Is this not the coolest idea?

blzrul

I got a solicitation in the mail for this a couple of days ago and I just think it is an EXCELLENT idea that kills two birds with one stone!

A local no-kill animal shelter is being forced to close because (although this place is in the sticks) the neighbors don't like the barking. So they came up with this idea about a dog town - where they are going to actually build a village which would BE the shelter!

Their plan is to build this village and rent the housing to low-income senior citizens at a reduced rate. The seniors will house and care for the animals up for adoptions.

No more cages for the animals and no dog food for the seniors! What a neat idea.

Anyway I have never heard of anything like this, does anyone know if there is one in existence? What a creative way to address the situation.

Anyway here is the link if anyone's interested. Dog Town

I got a solicitation in the mail for this a couple of days ago and I just think it is an EXCELLENT idea that kills two birds with one stone!

A local no-kill animal shelter is being forced to close because (although this place is in the sticks) the neighbors don't like the barking.  So they came up with this idea about a dog town - where they are going to actually build a village which would BE the shelter! 

Their plan is to build this village and rent the housing to low-income senior citizens at a reduced rate.  The seniors will house and care for the animals up for adoptions.

No more cages for the animals and no dog food for the seniors!  What a neat idea.

Anyway I have never heard of anything like this, does anyone know if there is one in existence?  What a creative way to address the situation.

Anyway here is the link if anyone's interested.  Dog Town

122702[/snapback]

That's pretty neat. I hope it works.

Sorry to throw cold water on this, but this is a disaster in the making.

The one big thing that is missing here, along with most top down benefit programs, is the long term incentive to care for the animals and for the property.

This idea is so ripe for abuse by every party that a good intention will turn into a animal lovers nightmare.

Why do I have this vision of the local paper visiting the little town for one of those "One Year Later..." feel-good pieces, and the reporter shows up in town, there's not a dog for miles and all the old people are sitting around wiping bbq sauce from their chins.

Why do I have this vision of the local paper visiting the little town for one of those "One Year Later..." feel-good pieces, and the reporter shows up in town, there's not a dog for miles and all the old people are sitting around wiping bbq sauce from their chins.

122916[/snapback]

Is the town going to be located in Korea?

Sorry to throw cold water on this, but this is a disaster in the making.

The one big thing that is missing here, along with most top down benefit programs, is the long term incentive to care for the animals and for the property. 

This idea is so ripe for abuse by every party that a good intention will turn into a animal lovers nightmare.

122857[/snapback]

I guess it all depends on how they screen the people. I think it's got possibilities and reduces dependence on government handouts, which should be near and dear to most people's hearts on this board. Those who have them that is.

In theory its a good idea as long as there are oversights in terms of making sure that the old ladies are hoarding like 50 cats or something.  They do that sometimes.

Or that a bunch of Koreans or Filipinos dont move into town.

123225[/snapback]

It's only for dogs, not cats. I have a cat I inherited but dislike them in general and would think any group that wanted to build a Cat Town was nuts.

It's only for dogs, not cats.  I have a cat I inherited but dislike them in general and would think any group that wanted to build a Cat Town was nuts.

123244[/snapback]

You're a right wing extremist when it comes to cats.

In theory its a good idea as long as there are oversights in terms of making sure that the old ladies are hoarding like 50 cats or something.  They do that sometimes.

123225[/snapback]

This would be their chance to do it legally!

You're a right wing extremist when it comes to cats.

123280[/snapback]

You obvoiusly have never spent $250 on a new comforter for your bed, only to have a cat puke on it the first night it's on the bed. You probably also didn't spend a day shampooing the carpet in your closet, thinking the cat peed there, only to find out the smell was eminating from your prized leather suitcase, from which the small CANNOT be removed ... and you probably have never had to re-upholster furniture nor spackle and repaint walls where the cat decided to give itself a manicure.

But an extremist? No. I LOVE cats. They taste JUST like chicken! :rolleyes:

Not cool. When they start getting Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Danes, Pinschers and the like dumped there, you'll have seniors getting horribly mauled or killed. Folks like to say it's the training that matters, but there's a reason you don't see such breeds at dog shows. Astute dog people know full well that such breed have been bred for centuries for the purpose of killing.

The first bite of a collie or a beagle usually results in some level of damage. The first bite of a Rottweiler, Pit Bull, etc. results in massive mutilation, hundreds of thousands or stitches, long-term mental trauma or death.

Not cool. When they start getting Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Danes, Pinschers and the like dumped there, you'll have seniors getting horribly mauled or killed. Folks like to say it's the training that matters, but there's a reason you don't see such breeds at dog shows.  Astute dog people know full well that such breed have been bred for centuries for the purpose of killing.

The first bite of a collie or a beagle usually results in some level of damage. The first bite of a Rottweiler,  Pit Bull, etc. results in massive mutilation, hundreds of thousands or stitches, long-term mental trauma or death.

123938[/snapback]

You don't see Rottweilers, Great Danes, Dobermann Pinschers at dog shows? Yeah, right. But I guess you're an astute dog person and I'm not.

No such thing as the working group. <_<

No, I don't.  Perhaps you'll agree about the first bite idea, though.

123955[/snapback]

American Kennel Club Working Group Breed List

United Kennel Club Guardian Dogs

Westminster Working Group Listing

Doberman Pinschers have been used as search and rescue dogs (there were a number of them at the WTC, for example), are increasingly being used as guide dogs for the blind and handicapped, and have saved the lives of numerous soldiers over the years on the battle field. Their exploits are so well regarded that they not only have their own war memorial in the Pacific, but are also the official mascot of the USMC.

As for them being bred to kill "for centuries," that is a crock of stevestojan too. The breed can be traced back to 1890 and the evolution over the past 100 years has given the world the ultimate canine athlete. Strong, fast, and super intelligent. NOT dangerous unless trained to be that way or bred poorly.

Making blanket statements such as "first bite" is no better than saying no one should be allowed to own a corvette because it's illegal to drive over 65 MPH in most of the country.

Are there bad dogs? Sure. But most of them are the products of bad owners. Too bad we can't euthanize them so easily. Would I recommend a bunch of big muscular dogs running around at a senior citizen community? Probably not. That doesn't keep me from taking my dobermans to the local senior center, nor does it keep the residents from loving the time they get to spend with them.

American Kennel Club Working Group Breed List

United Kennel Club Guardian Dogs

Westminster Working Group Listing

Doberman Pinschers have been used as search and rescue dogs (there were a number of them at the WTC, for example), are increasingly being used as guide dogs for the blind and handicapped, and have saved the lives of numerous soldiers over the years on the battle field.  Their exploits are so well regarded that they not only have their own war memorial in the Pacific, but are also the official mascot of the USMC.

As for them being bred to kill "for centuries," that is a crock of stevestojan too.  The breed can be traced back to 1890 and the evolution over the past 100 years has given the world the ultimate canine athlete.  Strong, fast, and super intelligent.  NOT dangerous unless trained to be that way or bred poorly.

Making blanket statements such as "first bite" is no better than saying no one should be allowed to own a corvette because it's illegal to drive over 65 MPH in most of the country.

Are there bad dogs?  Sure.  But most of them are the products of bad owners.  Too bad we can't euthanize them so easily.  Would I recommend a bunch of big muscular dogs running around at a senior citizen community?  Probably not.  That doesn't keep me from taking my dobermans to the local senior center, nor does it keep the residents from loving the time they get to spend with them.

123981[/snapback]

We're never going to come to agreement on this subject, AD. I just cannot conceive of wanting to own an animal that could cause catastrophic harm. Nothing is 100% certain. A small child could come up and whack your doggie. Yes, the dog was provoked, and the child suffers a horror. Don't think it can't happen...

Here's something to chew on...

http://www.ukdogs.org/Greman%20Ban.html

Doberman Pinschers have been used as search and rescue dogs (there were a number of them at the WTC, for example), are increasingly being used as guide dogs for the blind and handicapped, and have saved the lives of numerous soldiers over the years on the battle field.  Their exploits are so well regarded that they not only have their own war memorial in the Pacific, but are also the official mascot of the USMC.

As for them being bred to kill "for centuries," that is a crock of stevestojan too.  The breed can be traced back to 1890 and the evolution over the past 100 years has given the world the ultimate canine athlete.  Strong, fast, and super intelligent.  NOT dangerous unless trained to be that way or bred poorly. 

Are there bad dogs?  Sure.  But most of them are the products of bad owners.  Too bad we can't euthanize them so easily.  Would I recommend a bunch of big muscular dogs running around at a senior citizen community?  Probably not.  That doesn't keep me from taking my dobermans to the local senior center, nor does it keep the residents from loving the time they get to spend with them.

123981[/snapback]

Abso-frickin'-lutely, AD.

Why do people equate size and sleekness to mean dogs? My dad is an ACO in our town, and I've gone with him on many an occasion. Of probably five Dobies I've encountered, one was mean but you could take a look at the owner and know make the same judgment. Bad dogs potentially come in all breeds. Yes, some are innately more aggressive than others. But the vast majority of a dog's temperment has to do with its upbringing. Unfortunately a lot of people handle their dogs with the same laissez-faire style as they handle their kids.

I've got a German Shorthair Pointer that most people recoil from in fear b/c he's 80 pounds and all muscle. But they're one of the most intelligent breeds I've ever worked with, and for my dog the only thing you'd have to fear is him licking you to death. Unless you try to come in my house when I'm not there.... then he'll tear your arse to pieces. <_<

We're never going to come to agreement on this subject, AD.  I just cannot conceive of wanting to own an animal that could cause catastrophic harm.  Nothing is 100% certain. A small child could come up and whack your doggie. Yes, the dog was provoked, and the child suffers a horror. Don't think it can't happen...

Here's something to chew on...

http://www.ukdogs.org/Greman%20Ban.html

123999[/snapback]

Oh yeah, statistics. Guess you didn't buy your kid a bike or let them swim in a pool. Both are SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to cause catastrophic injury than a dog.

Once again, the media feeds a frenzy and the retards buy in like they're giving away free Snack Pack.

<_<

You are way smarter than that.

Abso-frickin'-lutely, AD.

Why do people equate size and sleekness to mean dogs? My dad is an ACO in our town, and I've gone with him on many an occasion. Of probably five Dobies I've encountered, one was mean but you could take a look at the owner and know make the same judgment. Bad dogs potentially come in all breeds. Yes, some are innately more aggressive than others. But the vast majority of a dog's temperment has to do with its upbringing. Unfortunately a lot of people handle their dogs with the same laissez-faire style as they handle their kids.

I've got a German Shorthair Pointer that most people recoil from in fear b/c he's 80 pounds and all muscle. But they're one of the most intelligent breeds I've ever worked with, and for my dog the only thing you'd have to fear is him licking you to death. Unless you try to come in my house when I'm not there.... then he'll tear your arse to pieces. <_<

124009[/snapback]

Not coincidentally, GSP are one of the base breeds for Dobermanns. My child was never safer than when he was playing in the yard being babysat by my two canine guardians.