Can someone give me a quick lesson on SQL?

The Poojer

i have an interview on monday, and SQL is mentioned in the 'recommended' knowlege set....from my very limited knowlege of SQL(wikipedia) and people I know that work at the company...i am certain that there is no practical need to know how to write SQL queries...however, I would like to at least be able to have some better idea of what it is and how it could relate to the position....if anyone can give a dumbed down explanation, I would greatly appreciate it

i have an interview on monday, and SQL is mentioned in the 'recommended' knowlege set....from my very limited knowlege of SQL(wikipedia) and people I know that work at the company...i am certain that there is no practical need to know how to write SQL queries...however, I would like to at least be able to have some better idea of what it is and how it could relate to the position....if anyone can give a dumbed down explanation, I would greatly appreciate it

http://www.free-ebooks-download.org/free-e...For-Dummies.php

Angle for a free lunch.

An idea of what the position is would be helpful in identifying how SQL may relate and therefore offer some "what it is" information.

Most modern database applications have front ends where you don't need to write the query. Just do some point and clicking from the data sets and the operation you want to perform and it will build the query for you

But to write one of your own, you need to know the operation you want to perform and the data set to perform it on. Then build a statement like OP1 data1 OP2 data2 OP3 data3...

For example (and my SQL is way rusty) to get your total posts you could do something like...

SELECT user.total_posts FROM tsw_database WHERE user_id IS "Poojer"

like access....right? that was kind of what i was thinking in reading about it....

Most modern database applications have front ends where you don't need to write the query. Just do some point and clicking from the data sets and the operation you want to perform and it will build the query for you

But to write one of your own, you need to know the operation you want to perform and the data set to perform it on. Then build a statement like OP1 data1 OP2 data2 OP3 data3...

For example (and my SQL is way rusty) to get your total posts you could do something like...

SELECT user.total_posts FROM tsw_database WHERE user_id IS "Poojer"

and alot of you don't....i recently began following Thurman & Daryl Talley...have been following TO and Maybin for a while now....TT and Daryl are a hoot on there...they also just started involving Maybin in some of their back and forth....if you aren't doing so already.....for comedy sake, follow these guys.... :lol:

Will they be at the Monday interview?

How'd this reply to the Twitter thread end up in the SQL thread? :lol:

I'm guessing either there was an SQL error on the server, Jim hacked the SQL database, or operator error. I suspect the latter :(

All wrong. His posts about whining over a $6.98 book with knowledge in it he may be need to get a job,and his exuberance's over Twittering Bill's players 15 years off the roster are to close to miss.

i really wanted to get something really in plain english and kind of a high level view which i got from dev, which was kind of my thought when after reading some stuff online.....SQL drives the likes of Access....I guess i really wanted validation that my thought process was correct....I didn't want to put too much effort into something that really wasn't going to be necessary to fill my head over....but thanks for your suggestion.... :lol:

Buy it? Used book store maybe?

i really wanted to get something really in plain english and kind of a high level view which i got from dev, which was kind of my thought when after reading some stuff online.....SQL drives the likes of Access....I guess i really wanted validation that my thought process was correct....I didn't want to put too much effort into something that really wasn't going to be necessary to fill my head over....but thanks for your suggestion.... :lol:

No SQL doesn't drive it. The internals of each relational database is unique

SQL is more like a common form of communication

i really wanted to get something really in plain english and kind of a high level view which i got from dev, which was kind of my thought when after reading some stuff online.....SQL drives the likes of Access....I guess i really wanted validation that my thought process was correct....I didn't want to put too much effort into something that really wasn't going to be necessary to fill my head over....but thanks for your suggestion.... :(

How can you see what I'm doing? :lol::(

ok, drive probably wasnt what i wanted to say....SQL is a query on relational databases that you can write as if you are writing basic or cobol code....access already has the underlying code built in....is that more a valid statement?

No SQL doesn't drive it. The internals of each relational database is unique

SQL is more like a common form of communication

Don't bs about how much you know, it's pretty easy to determine when someone has very little knowledge. But you're always ready and willing to learn, of course.

ok, drive probably wasnt what i wanted to say....SQL is a query on relational databases that you can write as if you are writing basic or cobol code....access already has the underlying code built in....is that more a valid statement?

Much better statement :lol:

And a bit of advice, in the interview don't focus entirely on Access. Access (and Base the OpenOffice.org :( equivalent) are small scale solutions. Larger enterprises use SQLServer, MySQL, Postgres, and Oracle (which I confess little knowledge about). Do some Googling about those database solutions to get an idea what you're talking about

Don't bs about how much you know, it's pretty easy to determine when someone has very little knowledge. But you're always ready and willing to learn, of course.

Excellent advice. Don't BS about what you Googled. Get a basic understanding of the concepts and theories. Access (Jet Database btw), Oracle, SQL Server, etc are the current solutions. If you show an understanding of concepts and theories you will show that you can work with the current solution and more importantly be able to adapt to whatever the next great software release is