It's pretty obvious to me now

PromoTheRobot

After reading the Fassell post below, it reminded me exactly who is to blame for this mess we are in. TOM DONAHOE! He is bent on riding Bledsoe to the bitter end, oblivious to what is obvious to everyone on the planet: that the "genius" got swindled!

As far as drafting JP, that is not an admission of a mistake. TD never intended JP to play for the next couple of years. Despite what Ben Rothlisburger is doing in Pittsburgh, it's accepted practice for rookie QB's to backup a year or two. So TD had every intention of playing Drew the entire year.

If it's true that Fassell's "bad interview" was his refusal to play Drew no matter what, then I'm afraid we have a wussie head coach who is just a TD puppet. That post about the Matthews/JP confusion in New England makes me very worried. The way JP played certainly makes me think that could have happened.

By the way...if MM says JP is not 100%, why the F*** did he put him in the game???

PTR

After reading the Fassell post below, it reminded me exactly who is to blame for this mess we are in.  TOM DONAHOE!  He is bent on riding Bledsoe to the bitter end, oblivious to what is obvious to everyone on the planet:  that the "genius" got swindled!

As far as drafting JP, that is not an admission of a mistake.  TD never intended JP to play for the next couple of years.  Despite what Ben Rothlisburger is doing in Pittsburgh, it's accepted practice for rookie QB's to backup a year or two.  So TD had every intention of playing Drew the entire year.

If it's true that Fassell's "bad interview" was his refusal to play Drew no matter what, then I'm afraid we have a wussie head coach who is just a TD puppet.  That post about the Matthews/JP confusion in New England makes me very worried.  The way JP played certainly makes me think that could have happened.

By the way...if MM says JP is not 100%, why the F*** did he put him in the game???

PTR

121538[/snapback]

I think you are dead on. TD has tied his legacy to Drew Bledsoe. He is not going to go down easy.

I think you are dead on.  TD has tied his legacy to Drew Bledsoe. He is not going to go down easy.

121544[/snapback]

I agree on the reasoning, but not the motivation. JP isn't ready to play as Sunday night showed, and as long as JP is an unknown quantity, TD looks he's set up the Bills for the future.

It would be nice if they, you know, won a majority of their games one of these years. :doh:

Taking the idea at hand......you can kind of equate it to Sabres GM Darcy Regier and his insistence on playing favorites with Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt in the Mike Peca trade a few years back. Come hell or highwater, these guys are playing. These moves were made on their watches, and they don't want to look bad, even if the on-field / on-ice performances are horrific to view.

I agree on the reasoning, but not the motivation. JP isn't ready to play as Sunday night showed, and as long as JP is an unknown quantity, TD looks he's set up the Bills for the future.

dude...

1) I've got news for you... Bledsoe ain't ready to play.

2) You are judging JP based on 5 plays in

mop up duty against a team that was playing at home and had their collective ears pinned back all game long?

Plus...

1) MM says JPs only options were about 3 or 4 plays that he could run ... now there's a great way to evaluate a performance.

2) if there is in credence to the story out of Pittsburgh re: JP just thrown in willy-nilly, then how would you expect him to perform?

If JP wasn't ready MM wouldn't have put him in there... and certainly would not have called passing plays... he would have simply handed the ball off and hit the showers.

So what if he isn't ready... who the hell cares? If he stink, he stinks... at least he's gaining knowledge of the position. Bledsoe stinks... and he gets worse every game. What's the worse thing that could happen to JP??? ... Injury? So what, he's got a whole year to heal. spoon fed QBs suck. If he continues to ride pine he's not going to gain a godamn thing.

Taking the idea at hand......you can kind of equate it to Sabres GM Darcy Regier and his insistence on playing favorites with Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt in the Mike Peca trade a few years back.  Come hell or highwater, these guys are playing.  These moves were made on their watches, and they don't want to look bad, even if the on-field / on-ice performances are horrific to view.

121574[/snapback]

As a sabres addict, you must be dying this year.

As I have been saying for a while, IT WAS NEVER INTENDED FOR JP TO BE ON THE FIELD THIS YEAR.

He was drafted as a 2-3 year project. He was very raw. Hence the Drew Extension. I would love it if he came along faster than that, but the reality is this is not what was intended.

Now sit drew and let matthews start!

dude...

1) I've got news for you... Bledsoe ain't ready to play. 

2) You are judging JP based on 5 plays in

mop up duty against a team that was playing at home and had their collective ears pinned back all game long? 

Plus...

1) MM says JPs only options were about 3 or 4 plays that he could run ... now there's a great way to evaluate a performance.

2) if there is in credence to the story out of Pittsburgh re: JP just thrown in willy-nilly, then how would you expect him to perform?

If JP wasn't ready MM wouldn't have put him in there... and certainly would not have called passing plays... he would have simply handed the ball off and hit the showers.

So what if he isn't ready... who the hell cares?  If he stink, he stinks... at least he's gaining knowledge of the position.  Bledsoe stinks... and he gets worse every game.  What's the worse thing that could happen to JP??? ... Injury?  So what, he's got a whole year to heal. spoon fed QBs suck.  If he continues to ride pine he's not going to gain a godamn thing.

121587[/snapback]

I pretty sure we basically agree with all you have said regarding JP – my point is that Donahoe is trying to save his job. Of course JP was thrown to the wolves. The biggest thing is perception. Donahoe is going to have ended up trading (around) the 10th, 43rd, and 144th picks for the 22nd pick in the draft – Losman, and on paper that is a fleecing that is embarrassingly one-sided in favor of the Cowboys. If Losman plays, and plays inconsistently like most rookie QBs play, the hue and cry for Donahoe to take a walk may start this season and he might be gone this offseason. If JP sits and remains mostly an unknown quantity going into next year, Donahoe can still spin Losman as a future QB star and keep his job until 2005 because there will be no evidence that he isn’t.

Donahoe’s entire last offseason seems to me like a man who was trying to buy one extra year at his job while mortgaging the future. How are they ever going to compete with New England, where Belichick has no year to year pressure and can continue to get great value in the draft by not panicking? That Baltimore trade is a good example - they ended up giving up Wilfork and Wilson to get Kyle Boller.

TD needs to go. Buffalo needs to win more than it needs spin.