insurance

zazie

I wonder if these guys carry some insurance policy to cover catastrophic injury. If Wood is actually done (hope not but seems possible) he likely only gets the guaranteed part of his contract. I wonder if he has a bunch more coming from some insurance? And do most players?

Sorry for the morbid topic just interested a little in the business aspect of the game.

I wonder if these guys carry some insurance policy to cover catastrophic injury. If Wood is actually done (hope not but seems possible) he likely only gets the guaranteed part of his contract. I wonder if he has a bunch more coming from some insurance? And do most players?

Sorry for the morbid topic just interested a little in the business aspect of the game.

as far as ive heard it mentioned, yes they do for the most part. but im not sure what the numbers are or if "everyone" does.

also, not sure what the CBA has on this as far as pension and stuff goes.

I think most players do - I think Lloyds is the standard here. With the rash of injuries, I wonder if the premiums for a player with the Bills will increase? I know most injuries are unfortunate circumstances, but I wonder if an underwriter factors the number of injuries to a typical organization and rolls this in to premium costs....

I recall that McGahee had insurance on his legs when he took that hit in the bowl game.

From what I understand, these policies typically only cover them if their carreers end. It does not cover you if your skills are diminished due to the injury if you continue to try and play. I heard an interview regarding ASam Bradford and whether or not his insurance would cover the losses he will face if his draft status is dramatically affected by the injury to his shoulder. The person being interviewed, a supposed expert in these policies, said the insurance company only pays out if his career ended due to the injury, it does not cover lost wages due to the inability to play at the same level. In other words, if Wood came back, played below his potential and then was released after failing to deliver, he most likely would be SOL.

Now you see why the average life span of an NFL player is 3 years, that same type of Injury occurred with Joe Theisman, kinda makes you think Brett Farve has an angel looking out for him...19 years and counting.