“Captain Morgan” pose was effectively banned by NFL

erynthered

What makes you think the NFL cares about kids? Been to a game lately? Can't go 10 steps without seeing an example of alcohol abuse in or out of the stadium.

That's neither here nor there. The kids are watching, whether the NFL cares about them or not. And those kids are idolizing the players they're watching, and imitating them at every turn. So it's probably not a good thing if said idols are shilling for booze. Although at least it's a premium spiced rum. I'd feel more strongly about it if it was Wolfschmidt or something.

"Welcome to the NFL on NBC brought to you by Budweiser. We are here at AT&T stadium, the Met Life blimp is overhead and we'll be right back after these commercials starring Brett Farve and Peyton Manning."

I get the NFL's point but I hope the PR flack bites them in the nether regions. The money is for a :blink: charity benefitting ex-NFL players.

IMHO it's akin to selling your kid's Girl Scout cookies at the office. Technically inappropriate but morally acceptable.

Capt. Morgan has to be loving it. More exposure than expected plus they don't have to donate the cash.

I think we can all agree Trent and Dick could benefit from having a little more of "the Captain" in them. :wallbash:

"Welcome to the NFL on NBC brought to you by Budweiser. We are here at AT&T stadium, the Met Life blimp is overhead and we'll be right back after these commercials starring Brett Farve and Peyton Manning."

I get the NFL's point but I hope the PR flack bites them in the nether regions. The money is for a :blink: charity benefitting ex-NFL players.

IMHO it's akin to selling your kid's Girl Scout cookies at the office. Technically inappropriate but morally acceptable.

Capt. Morgan has to be loving it. More exposure than expected plus they don't have to donate the cash.

I think we can all agree Trent and Dick could benefit from having a little more of "the Captain" in them. :pirate:

:wallbash::devil:

When I worked in the restaurants and the Coca-Cola guy would deliver I asked what would happen if he got caught drinking Pepsi. Damn, you would have thought I asked him if I could sleep with his teenage daughter. I once made the mistake (only once) of putting a Pepsi product in a Coca-Cola cooler.

I have a friend that works for Pepsi in their HQ nearby. He does not find humor in cola jokes.

Meh - it's the NFL's product, they get to decide who profits from it and how. I think they're generally wrong to limit celebrations, but I think it damages the game if the players are constantly shilling during the freaking game. Not that they don't already with all the branded gear, but at least that's sort of consistent.

How would you feel if a player who just scored a TD took a sign out that read "Drink Coca-Cola?"

I'll tell you what, with the flow of the current game:

touchdown

commercial

extra point

commercial

kickoff

commercial

every punt or turnover - commercial

How much worse is a player holding up a sign or striking a capt morgan pose (other than the obvious TV networks not getting money that will be in turn partially given to the NFL)?

The NFL isn't about the players playing the game, having fun, or the fans enjoying themselves. The NFL is about corporate America filling up luxury boxes and paying for advertising to one of the networks or directly to the owners. The NFL is a business with no concern for its product. This year's product (Bills aside) has been relatively poor between poor officiating, bogus rules that take away the game from the players, and stadiums half empty due to overinflated prices in a down economy.

I'll tell you what, with the flow of the current game:

touchdown

commercial

extra point

commercial

kickoff

commercial

every punt or turnover - commercial

How much worse is a player holding up a sign or striking a capt morgan pose (other than the obvious TV networks not getting money that will be in turn partially given to the NFL)?

Why did you bother to post if you were just going to answer your own question?

The NFL is a business with no concern for its product.

Business? Of course, why do people insist on thinking otherwise?

No concern for its product? Hardly. They have a huge concern for their product, as that is what keeps the business thriving.

How would you feel if a player who just scored a TD took a sign out that read "Drink Coca-Cola?"

At this point a Bills TD would supercede all morality. I wouldn't give a crap if the said player dropped trou and showed the Ralph how to apply his new favorite Hemorrhoid cream.

NO FUN LEAGUE strikes again, IF Capt morgan became the official rum of the NFL this would change... GREEDY F'ers

Also best Capt Morgan drink is the Cable Car:

1/2 oz Orange Curacao liqueur

1 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum

1/2 oz lime juice

1/2 oz sweet and sour mix

Combine everything in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Or Capt and Ginger ale is awesome as well.

Thats what I drank the night before my Colonoscopy. Cleared me out reaaaaaaaaal good. :blink:

That's pretty funny, but I gotta side with the NFL on that one.

Yeah.

Just like they all have to wear their uniforms from a certain maker, with shoes, socks up to a certain level, etc.

Image is everything.

But I would have never associated the 2 if not for this article. Players do such stupid things after they score a TD, sack a QB, or catch an INT. I like the 'ol idea that Barry Sanders used to have: act like you've been there before.

Business? Of course, why do people insist on thinking otherwise?

No concern for its product? Hardly. They have a huge concern for their product, as that is what keeps the business thriving.

I disagree. When you take the violence out of a sport, you are going to turn off the fans. Players are meant to get injured especially since helmet design hasn't translated into players wearing the newer safer helmets. In addition when you take the fun out of a sport, you have less motivated players. I think the Chad Johnson thing should have been fined lightly, but a Capt. Morgan pose is fun and worthwhile for a good charity. Way too !@#$ up NFL