Obama attends return of fallen troops from Afghanistan

pBills

On a personal level, that's a nice gesture, and one I'd prefer to see more often, as presidents should have that awareness that when they deploy troops, some of them are coming back in boxes.

On a political level...I don't trust Obama (or most any politician, for that matter) to not frame policy around some "I was deeply moved to be in the presence of such heroes" victim-worshipping bull ****.

Of course people will always wonder the true intent of any politician being there. However, like said I do love that he was there. It shows that much more respect to those who died serving this country.

Actually, I'm not wondering at his intent - I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe this was a decent, personal gesture.

But I'm far more cynical when I wonder how this will end up being used.

Actually, I'm not wondering at his intent - I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe this was a decent, personal gesture.

But I'm far more cynical when I wonder how this will end up being used.

Unfortunately it will be used... and the sad thing is that it should be only for the families of those coming home in a box.

On a personal level, that's a nice gesture, and one I'd prefer to see more often, as presidents should have that awareness that when they deploy troops, some of them are coming back in boxes.

On a political level...I don't trust Obama (or most any politician, for that matter) to not frame policy around some "I was deeply moved to be in the presence of such heroes" victim-worshipping bull ****.

I agree on both counts.

I as well will give him the benefit of the doubt of his sincerity of this gesture. However, the first hint that I sense of this somehow being used in a political manner moving forward, I will be one of the first people to call him out for it.

I agree on both counts.

I as well will give him the benefit of the doubt of his sincerity of this gesture. However, the first hint that I sense of this somehow being used in a political manner moving forward, I will be one of the first people to call him out for it.

Believe it or not, I am right there with ya.

I agree on both counts.

Sorry. With his history, I cant.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* President Obama was on hand as bodies of soldiers who died in Afghanistan returned home

* DEA agents, U.S. troops were recently killed in helicopter crash

* Eight U.S. soldiers also killed by roadside bomb in Afghanistan

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/29/dover.bodies/index.html

Good that he did it.

It would be nice if he would get the troops home and avoid many of these flag-draped coffins altogether. Setting aside the fact that there's no "mission" and set of goals in Iraq, and that he's already gone back on his campaign withdrawal promises, the only goal that we can hope to accomplish is to leave Iraq and Afghanistan all !@#$ed up upon our departure. If we set THAT as our goal, we'll at least be able to finally say "Mission Accomplished." Personally, I'd like to set our goal to be "get the !@#$ outta Dodge."