College coaches to think about

njbillsman

I could deal with Schiano, Carroll or Stoops. The rest, no way. But there is no way Carroll or Stoops are leaving SoCal or Norman for Buffalo anyway. Either way, I hope we hire someone with an NFL background. The college game and the NFL are just two different beasts nowadays...

Greg Schiano

Pete Carroll

Bob Stoops

Mack Brown

Rich Brooks

Charlie Weis

Gary Patterson

Chris Petersen

My personal favorite would be Schiano, but I am from Jersey. Weis a close second.

If we go the college route there are only four names in my opinion.

1. Jim Harbaugh

2. Bob Stoops

3. Kirk Ferentz

4. Chris Peterson

Prefer the first two because I think they want to destroy the other team on Gameday. That would be a nice change of pace for the Bills. I love Leach but I put him more in the category of Mike Martz and I think he might be in over his head as a HC.

Sorry to double dip but here goes:

As I and others have pointed out, the team would do well to hire a real GM or football czar before hiring a head coach. That said, Jim Harbaugh should get some consideration. I don't know what his buyout at Stanford would be but he's earmarked for an NFL Head Coaching job. In fact Harbaugh was interviewed for the job which eventually went to Rex Ryan, with the Jets.

This is an impressive set of credentials for a young coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

My nephew attended the University of San Diego during the 3 years that Harbaugh was coach. Harbaugh completely turned the program around. I think they won one game the year before he arrived. After starting out 7-4 in his first season, San Diego ran off two consecutive 11-1 seasons. In the process he developed quarterback Josh Johnson who Tampa Bay made a 2nd round pick last year. He is an excellent offensive mind and teacher of quarterbacks. If anyone could "coach up" Trent Edwards, it would be Jim Harbaugh.

In 2007, Harbaugh's first year at Stanford, his unranked team beat #1 ranked USC 24-23. USC entered the game as 41 point favorites making the Stanford win, statistically the greatest upset in college football history. Stanford, a perennial bottom dweller in the Pac Ten is currently ranked at #14 in the latest AP poll.

This year he again beat USC, 55-21 (last weekend).

Harbaugh has twice turned college programs around in one season. He was an excellent former NFL quarterback and he did his apprenticeship as an NFL assistant coach. His Dad is a longtime football coach and of course his brother John is head coach of the Baltimore Ravens.

This is just about as good as it gets for a guy without NFL head coaching experience.

If we go the college route there are only four names in my opinion.

1. Jim Harbaugh

2. Bob Stoops

3. Kirk Ferentz

4. Chris Peterson

Prefer the first two because I think they want to destroy the other team on Gameday. That would be a nice change of pace for the Bills. I love Leach but I put him more in the category of Mike Martz and I think he might be in over his head as a HC.

I think there are some other to consider but I just listed the ones who I thought would be attracted to the NFL. Kirk Ferentz would be my first choice, but I just don't think he is leaving Iowa. I just forgot about Jim, he will be in the NFL soon and should be considered.

Weis style fits the NFL better then college and I think he is unfairlycriticized for the job he does with ND.

I think there are some other to consider but I just listed the ones who I thought would be attracted to the NFL. Kirk Ferentz would be my first choice, but I just don't think he is leaving Iowa. I just forgot about Jim, he will be in the NFL soon and should be considered.

Weis style fits the NFL better then college and I think he is unfairlycriticized for the job he does with ND.

I think any coach that wants to be the aggressor and doesn't fear the other team... but wants to attack the other team will get my vote.

Jim Harbaugh is certainly a consideration if we hire an experienced GM and they deem him a worthy candidate.

One thing of note -here is an old report from The Associated Press from 1997:

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Jim Harbaugh was hoping to settle a dispute by having a conversation with former Buffalo Bills quarterback and NBC analyst Jim Kelly.

Instead, Harbaugh settled the dispute with his fists.

Harbaugh sustained a small fracture in his right hand Saturday when he slugged Kelly. Harbaugh now stands to miss at least two games - including Nov. 9 against the Bengals - and two pay checks.

''I consider this something personal between Jim Kelly and I. We settled things,'' Harbaugh said.

Apparently, Kelly had questioned Harbaugh's toughness while working as an analyst.

How about no to college coaches. For one, there hasn't been a good college coach that made the transition to the NFL successfully in I don't know how long, with numerous high profile failures along the way. Once they realize just how grueling and draining the NFL is and that you can't simply go out there and expect to win every week because you have much better talent than the other teams you are playing 90% of the time, they don't want any part of it.

Pete Carroll might be one of the best college coaches ever, but he was a dismal failure as an NFL coach. Same with Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, etc, etc, etc(at least the dismal failure part)

I would much rather prefer a coach who has shown he is a winner at the NFL level on a consistent basis. Shanahan, Dungy, Cowher, Schottenheimer(we will go to the playoffs every year and lose, but its better than what we have right now), Billick, and Holmgren all would be good choices. Gruden wears out his welcome quickly and usually leaves a big mess of aging veterans and young players who have never been coached or developed properly in his wake.

Please, no college coaches. Plenty of teams have already tried and failed with that route. Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.