Is this not the coolest idea?

blzrul

We're never going to come to agreement on this subject, AD.  I just cannot conceive of wanting to own an animal that could cause catastrophic harm.  Nothing is 100% certain. A small child could come up and whack your doggie. Yes, the dog was provoked, and the child suffers a horror. Don't think it can't happen...

Here's something to chew on...

http://www.ukdogs.org/Greman%20Ban.html

123999[/snapback]

Attack dogs have become a growing problem in Germany. The animals are favored by Turkish workers, young toughs, drug dealers, pimps and skinheads, and there have been a number of attacks on humans.

Well the only advice I'll give is that when people are over visiting their neighborhood crack dealers and dog fight trainers, watch your kids. Or don't.... Darwin's theories and all.

Any responsible dog owner would know how to introduce their dog to other people and kids. Have the person hold their hand out and let the dog sniff it. And if there's ANY question about your dog being around kids you don't put them in that situation. What's so hard about this?

Well the only advice I'll give is that when people are over visiting their neighborhood crack dealers and dog fight trainers, watch your kids. Or don't.... Darwin's theories and all.

Any responsible dog owner would know how to introduce their dog to other people and kids. Have the person hold their hand out and let the dog sniff it. And if there's ANY question about your dog being around kids you don't put them in that situation. What's so hard about this?

124025[/snapback]

It's actually better to hold out a clenched fist, but you've nailed it.

Not coincidentally, GSP are one of the base breeds for Dobermanns.  My child was never safer than when he was playing in the yard being babysat by my two canine guardians.

124017[/snapback]

This is really a great thing about the bigger, intelligent and loyal breeds in rural areas especially. We've got a quiet problem with coyotes here (one of the pups from a litter we raised was actually killed the day after that family took her home, right in front of their kids, but at least it went for the dog....) as I'm sure you've got wildlife of your own. If an adult dog is in the yard, 99.9% of the wildlife will steer clear, and for those that don't the dog will often protect you. That is the definition of love.

My dog is smarter than most people I know, and a great judge of character. Sometimes it's taken me a while to find out what he knew right off the bat. I could've saved some heartaches if I'd just listened....

It's actually better to hold out a clenched fist, but you've nailed it.

I don't know about that. I also don't like to put a fist next to a dog's head. It gives the wrong impression to people you're around (we actually rescued a GSP, the mum of my dog who was abused) and to kids that'll take off with the idea of the fist. Just as effective or better to just lay your hand out flat and let them smell.

Back on topic, I think that plan has a lot of potential good for both groups. Seniors who have dogs actually live longer b/c they've got someone/thing to live for.

This is really a great thing about the bigger, intelligent and loyal breeds in rural areas especially. We've got a quiet problem with coyotes here (one of the pups from a litter we raised was actually killed the day after that family took her home, right in front of their kids, but at least it went for the dog....) as I'm sure you've got wildlife of your own. If an adult dog is in the yard, 99.9% of the wildlife will steer clear, and for those that don't the dog will often protect you. That is the definition of love.

My dog is smarter than most people I know, and a great judge of character. Sometimes it's taken me a while to find out what he knew right off the bat. I could've saved some heartaches if I'd just listened....

I don't know about that. I also don't like to put a fist next to a dog's head. It gives the wrong impression to people you're around (we actually rescued a GSP, the mum of my dog who was abused) and to kids that'll take off with the idea of the fist. Just as effective or better to just lay your hand out flat and let them smell.

124072[/snapback]

All three of my dogs are rescues. The deal with the fist is you get to keep all your fingers should the dog snap.

You're right on both the wildlife AND the judge of character. The character thing is especially amazing. They are blessed with some kind of sensor. I watch mine very closely around new people because of that. Very keen.

Not cool. When they start getting Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Danes, Pinschers and the like dumped there, you'll have seniors getting horribly mauled or killed. Folks like to say it's the training that matters, but there's a reason you don't see such breeds at dog shows.  Astute dog people know full well that such breed have been bred for centuries for the purpose of killing.

The first bite of a collie or a beagle usually results in some level of damage. The first bite of a Rottweiler,  Pit Bull, etc. results in massive mutilation, hundreds of thousands or stitches, long-term mental trauma or death.

123938[/snapback]

For some reason most of the dogs in that particular shelter are labs.

Having had 3 of them I understand why - they need attention and activity. Even if they can't go on long walks just having someone pet them or toss them a ball will work.

Anyway if you've ever worked in a shelter system you may have noticed that they sort the dogs out - certainly killer dogs with fangs dripping blood are NOT going to these homes any more than they'd be put in a kennel in a regular shelter to be adopted. They'd go to a special foster home or be euthanized.

For some reason most of the dogs in that particular shelter are labs.

Having had 3 of them I understand why - they need attention and activity.  Even if they can't go on long walks just having someone pet them or toss them a ball will work. 

Anyway if you've ever worked in a shelter system you may have noticed that they sort the dogs out - certainly killer dogs with fangs dripping blood are NOT going to these homes any more than they'd be put in a kennel in a regular shelter to be adopted.  They'd go to a special foster home or be euthanized.

124113[/snapback]

So you profile. Do you support "Doggism"? If you had to deliver a package, and your choice was to go through Yard "A", with beagles behind the fence, or Yard "B" with Rottweilers behind the fence, wouldn't you be a "Doggist" if you chose Yard "A" all the time? There is nothing dripping off of the Rottweilers, mind you. You have no reason to prejudge their possible deportment. It's entirely possible that they are owned by a "good owner", after all... <_<

Not cool. When they start getting Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Danes, Pinschers and the like dumped there, you'll have seniors getting horribly mauled or killed.

But that would cut down the cost of social security.

You probably already know this but I pee on this so called dog town

I pee and I bite

I will attack any old bat that provokes me in the new town which I rule

I pee on this whole thread and Debbie's leather suitcase

I pee on Darin's innuendo that I am not a natural danger

I was born provoked and I peed on my mom. After all, she was a b!tch.