I was at Gander Mtn Sports earlier today.....

The Poojer

I did not think you were preaching. I agree cruelty to animals is morally wrong and it could be argued that hunting is more humane than commercial meat production.

I was wondering if you choose not to eat animals but wear leather (shoes, belt, etc). I never understood that.

I am also not a hunter, only because it never interested me.

Just making conversation.... :lol:

I do have some leather shoes. It's just too hard to find any selection of non-leather shoes. I have a leather football too. :lol: Also, I eat eggs and cheese and yogurt. I feed meat-based foods to my dog and cat.

When I stopped eating meat, about 12 years ago, my goal was to gradually increase my vigilance against animal abuse. It hasn't really played out that way. I guess it turns out that I care, but I don't care enough to make the really tough sacrifices. The morality of these things is something that I struggle with. Another factor is that it's not really in my personality to be a crusader or the kind of guy who is actively at odds with other people. The tendency to just be a regular person who does the regular things is very strong. Also, I happen to have a strong aversion to joining any club or movement. The mob mentality of the extremist vegan types is as frightening to me as the blind lunacy of religious nuts. The only "granfalloon" I belong to is this weird brotherhood of Bills Fans.

The sad fact is that I just don't have the time or energy to always be the responsible consumer. The amount of research and vigilance required gets ridiculous and I kind of need to worry about other things and just live my life. I'm content with trying to be a good person, especially concerning the things that I can control day to day with the people (and animals) that I come into direct contact with. I can't deny there's some hypocrisy there, but I can live with it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought I would see a argument over the merits of the 20 gauge here.

Obviously you don't pay attention. :thumbsup:

It was a while back... I refered to the 20 as a "Lady gun"... Much like my grandfather did... I meant nothing by it as he used to... Cincy took a little bit of umbrage and stated that it was a formidable gun (which I agree).

No doubt about it... The 20 is still the "L-Class"... That again is not a bad thing... Yet, you can argue that younger teens and females would totally have an easier time discharging a 20 then say a 10 or even a 12.

That is all I was pointing out then and now... Which obviuosly Cincy does not remember, I do... Sorry.

Sorry for bringing up the "L-Class" argument. Obviuosly Cincy pointed out that his sister started using one and then moved to a 12... No doubt, like many men do. I am not knocking anything thing about the weapon... It is a logical progression to being good with those types of firearms. Ya, maybe not macho as stepping right into a heavy duty shotgun... But who cares about that.

Obviously you don't pay attention. :thumbsup:

It was a while back... I refered to the 20 as a "Lady gun"... Much like my grandfather did... I meant nothing by it as he used to... Cincy took a little bit of umbrage and stated that it was a formidable gun (which I agree).

No doubt about it... The 20 is still the "L-Class"... That again is not a bad thing... Yet, you can argue that younger teens and females would totally have an easier time discharging a 20 then say a 10 or even a 12.

That is all I was pointing out then and now... Which obviuosly Cincy does not remember, I do... Sorry.

Sorry for bringing up the "L-Class" argument. Obviuosly Cincy pointed out that his sister started using one and then moved to a 12... No doubt, like many men do. I am not knocking anything thing about the weapon... It is a logical progression to being good with those types of firearms. Ya, maybe not macho as stepping right into a heavy duty shotgun... But who cares about that.

If you hunt the upland birds, there is nothing quite like a lightweight SxS 28 gauge with proper stock offset. Quick as a whippet to get on target.

28 gauge doesn't have much relative recoil, and the shells tend to a favorable shot pattern. It's hard to beat a SxS or an O/U for a quick 2nd shot, which is often needed for flushed birds.

Try one out - they are like an extension of your arms.

I'd add that any double-barreled shotgun is a powerful home defense firearm. They have that visceral appearance - and even the .410 is an extremely deadly load. In a hypothetical world, I'd take a shot from a .44 Mag HP before getting shot with any .410 shell.

I know you like to try to manipulate folk's posts to suit you. Chronic, along with adding your signature :thumbsup: garbage.

For the record my little sister was very saddened by her miss that wounded, and went to 12 gauge and single shot to add a layer of insurance in hope that she never again has to re-live what happened - tracking a trail in the snow for an hour to find an injured animal. She was heartbroken.

If you hunt the upland birds, there is nothing quite like a lightweight SxS 28 gauge with proper stock offset. Quick as a whippet to get on target.

28 gauge doesn't have much relative recoil, and the shells tend to a favorable shot pattern. It's hard to beat a SxS or an O/U for a quick 2nd shot, which is often needed for flushed birds.

Try one out - they are like an extension of your arms.

I'd add that any double-barreled shotgun is a powerful home defense firearm. They have that visceral appearance - and even the .410 is an extremely deadly load. In a hypothetical world, I'd take a shot from a .44 Mag HP before getting shot with any .410 shell.

I know you like to try to manipulate folk's posts to suit you. Chronic, along with adding your signature :thumbsup: garbage.

For the record my little sister was very saddened by her miss that wounded, and went to 12 gauge and single shot to add a layer of insurance in hope that she never again has to re-live what happened - tracking a trail in the snow for an hour to find an injured animal. She was heartbroken.

Thanks! Very nice and informative post.

By no means am I trying to manipulate any person's post... In fact I remember you bringing up a gal in our earlier dicussions... I just couldn't remember if it was your sister or not. I am very sympathetic to her story... It must be real hard.

Oh... What is wrong with my sig? Did you click it? It is a very nice song by Sarah McLachlan, Black and White. Isn't she a very nice spokesperson for the SPCA.

Thanks! Very nice and informative post.

By no means am I trying to manipulate any person's post... In fact I remember you bringing up a gal in out earlier dicussions... I just couldn't remember if it was your sister or not. I am very sympathetic to her story... It must be real hard.

Oh... What is wrong with my sig? Did you click it? It is a very nice song by Sarah McLachlan, Black and White. Isn't she a very nice spokesperson for the SPCA.

Not your TSW "signature" - explore the usage of the word.

It is your demeaning, chronic usage of the emoticon :thumbsup: in many of your posts, ever since it became available is irksome. Mocking.

Stop using it; few poster do use it.

It is your demeaning, chronic usage of the emoticon :thumbsup: in many of your posts, ever since it became available is irksome. Mocking.

I am sorry you take it that way... Really, I mean nothing demeaning by it... Most of the time I like to joke and I always thought it a good way of lightening the mood... I am using it the exact opposite way you take it...

I am so sorry. Sometimes I wish that I could meet people in person... Many would take my mood very different. I put ALL of you guys ABOVE me... You can take this with my utmost and sincerest humility.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: