Go listen to JP's new Video on BB.com

ICE

Oh please, EVERY backup in the NFL is in the same boat when they get put into a game.  Gimme a berak.  If JPL hadn't been put in, people would've been bitching at MM for keeping Drew in.  In fact, I read several posts during the game stating just that.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

CW

122328[/snapback]

But JP was the 3rd QB, inactive for the game, an emergency QB per L. Roth.

If he got hurt, neither Bledsoe nor Matthews could go in for him.

Totally bone-headed move by MM,

I still say Matthews should've started the 2nd half...

Failing that, Drew should have stayed in the game & let the beating continue.

But JP was the 3rd QB, inactive for the game, an emergency QB per L. Roth.

If he got hurt, neither Bledsoe nor Matthews could go in for him.

Totally bone-headed move by MM,

I still say Matthews should've started the 2nd half...

Failing that, Drew should have stayed in the game & let the beating continue.

122551[/snapback]

Actually, in the 4th quarter (or maybe just late in the 4th? I don't remember), if the 3rd string QB gets hurt, then either of the first two can go back in. So that's not something to worry about in this situation.

If both had the same amount of practice (which it sounds like they did), why not put JPL out there?

CW

Guest Datshit Israel
He gave a little Q&A Session a little while ago.  I really want this kid to play.  I see a kid with all the skills RJ had and then some, but other than looks....the comparisons STOP there.  This kid has fire. He has heart and a sharp mind. You can just see in his eyes he is gonna do what needs to be done.

He addresses his leg. As for as he knows he has full release and is NOT being limited in practice. he felt NO PAIN at NE. the leg got hit and he felt NO PAIN. NO swelling, NO soreness after.  he addresses the fact that he was not in a right place mentally because of concern for the leg. He now knows it's a non issue and he should go out there and put it behind him.

Practice?  he has had next to NONE leading up to NE. He and mathews shared some time on the Scout team. Way to go MM! Put a fuggin rookie in with no practice. Nice move jackass!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

And this is just for Fake Fat Sunny....He says there is NO WAY TO SIMULATE THE CONDITIONS OTHER THAN TO......PLAY!  HA! Even a damn rookie gets it!

Bottom line this kid was fugged by this staff. If they would let him have most of the reps this week I bet he could start.  Hell listen to him, you can tell he is itching to get back out there. He says he hasn't slept well since then because his performance bothered him. Fuggin Sweet!  Been a long time since we had a QB that was that damn concerned!  Lastly, listen to what he says about 'when it's time to go home'....this kid is gonna be good folks!

122302[/snapback]

JP got a video! Dope!

Actually, in the 4th quarter (or maybe just late in the 4th?  I don't remember), if the 3rd string QB gets hurt, then either of the first two can go back in.  So that's not something to worry about in this situation.

If both had the same amount of practice (which it sounds like they did), why not put JPL out there?

CW

122557[/snapback]

If that is the rule, I stand corrected...

If that is the rule, I stand corrected...

122561[/snapback]

Here's a source for you:

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/index.ns...cuments/0-rules

Read the 1995 rule changes:

"The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play."

CW

He gave a little Q&A Session a little while ago.  I really want this kid to play.  I see a kid with all the skills RJ had and then some, but other than looks....the comparisons STOP there.  This kid has fire. He has heart and a sharp mind. You can just see in his eyes he is gonna do what needs to be done.

He addresses his leg. As for as he knows he has full release and is NOT being limited in practice. he felt NO PAIN at NE. the leg got hit and he felt NO PAIN. NO swelling, NO soreness after.  he addresses the fact that he was not in a right place mentally because of concern for the leg. He now knows it's a non issue and he should go out there and put it behind him.

Practice?  he has had next to NONE leading up to NE. He and mathews shared some time on the Scout team. Way to go MM! Put a fuggin rookie in with no practice. Nice move jackass!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

And this is just for Fake Fat Sunny....He says there is NO WAY TO SIMULATE THE CONDITIONS OTHER THAN TO......PLAY!  HA! Even a damn rookie gets it!

Bottom line this kid was fugged by this staff. If they would let him have most of the reps this week I bet he could start.  Hell listen to him, you can tell he is itching to get back out there. He says he hasn't slept well since then because his performance bothered him. Fuggin Sweet!  Been a long time since we had a QB that was that damn concerned!  Lastly, listen to what he says about 'when it's time to go home'....this kid is gonna be good folks!

122302[/snapback]

1- Good info ICE, thanks. :)

2- Your quest to be "right" in the minds of all grows nearly as strong as at this time last year. :w00t:

Have you ever considered that his disregard for his injury now (putting it behind him) and his itching to get out there (and lack of sleep over it) is exactly the result MM intended?

IMHO MM threw him out there specifically to shock him.  Welcome to the big leagues kid - anything can happen at any time - better be ready from now on.  I'm wondering if there was some issue a la McGahee where they felt they needed to give him a jolt of reality.  Regardless of what you think - I think it is obvious JP is better off for the experience - he has a fire and desire to prove himself that simply wasn't there before.

122345[/snapback]

Exactly. He needed that "first hit" on the leg to prove it was better. And the only place you are going to get that is in a game, since they are not supposed to touch the QB in practice (And of course in Sunday night's game MM could pretty much guarantee that JP was going to get hit :) ). I think the "schocker" element of it was to not give him too much time to think about his leg before going in...

I pretty much said as much, though not quite so eloquently, in another thread.

Dude I just told you. He says when it's time to go home (at the end of the day) It actually means it's time to study more!  Watch more film, study more of the playbook etc.  That is an attitude that STARS in this league adapt.

122386[/snapback]

He also said it's "time to take thing this seriously, and you go in and just hope you don't screw up."

My question would be why he wasn't taking this seriously to begin with? Since we're reading so much into his words this evening, I'd say that's hardly the attitude of an NFL star.

He also said it's "time to take thing this seriously, and you go in and just hope you don't screw up."

My question would be why he wasn't taking this seriously to begin with?  Since we're reading so much into his words this evening, I'd say that's hardly the attitude of an NFL star.

122626[/snapback]

Look...I'm not going to predict anything about JP because I've learned my lesson...No more QB predictions here...

Nonetheless from what we have to go on, and from what I have read about the Kid, attitude, drive, Game study, and Leadership have never been problems for JP...

Now ego, brashness, overconfidence, that's another story. But from almost every account I have read the Kid has a great attitude...Heck he's been credited with almost single handedly saving a College Football Program...He's still a Rookie, and he's proven nothing so far. But I doubt his attitude towards the Game has changed much over the past few Months... B)

122302[/snapback]

My comments would be:

1. Great news that he is reporting feeling no pain! I'm definitely psyched to see him recovered. That being said, I hope and assume that the Bills braintrust will do their own objective assessment of issues like having the docs check the injury site for any impacts from playing and determining for themselves that his range of motion is good. Everyone also knows that if you ask any competitive player how the injury is they will say Fine, put me in coach. Even if they won't lie to the coach I do expect and hope they would lie to me and the public about the condition of any injury so that opponents do not target that spot for hard hits or an extra twist as they get up from tackling him. You really aren't naive enought to believe what any player says about his injury recovery are you?

2. Your views on the practice issue are amusingly contradictory. If as you say that PLAYING IS THE ONLY WAY YOU GET BETTER, then why is it so important that he was not given time to practice for he played. Look, either practice is helpful or it isn't. Either there is a legitimate case to be made that playing isn't the ONLY way to get ready or he was not "fugged" at all for not being given practice. It helps our little brains if you make up your mind and choose one argument.

3. I also agree that you can not simulate real play in practice. I have flat-out said that it is important for JP's development to play. What I have been arguing which you seem to be arguing against is that yes Virginia there are other ways to get better in addition to playing.

A. As you point out in your complaints about MM fuggin JP even though it contradicts your argument that playing is the ONLY way to get better , practice with the team is important preparation for playing in games.

B. Practice with your teammates does not equal the intensity or feel or playing in a real NFL game, but playing against pro athletes from your own team is different than playing against college athletes. NFL athletes are all good athletes whereas a few opposing ahtletes are good and some stinct. Pro speed even in practice is faster than college speed. JP will not learn the game as well or as fast (or in some regards at all) merely practicing, but he will improve his game over his play with Tulane level athletes.

4. The mechanical issues are best solved in an activity that does not even involve simulated practice against teammates, it involves a boring reptition of passing drills with a scrub or ball-boy under Wyche's watchful eye who I'm sure is working JP to get him to throw the ball with consistency the same way everytime and as the injury healed to practice dropbacks and rollouts and throwing with balance off the correct foot.

5. The other thing to pay attention to here that I and others are not arguing that JP shoukld be stapled to the bench and never leave it, I am arguing that there are plenty of other ways for him to get playing time besides the all or nothing of start him or not. When the game us out of hand because we are getting smashed or should we ever happen to blow somebody out, JP can easily start off with a quarter of play and gain from it. Even mop-up duty (it is to be hoped with a little more prep than Sunday) is playing time.

Again, start JP when he is ready, not a moment sooner and not a moment later. Unless he is misdirecting opponents it sounds like he is good to go physically. The braintrust should also assess whether this rookie has absorbed the game of a vet adequately to develop his game and help and not hurt his development. The braintrust should also assess whether the mechanical issues have been ironed out enough that bad habits are not ingrained and that he can build true chemistry his receivers rather than setting a precedent which will change as he improves.

Play him and he is ready. See clowns like you that have no real clue about Athletics don't understand. Doing your sport is the only way to get better at it. Film is ok and needed. Practice is ok but the kid has thrown a football all of his life.

ONLY by facing live fire, that is the ONLY way you get ready.

Look...I'm not going to predict anything about JP because I've learned my lesson...No more QB predictions here...

Nonetheless from what we have to go on, and from what I have read about the Kid, attitude, drive, Game study, and Leadership have never been problems for JP...

Now ego, brashness, overconfidence, that's another story. But from almost every account I have read the Kid has a great attitude...Heck he's been credited with almost single handedly saving a College Football Program...He's still a Rookie, and he's proven nothing so far. But I doubt his attitude towards the Game has changed much over the past few Months... B)

122685[/snapback]

No argument there KOK. My post was more in response to reading so much into his words. I hope he proves to be a stud-QB, but I can't help but think that some of us are getting a liitle ahead of ourselves here.