Returning to Video Games as an Adult?

ajzepp

So Fez had been selling me on the idea of an xbox 360 for a while, and I finally gave in. Now, while I am astonished at how much I SUCK at these games, I'm actually having a really good time. Not only is xbox live way cool (particularly the netflix streaming!!), but games have come so far since I last played consistently (playstation 1 back in the mid 90s) that it's almost overwhelming.

I'm 37 years old and I grew up on the Atari 2600. Back when I was a kid, it was like a national headline when Pac Man was released on that console. Even before that, I remember my parents had something called "Odyssey", which is where you put these big plastic things that have an image on them over the tv screen and simple lights would correspond with parts of the picture as you played the game. I was huge into the Sega Genesis and Nintendo NES, and then finally got around to the Playstation.

Anyway, like I said above, I'm really having a lot of fun with it (particularly GTA IV), but it's also making me feel semi-retarded. There are so many more buttons, triggers, bumpers, sticks, and pads to coordinate that I often feel lost and uncoordinated. With the exception of a match just a few minutes ago on Top Spin 3, I have pretty much been thoroughly obliterated by whoever I've played online.

Any of you guys (or girls) get back into gaming as an adult after being away from it for a while? What are some of your favorite games and what did you grow up playing? Did you feel overwhelmed at all when you got back into it, or is it just me?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 26 and I've had a Wii for a few years. I thought of that as more of a casual gaming thing though. Playing the sports games and the Wii Fit with the occasional game that Wii's controls enhanced (like golf or carnival games).

But I just recently bought a PS3. I'll be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed when I was only playing sports games. But then I downloaded that redone version of Turtles in Time from the old arcade and it was a blast. I realized that I should probably try out other types like RPG and FPS, etc. But it's been a long time since I've been into that. I'm thinking of trying out Gamefly. Anyone else use that?

A good friend who retired 2 years ago stays up playing till 2 or 3 in the morning.He is 65 and loves playing.

lol, that's awesome! Do you know if he plays online at all?

Sounds like you just described my father.

He is a huge Tiger Woods golf fan.

That game is on my short list. I'm pretty fascinated by the idea of challenging people online (from all over the world, literally) to a round of golf, a tennis match, free mode in GTA, etc. Not many of my friends keep the crazy hours I do, so it's fun to know I can always find an opponent online.

So Fez had been selling me on the idea of an xbox 360 for a while, and I finally gave in. Now, while I am astonished at how much I SUCK at these games, I'm actually having a really good time. Not only is xbox live way cool (particularly the netflix streaming!!), but games have come so far since I last played consistently (playstation 1 back in the mid 90s) that it's almost overwhelming.

I'm 37 years old and I grew up on the Atari 2600. Back when I was a kid, it was like a national headline when Pac Man was released on that console. Even before that, I remember my parents had something called "Odyssey", which is where you put these big plastic things that have an image on them over the tv screen and simple lights would correspond with parts of the picture as you played the game. I was huge into the Sega Genesis and Nintendo NES, and then finally got around to the Playstation.

Anyway, like I said above, I'm really having a lot of fun with it (particularly GTA IV), but it's also making me feel semi-retarded. There are so many more buttons, triggers, bumpers, sticks, and pads to coordinate that I often feel lost and uncoordinated. With the exception of a match just a few minutes ago on Top Spin 3, I have pretty much been thoroughly obliterated by whoever I've played online.

Any of you guys (or girls) get back into gaming as an adult after being away from it for a while? What are some of your favorite games and what did you grow up playing? Did you feel overwhelmed at all when you got back into it, or is it just me?

I hear ya there. Try Burnout Revenge (not Paradise, Revenge) on XBOX 360 if you like racing games and smashing things up. You can get it cheap used, it is FAST, fun, LOUD, and very very easy to play. I don't know how much on-line interaction there is anymore though, since it's an older game.

I hear ya there. Try Burnout Revenge (not Paradise, Revenge) on XBOX 360 if you like racing games and smashing things up. You can get it cheap used, it is FAST, fun, LOUD, and very very easy to play. I don't know how much on-line interaction there is anymore though, since it's an older game.

Very cool, thanks man! I'll definitely add that to my list

So far I have GTA IV, Ep. of Liberty City (on the way), WWE Smackdown v. Raw (on the way), NHL 10, and Top Spin 3. I suck at all of them, so if Burnout Revenge is a bit easier, I'll welcome the change! lol

Very cool, thanks man! I'll definitely add that to my list

So far I have GTA IV, Ep. of Liberty City (on the way), WWE Smackdown v. Raw (on the way), NHL 10, and Top Spin 3. I suck at all of them, so if Burnout Revenge is a bit easier, I'll welcome the change! lol

More or less, you just have to steer, keep pedal to the metal, and don't wipe-out. It is much faster than any of the other racing games I've played, they all seem like slow motion in comparison.

I don't think you'll care for the wrestling one, whole lot of button-combos needed for those games.

More or less, you just have to steer, keep pedal to the metal, and don't wipe-out. It is much faster than any of the other racing games I've played, they all seem like slow motion in comparison.

I don't think you'll care for the wrestling one, whole lot of button-combos needed for those games.

Looks lke the people on Amazon totally agree with you....very high rating for that game! I'll definitely pick it up :blink:

Looks lke the people on Amazon totally agree with you....very high rating for that game! I'll definitely pick it up :huh:

You might want to try returning to chicks. I'm not sure if you remember them, but they are just as fun today as they were waaaaaay back when.. :blink:

Looks lke the people on Amazon totally agree with you....very high rating for that game! I'll definitely pick it up :huh:
Don't buy it new, wtf? :blink:

I don't know if you loathe Gamespot like you do Blockbuster, but I bet you could get it there for about $15 or so.

but it's also making me feel semi-retarded. There are so many more buttons, triggers, bumpers, sticks, and pads to coordinate that I often feel lost and uncoordinated.

This may sound like an insult, but it's not -- you should check out "Pac Man Championship Edition." It's on Xbox Live Arcade, and you can download it for 800 MS points ($10). It's like the original Pac Man, so you only have to use the right thumb stick, but it's SOOO smooth and gets CRAZY fast. It's a blast, even though most people I tell that to don't believe me. When they eventually get around to playing it though, they're hooked. :blink:

It's nice if you have a spare few minutes to play.

Also on Xbox Live Arcade are some awesome board games, including "Settlers of Catan," and "Carcasonne." Catan can take awhile to play, but Carcasonne only takes 5-10 minutes, so is great for a quick game - and you really have to use your brain for both of them.

Speaking of your brain, if you want to get frustrated doing puzzles (in a fun way), check out Braid. It's like Super Mario Brothers on the surface, but after awhile you'll realize it's nothing like that. Hard to explain, but it's definitely an awesome game - $10-$15 on XBLA.

Another great XBLA game is "Shadow Complex." This one has a few more buttons you need to use, so you might have coordination issues, but it's also a lot of fun.

You can download demos for free -- although you might need a harddrive since I don't know how large your internal memory is - probably only 512M.