pay for WE or Lifetime or BET? I would bet there are a good number of subscribers that don't watch those channels.

.......and how will this happen?

Go to Time Warner Cable's Customer Support website and send them a message stating that you are dropping them as a service provider and going with someone else because they don't televise local Bill's games. For my area the website is https://www.timewarnercable.com/northeast/a...us.ashx?menu=25

Switch to someone else. If enough people do it, you can be that will light a fire under their butts.

Go to Time Warner Cable's Customer Support website and send them a message stating that you are dropping them as a service provider and going with someone else because they don't televise local Bill's games. For my area the website is https://www.timewarnercable.com/northeast/a...us.ashx?menu=25

Switch to someone else. If enough people do it, you can be that will light a fire under their butts.

You don't understand. It's the NFL's policy, not Time Warner's. The NFL doesn't even allow TW affiliates outside of Buffalo to bid on the rights for games like this.

Time Warner doesn't carry NFLN because the NFLN is trying to strong-arm them into carrying it in their basic package, even though for 350+ days out of the year they have nothing of interest to the general public airing.

Would it really inconvience you people that much to find a local bar to go watch the game this one time? I moved to Los Angeles 5 years ago, I have directv but don't have Sunday ticket....I actually get out and leave the house. It's a pretty interesting concept. You get to meet people who are in a similar situation as you, and you might even make a new friend. Not only that, but if you order food and a drink, you're actually helping your local businesses and stimulating the economy for a night. And if you're one of the lucky people who has a Neilson box....you're sticking it to the NFL and Time Warner by turning your box off for the evening. Or you can sit inside and NOT WATCH THE GAME AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT ON THE INTERNET........your call.

I don't think Cablelady can drop TW as her provider without getting in trouble.