Good year to draft a QB near the top anyway

fairfaxbill

This would be a good year to draft near the top anyway. I always thought if we were in the top 8 picks, we would trade it since the salaries are too high. However, we need a franchise QB who can play in cold weather (i.e. Jimmy Clausen). The money for 1st Round QBs is crazy anyway so we might as well draft one at the top. 5 years and $65 million should do the trick. Maybin is getting $25 million over 5 years to jump on the pile before the whistle blows.

We could also draft Bill Stull in the later rounds.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a good year to draft near the top anyway. I always thought if we were in the top 8 picks, we would trade it since the salaries are too high. However, we need a franchise QB who can play in cold weather (i.e. Jimmy Clausen). The money for 1st Round QBs is crazy anyway so we might as well draft one at the top. 5 years and $65 million should do the trick. Maybin is getting $25 million over 5 years to jump on the pile before the whistle blows.

We could also draft Bill Stull in the later rounds.

Negative....we need to build this team from the lines out. Stuff the trenches with real football players and watch them make your skill position players look twice as good. Remember, for every Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco there is a Jemarcus Russell and Alex Smith. Drafting a QB that high is a crap shoot and if it fails it can set the whole organization back...bigtime.

Negative....we need to build this team from the lines out. Stuff the trenches with real football players and watch them make your skill position players look twice as good. Remember, for every Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco there is a Jemarcus Russell and Alex Smith. Drafting a QB that high is a crap shoot and if it fails it can set the whole organization back...bigtime.

This is 100% correct. The Colts, Patriots, and Steelers were built lines out. Just look at their draft histories. As Bill always foams at the mouth when we don't draft a lineman in rounds 1, 2, and 3, he knows enough to know that dynasties are built inside out.

This is 100% correct. The Colts, Patriots, and Steelers were built lines out. Just look at their draft histories. As Bill always foams at the mouth when we don't draft a lineman in rounds 1, 2, and 3, he knows enough to know that dynasties are built inside out.

I'm pretty sure Bill Polian started the rebuilding process with Peyton Manning.

I think there are so many draftable qbs that getting one early wouldnt neccesarily be the best option. I agree with the line out theory but want a stud dt. I also wouldnt mind a ot but i think a very good qb could be had in the 2nd. Between Locker, McCoy, Clausen, Tebow, and Bradford one should be available in the second round or even poss the 3rd. Line out is a great idea but the picks need to be QUALITY. which with the bills track record....

yes teams are built from the inside out but if there's a quarterback that you think is going to be a franchise quarterback available in the first round and your a team in need of a qb (the bills) you take that quarterback. The steelers, colts and giants all drafted stud quarterbacks in the first round and before they drafted their franchise qb they were all average teams, the colts extremely horrible. A good qb turns an average team into a contender bottom line.

It seems to me that drafting Mike williams at #4 set the whole organization back...bigtime.

You're absolutely right man, my point is that from one QB to the next you just never know....

Good point, but the entire draft is a crapshoot so we might as well take a shot at a top flight QB since we need one. We tried building the line last time with a top 5 pick, we went Offensive Line. That pick didn't dress for the Redskins today after taking a few years off to hit 400 lbs.

It seems to me that drafting Mike williams at #4 set the whole organization back...bigtime.

Yeah but Donahoe should have known that clown didn't even like playing football and had no passion for the game whatsoever....

Good point, but the entire draft is a crapshoot so we might as well take a shot at a top flight QB since we need one. We tried building the line last time with a top 5 pick, we went Offensive Line. That pick didn't dress for the Redskins today after taking a few years off to hit 400 lbs.

Exactly, and because it is such a crapshoot we should trade down for more picks in my opinion. It looks like we are going to end up with a top ten, we need so much help in so many areas...

And I'm pretty sure the Chargers tried to do the same thing with Ryan Leaf. Like I told you, crapshoot....

They are ALL crapshoots. Mike Williams, Erik Flowers. Also, it will take a few years for a lineman to develop, just like a QB. In fact, we don't really know what we have yet with the 3 linemen (one defensive, two offensive) we drafted LAST YEAR (couldn't we call last years draft the start of rebuilding, and call this next draft the QB draft?). If there is a worthy QB, it would be foolish to pass on him. I just don't know if there is one worthy ths year.

Just because you draft a QB high doesnt mean he is good. Look at J. Russel - he sucked every day in his life but somehow some football retards signed off and made him the 1st pick in the draft. Clauson doesnt do what it takes to win and is a little B word playing for a complete POS coach. Bradford may be an even bigger kitty who only dominated one year but no one likes to admit that Oklahoma team was a dominating run first/play action second team. Bradford never carried that team, but rather rode them to a Heisman. Considering the Rams/Browns/Raiders/Redskins/Seahawks could all target QBs and draft before us I dont think this is a good year. Our best hope is that a rookie payscale gets put in place which forces a lot of talent out early to cash big paychecks and we get a guy in the 2nd/3rd.

We need 2-3 new OL, 1 DT, 2 DEs, and an LB.