Howard Simon this am

jahbonas

UB plays a home game and is nationally televised on ESPN2

Does howard Simon attend the game? no

Does he watch the game at home on ESPN2? no

He instead brags about instead watching an ESPN show on jimmy the greek and then on this morning's show makes the whole early discussion about gambling and sports and how he does not gamble etccc

Helloooo?? Wouldnt it be his job to watch the nationally televised UB game and then discuss it this morning?

The ESPN30 show will be repeated numerous times...

Its just more evidence these guys (Howard & Jeremy) are not native Buffalo guys....Jeremy cheered when Scott Norwoods kick went wide right...and Howard will talk for a week about driving home to Long Island to attend his Mets game but cannot even attent or watch the game on ESPN2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UB plays a home game and is nationally televised on ESPN2

Does howard Simon attend the game? no

Does he watch the game at home on ESPN2? no

He instead brags about instead watching an ESPN show on jimmy the greek and then on this morning's show makes the whole early discussion about gambling and sports and how he does not gamble etccc

Helloooo?? Wouldnt it be his job to watch the nationally televised UB game and then discuss it this morning?

The ESPN30 show will be repeated numerous times...

Its just more evidence these guys (Howard & Jeremy) are not native Buffalo guys....Jeremy cheered when Scott Norwoods kick went wide right...and Howard will talk for a week about driving home to Long Island to attend his Mets game but cannot even attent or watch the game on ESPN2

For as small town as Buffalo is, and for as much a part UB is of the sports community in WNY, you would think that a nationally televised game would have been a priority.

I wouldn't only fault those 2 bozos, as the stations producers would also seem to deem it not enough of a priority worth of discussion.

A perfect example of what ails the area. WNY is too divided to truly grow and succeed. There needs to be a complete and united approach to marketing the area. Clearly, Simon does not get it.

i have turned off the radio, but every once in a while you instinctively go back to see if anything sports-related is being talked about. yesterday i tuned in at 3 PM and they were doing an "actors draft", whatever that is; i checked again at 5:45 PM and they were just finishing round 10 of the "actors draft"........they did this for an entire show? on the day of a nationally televised football game?

sometimes you're stuck with regular radio in the car and tune in.......but it's gone way beyond pathetic local sports radio....i know the answer is "turn off the radio", which has been accomplished, but what about GETTING some local talk sports radio? don't we deserve something? anything?

there is no way this station won some sports award as the best sports station in the world or whatever......the region WANTS something to tune in to, not just to shut off the radio.....

any suggestions?......great thread because i think we deserve more around here, not just to be told to shut up and take what we are given.

In a 3 or 4 hour radio show, I'm sure they'll get around to it. I have to imagine that discussing sub-.500 football teams and their mistake-prone performances has grown tiresome for all sports commentators and journalists in Buffalo this fall.

In a stadium with capacity of 30,000, the announced attendance was 13,000- which probably means about 9,000 were actually there. It's tough to blame 30% capacity on radio hosts who don't have Buffalo ties. Plus, it's a call in show. If listeners want to discuss it, they will.

And the Jimmy the Greek show was pretty darn good.

I agree with you guys. UB football is probably 3rd (behind Sabres and Bills) in National publicity and local interest. I know WGR does not have the radio rights so therefore, they don't discuss them much. I like Howard, but I HATE when he brags about not watching certain games or certain sports. It is his job to watch. Even the NBA, i hate the NBA but if i were a sports talk host, I would certainly make it my business to watch some and be able to talk intelligently about it. He and Jeremy should be able to have a 10 minute discussion about the UB game last night. Even if it's to discuss the state of the program or certain players. They don't even have to talk about the specific game. Lame

In a 3 or 4 hour radio show, I'm sure they'll get around to it. I have to imagine that discussing sub-.500 football teams and their mistake-prone performances has grown tiresome for all sports commentators and journalists in Buffalo this fall.

In a stadium with capacity of 30,000, the announced attendance was 13,000- which probably means about 9,000 were actually there. It's tough to blame 30% capacity on radio hosts who don't have Buffalo ties. Plus, it's a call in show. If listeners want to discuss it, they will.

Isn't that the point, though?

Isn't it the job of the local "top dog" sports radio "flagship" to help advertise the game? Give "props" to the UB football program for getting to the national TV level again? Help get people to the stadium to show the support that WNY gives its sports programs?

Seems a bit irresponsible.

You have to be joking? The Jimmy the Greek show will be repeated 50 times !

UB was on NATIONAL TV ESPN2.....but somehow a jimmy the greek show is more important

And please dont try to imply that the callers in drive the show.....that is never the case

These guys survive (and get awards) because they are the only sports show on in a sports crazy town....unfortunately we all have no alternative but the continual crap discussions they provide

Isn't it the job of the local "top dog" sports radio "flagship" to help advertise the game? Give "props" to the UB football program for getting to the national TV level again? Help get people to the stadium to show the support that WNY gives its sports programs?

No, it really isn't their job, any more than it's the News' job to cheerlead for the Bills and Sabres. If those teams want advertising, they can pay for it.

Just curious, since I don't get Time Warner SportsNet Buffalo out here in the boonies: how many UB games has Simon done for TV this season? I've heard at least one (when I was visiting family up there), and I know that he did the local-access TV broadcasts last year after losing the radio play-by-play gig when they switched from WGR to WECK.

I have a solution for the whiners....buy your own radio station and program as you like.....NOT EVERYONE LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE...get over yourself......the Jimmy the Greek show was great....ACTOR DRAFT WAS GOOD STUFF

Thats fine to talk about actors and what ever BS these guys want to throw our way, but then don't advertise as SPORTS radio.

I don't disagree with you. However, their job is to sell advertising for their station, not to tell people what they should get excited about.

Like I said, I'm sure they will discuss the game in detail. They have plenty of time to do so. It just so happened that for the 15 minutes that jahbonas was listening this morning, they weren't talking about what he wanted to hear. So it goes in radio.

You also have to consider that it was UB's second time on ESPN2 in two weeks. Their next two games are on ESPNU. They won a conference championship game on national TV last year, and played in a bowl game. In an ironic twist, shouldn't UB football be excited that playing on national TV doesn't exactly qualify as "OH MY GOD" territory anymore?

yea.....a sports talk radio station needs to talk sports......that's the point.

it's too bad that WGR spends time blogging on here defending themselves.....nobody else believes they are worth the time of day.

so do WBEN listerners get mad when they talk movies or god forbid SPORTS?

No, it really isn't their job, any more than it's the News' job to cheerlead for the Bills and Sabres. If those teams want advertising, they can pay for it.

Just curious, since I don't get Time Warner SportsNet Buffalo out here in the boonies: how many UB games has Simon done for TV this season? I've heard at least one (when I was visiting family up there), and I know that he did the local-access TV broadcasts last year after losing the radio play-by-play gig when they switched from WGR to WECK.

TWCS did 4 UB games this year. Simon and Rueben Brown did PBP and color. I do think there is an embargo on UB sports because they left 'GR for WECK. (A bad idea in hindsight.) FYI, UB is on ESPN2 next Wednesday and ESPNU the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's more national TV games than the Bills got. Of course expectations were high after their championship season in '08. Don't expect UB to be on ESPN much in 2010.

PTR