Marty Schottenheimer

rpcolosi

I'm not the type of guy to believe in superstition or "the unexplained", but I really believe that Marty Schottenheimer will bring this team a Super Bowl victory (after a couple of years of rebuilding). I have no real reasoning to back this up, just a hunch that he and our beloved team are due.

He has history here, and I can't think of anybody who yearns for, has been so close they can taste it, or deserves a Super Bowl victory more than we do, other than Marty. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but if we win a Super Bowl under Marty Schottenheimer, that's proof that there is justice in the world.

You know, the symmetry of it all would be great. I'd have no problem if Marty was brought in to head the team.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty was on Sirius today at 1PM (Red Zone) and said the reports of him coaching the Bills are a complete shock to him. He has no "itch" to get back into question... blah, blah. He never closed the door on it but clearly was not tipping his hand.

Greetings! First time posting for me. Long time reader of this forum, season ticket holder, lifelong fan and not about to jump ship.

Marty S. is my absolute top choice for all the reasons posted. This guy wins and wins by pounding it. Once you hit October here, that's the way to play winning football. I don’t think we're going to get another Jim Kelly anytime soon. Regarding Marty not winning a Super Bowl, neither have we. Let's get together and remedy that piece of history for everyone.

Why i s everyone so quick to say he cannot win the big one.....Let's visit his so called failures......Umm, arguably the one drive that defines John Elway! (ok, maybe you can blame him) 2 Byner Fumbles nope...... The Chiefs, were good, but never had a the Offensive talent to support those great defenses! In San Diego, hew was 14-2 and the kicker Choked and Brees was too young! I say Bring Marty in and give hime as long as DJ and I bet he will have a better record than Cowher or Shannahan.... The west coast offense is so cliche.....We already have most of the personnel here for Marty to be succesful...2 good backs..... A good Secondary....MArty will attract great players.....They know he wins!

Bottom line...I agree.....what a story an Ex bill returns t get the monkey of the Region and teams back!

Ralph....Bring him in! If anyone is collecting money for the Bring Marty Home billboard I got $50 to offer!

The fans are so desperate for a winner of any kind they will take a guy who rarely wins a playoff game and was fired because of that.

The is no doubt that given 3 years he might have the Bills in the playoffs, maybe. But then he couldn't get past Buffalo while he was in KC, couldn't get past Denver while in Cleveland, couldn't get past the Patriots in San Diego. 8 time division champ, but never even won an AFC Championship, much less a super bowl.

14-2 and lose to the wildcard Patriots at home

At this point if Wilson really has opened his wallet to build a winner, Marty should be a last resort and not a top choice.

Brian Billick got it done with a scrub QB, great defense and an offense that could run the ball, I'd sooner see him get another chance then see someone as old as Marty try and build another winner.

The fans are so desperate for a winner of any kind they will take a guy who rarely wins a playoff game and was fired because of that.

The is no doubt that given 3 years he might have the Bills in the playoffs, maybe. But then he couldn't get past Buffalo while he was in KC, couldn't get past Denver while in Cleveland, couldn't get past the Patriots in San Diego. 8 time division champ, but never even won an AFC Championship, much less a super bowl.

14-2 and lose to the wildcard Patriots at home

At this point if Wilson really has opened his wallet to build a winner, Marty should be a last resort and not a top choice.

Brian Billick got it done with a scrub QB, great defense and an offense that could run the ball, I'd sooner see him get another chance then see someone as old as Marty try and build another winner.

Disagree Rabbit, on Billick. He's a supposed offensive coach that never had a good offense. His record was 80-64 (.556). He was fortunate enough to have an ultra-talented defensive squad and to his credit, hired some good defensive coordinators.

It's hard to evaluate Billick because like Cowher, he was in a very strong, well-run organization that has carried on it's success after his departure.

Also there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtowYApQNnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaca7DVmac&NR=1

As panelist Richard Dawson remarked after Billick's loss: "Failed at football. Failed at Match Game. Where will you go now?"

Seriously though, I've never been impressed with the guy. JMO.

I've been saying it for awhile. We need him. this is the perfect team and perfect situation for it. We need a guy with his personality and his ideas. we need a coach who can take guys and make them better than they are.

He comes from arguably the best Bills coach of all time's lineage in Lou Saban... Coaches such as Wisenhunt, Cowher, Dungy have all come from his lineage. He won't be as pricey as say Cowher or Shannahan but he will want to bring in his own guys to coach - by all means.

He has never been to the super bowl.. we have never won it. I know its cheesy but that be one heck of a story. I'd really hope Brandon and Ralph at least offer him an interview and get his take on our situation. We just really could use an old school coach such as him.

Can we buy a billboard asking for him to come back home to Buffalo? (and Gabriel as GM and move brandon to team president/CEO as per Sully?)

Go Away!

Right now I'll take a 1st round playoff exit over a 3 and 13 season! Marty is a winner, and a great

motivator! Hey, didn't he beat the heavily favored Oilers to advance to the AFC Championship game

against The Bills in the 93 season? So he has won a play off game, right?

Go Bills!!!

Squish The Fish!!!

with Schottenheimer you may get to the playoffs, you just won't win any games once you get there

Agree, he has said several times on Sirius NFL that he thinks very highly of the western NY area and it's people He might be able to light a fire under some of these players. Wonder if Ted C would come back to Buffalo and leave that awesome UFL job. going back to the 3-4 easier than you think, all Buffalo needs is a NT, Shaun Rogers could be had for a 4th rounder, Jamal Williams may be cut, Wilfork and Hampton are FA, Johnson-Rogers-Stroud as Buffalo's front three.

Schobel-Mitchell-Poz-Maybin as the Linebackers...Buffalo might stop the run?

Marty would be a good choice

Ted is horrible-

he's been fired by 3 different teams after the Bills for his inept coaching

save us from the horror

Sorry if this was already posted. The time stamp on this story is today at 2:22 pm EST.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...hing-candidate/

"A day after Marty Schottenheimer's name surfaced as a potential candidate to coach the Buffalo Bills, Schottenheimer shot down the idea.

"I was a bit taken back," Schottenheimer said today on Sirius NFL Radio. "It's flattering but there's nothing there."

When asked by Alex Marvez whether he might be persuaded to work again as either a coach or a general manager, Schottenheimer didn't completely close the door, but he came awfully close, saying he views being a general manager as totally different from what he's done in the past, and saying that he thinks he's finished with coaching as well.

"I'll be very candid with you and say it's nice to think that people would consider you," Schottenheimer said, "but the reality of it is is that after 30 great years I'm really not going to go back down that road again."

Plenty of coaches have said they're not going to return to the sidelines and then changed their minds, but for now, the 66-year-old Schottenheimer comes across like a man who is content to be retired."

Why i s everyone so quick to say he cannot win the big one.....Let's visit his so called failures......Umm, arguably the one drive that defines John Elway! (ok, maybe you can blame him) 2 Byner Fumbles nope...... The Chiefs, were good, but never had a the Offensive talent to support those great defenses! In San Diego, hew was 14-2 and the kicker Choked and Brees was too young! I say Bring Marty in and give hime as long as DJ and I bet he will have a better record than Cowher or Shannahan.... The west coast offense is so cliche.....We already have most of the personnel here for Marty to be succesful...2 good backs..... A good Secondary....MArty will attract great players.....They know he wins!

Bottom line...I agree.....what a story an Ex bill returns t get the monkey of the Region and teams back!

Ralph....Bring him in! If anyone is collecting money for the Bring Marty Home billboard I got $50 to offer!

What on earth are you talking about?? The 14-2 season was with Rivers, not Brees. The Chargers were far and away the better team, but Marty screwed it up again. Why did he go for it on 4th and 11? Why did he stop wearing the headset that game? Lose a playoff game here and there, that's one thing. 5-13 is a trend. And now he's 66, going on 67. PASS.

You sound just like a Jauron apologist.

Dead Dick apologists were quick to find "reasons" (a/k/a excuses) why he was unable to produce the desired result (a winning record), and none of those excuses were due to Dick.

And now you are doing for Chokenheimer. Marty has a 5-13 playoff record. Your rationale? Not his fault.

I used to be rah rah rah after marty until i took a long look at his career, the guy knows how to build a winner, just not a playoff winner.

While Shanahan is still out there I'll hold out hope for him, this franchise needs a proven SB winner in the worst way.

I think I'd go after Brian Billick before Marty at this point, he knows what it takes to get there and win.

Does he? Take a quick look at his career. He was considered to be an offensive 'genius' when he was the OC for the Vikings, with all-world talents with Carter, Moss, Cunningham, Robert Smith, et. al. Most OCs would probably excel with that group. So he becomes the head coach in Baltimore, but never, the whole time he was there, could ever get an offense that could do any more than the bare minimum. He had an all-world defence and managed, thanks in large part to Ray Lewis' leadership, win a SB. He was never able to develop a QB or an offense in his time there, and his playoff failures outnumbered his playoff successes. That, combined with his arrogant, abrasive personality, finally combined to get him fired. No NFL club has looked at him since, and probably with good reason.

Billick would be no better a choice than Jim Haslett or any of the other retreads whose names have been tossed around here. I would take Marty any day over Billick.

Does he? Take a quick look at his career. He was considered to be an offensive 'genius' when he was the OC for the Vikings, with all-world talents with Carter, Moss, Cunningham, Robert Smith, et. al. Most OCs would probably excel with that group. So he becomes the head coach in Baltimore, but never, the whole time he was there, could ever get an offense that could do any more than the bare minimum. He had an all-world defence and managed, thanks in large part to Ray Lewis' leadership, win a SB. He was never able to develop a QB or an offense in his time there, and his playoff failures outnumbered his playoff successes. That, combined with his arrogant, abrasive personality, finally combined to get him fired. No NFL club has looked at him since, and probably with good reason.

Billick would be no better a choice than Jim Haslett or any of the other retreads whose names have been tossed around here. I would take Marty any day over Billick.

Maybe 10 years ago I'd take Marty, not at age 67...Plus he has stated he doesn't want to come out of retirement. Please don't equate Jim Haslett with Brian Billick, one has won a SB and the other couldn't get his team to a winning record.

Haslett 7 years 1 division champ 47-61 MINUS 14 games under .500 record and only went to the playoffs his first year, which means the team was already good. His last season at NO he went 3-13, then as interim in St Louis 2-10. He sucks

Billick 9 years, 80-64 16 games over .500 SB 2 division championships, and in the same division as the Steeler's

Billick is not my first choice for sure, but he is a SB winner and knows what it takes to get there. Also, he know how to motivate a team and manage a game. I'm thinking his second time around he does some things differently.